A World Of Dirt...On A 500exc……ICELAND, w/ videos

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking time to share these awesome pictures and videos. :clap
    rtwpaul and adventurebound9517 like this.
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great videos Paul.
    You timed it right starting with Iceland. I've been curious about that remote island no one goes to for 20 years or so. Fascinating.

Curious, when you draw on the map with your sharpie, then show all the dirt roads, is that the roads on the map? Pretty sure it is. I've heard there's almost no there, there once you leave Reykjavic. So cool. Seems like a very unique blend of remoteness and western (euro) culture. in that sense, it reminds me of Newfoundland (with NA culture). I guess that makes sense being such a remote island (like Newfoundland).
    Cheers.
    mtnbikeboy likes this.
  3. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Iceland is a Euro weekend party spot. Cheap to fly into for a weekend of playing. … or it used to be. I haven’t been there for almost a decade now.
  4. Kyron

Kyron Oncler Inds

Oddometer:
    I googled but couldn’t find any info on this ??
    I wanna see that pic :D

Any more info to search?

thanks
  5. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    ****I have had this written up for days but the video because I was in remote areas wouldn't load to YouTube and stalled at 74%, just so you get the full package I stalled posting this too

I leave my little private building site and hot tub and continue eastbound, albeit not in a straight line, taking the coastal route to one of the many ends of the land

[​IMG]

There really is a whole lot of nothing up at 66 degrees north as you'd expect, one deserted farmhouse and a few horses, and some dude making noise on his KTM is about it.

[​IMG]

The horses stood and posed in the strong wind, I sadly didn't have a pocket full of apples or carrots, t trade for the shots

[​IMG]

A quick change of wind direction and one horse's mane rearranged and all I could think is, I bet everybody knew a kid in school with this haircut, regardless of what age you are

[​IMG]

A somewhat of a short none eventful day (the video will explain why) I went looking for a campsite, the first one was by the main road and full of flies so I continued north to a small village called Skagaströnd and happily paid my $8 for a secluded spot on soft grass, no flies and no traffic nearby

[​IMG]

As I'm settling in the tent for the night I get a message offering beer and BBQ, and all of a sudden I'm awake and checking a map. Totally out of the blue this Icelandic guy was told by one of his friends from Austria that I was in Iceland...and that's how this new friendship started.

he tells me to meet him late afternoon and he rides a KTM thumper, and can show me a lot of great routes on a map and maybe even ride a few with me...sounds good.

...but what to do with a whole day, go ride of course!

I ride another peninsula and keep amazing following a blue sky

[​IMG]

On a small backroad I pass a few 'turf houses' that were still lived in less than 100 years ago, can you imagine the respiratory issues this would cause?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As Iceland was moved away from being a Pagan culture to Christianity there is always a small church close by, in this case right next door! I was told even though the transition was welcomed by a lot of the population, they were also told if you still want to be a Pagan you can, but do it at home out of sight...whatever that meant!

[​IMG]

Looking at the map, my destination was Akureyri, and the peninsula to the west of it didn't show a way to get around, so I cut through the middle. I found out later that my map was missing the tunnel at the end!

...but some times it works out and the track I took made me feel like I was back in Patagonia

[​IMG]

I stalled for time and took some drone footage (in the video) in this area and then headed for BBQ and to find out what this KTM thumper was this guy owned, then he wheeled out this...

[​IMG]

6. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is quite the ride! Damn!
    ricochetrider and rtwpaul like this.
  7. GringoRider

GringoRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How did they mow the roof?
    scudo and rtwpaul like this.
  8. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hint : "Baaa - baaaa"
    rtwpaul, joenuclear and GringoRider like this.
  9. GringoRider

GringoRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a lonely looking lighthouse.

That Gibraltar Rally must be some event running all the way from the Baltic.

Another great update Paul! Are the stoplights hearts for everyone or just you?
    rtwpaul likes this.
  10. radmann10

radmann10 Old fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff Paul, now I need to add Iceland to the bucket list!
    rtwpaul likes this.
  11. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic update @rtwpaul! The video adds such a wonderful dimension to your images and story telling. And holy hell man, the images you captured of those horses are beautiful. I mean, all the images are second to none, but those really stand out - especially that golden brown horse - talk about contrast to the landscape.

Keep it coming man, keeps me going. Knobby side down amigo.
    bomose, mikegc, scudo and 2 others like this.
  12. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have to mow the roof on my chicken coop!:lol3
    [​IMG]
    rockydog, pir8liner, scudo and 5 others like this.
  13. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's with jail for lounging setup?
    mtnbikeboy likes this.
  14. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
  15. Zubb

Oddometer:
    I had the good fortune of working for an Icelandic company for 15 years. Your pics and vids pluck some old heart strings as I have many friends and experiences from there. I wasn't back into bikes at that time and only wish now that I was and could have seen more of the remote corners of the country.
    I do have a connection who plans on 'doing Iceland' with DRZ's and a LandRover support rig. I may need to ping him for a spot on the crew!!

Good stuff Paul!!! Thanks for sharing.
    joenuclear and rtwpaul like this.
  16. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gorgeous photos of the horses ! Thank you for bringing the world to us in all your reports. Places we can only dream about.
    liv2day and rtwpaul like this.
  17. Zubb

Oddometer:
    The Icelanders are very proud of their ponies. Notice their gait. Both right legs, then both left legs. My Icelandic chef buddy tells me you can hold a glass of wine under a full gallop and never spill a drop as they run so smooth. That's probably 'legend', but who knows. They are stunning creatures.
    JagLite and rtwpaul like this.
  18. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Paul. you're doing a better job than the Iceland tourism bureau. much better and i owe it to you for putting Iceland on my to-ride list.

take care and continue to keep us entertained and inspired. thanks.
    Mofrid and rtwpaul like this.
  19. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Who likes riddles?

I leave for Denmark tomorrow, entry is Ok, no restrictions because I have a valid vaccination card...but onwards the rules keep changing and I'm good with that and fully understand rules are rules...but also confusing, because my circumstances are a little different than the norm!!!

• The thing is I have two passports, US/ UK and I entered Iceland on the US one...good
    • I enter Denmark on the US passport, good too
    from here it gets a little sketchy, as I am not entering as a citizen of an EU/ EEA country via a land border after Denmark and can't swap the use of passports without leaving the schengan area which I'm not on these land crossings

So am I classed as...
    • internal border crosser
    • external border crosser
    • movement within Nordic countries so classed as a Nordic traveler with a US passport, but with non-residency
    • with restrictions
    • without restrictions
    • require a test even though I have the vaccination card
    • don't require a test because I have the vaccination card

I just spent almost two hours reading the Norwegian, Swedish, and Finnish gov. sites and I'm none the wiser, all I know is if I am in Sweden I can enter Finland, Finland into Sweden debatable, if I'm in Norway I can enter Sweden, but Sweden into Norway is debatable too. Norway into Finland is good too, the reverse, not!

The problem is I'll be in Denmark and the options are Germany via land, Sweden via land or ferry, Norway via ferry and I'm trying to get to Finland

...or as my Finnish friend just said, I could be the next version of Tom Hanks in The Terminal

or do I start learning Icelandic and stay put, at least I could say the place names in the videos!
  20. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Just try to make sure if you get stuck, that's it's in a country with plenty of trails to explore. :pynd
    AdvMoto18, scudo, JagLite and 2 others like this.