A World Of Dirt...On A 500exc……ICELAND, w/ videos

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    ok so not Denmark then!
    road trash, theailer, Tomaso and 6 others like this.
  2. advrockrider

advrockrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was going to ask the same thing! Like a chicken coop for the kids....

Really liking the video..
  3. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    was going to do an update, but I needed to reference this video and hadn't made it so did this one first, side by side comparison of the 500exc and 450rfr

I tried to trade, he wasn't going for it!

4. GringoRider

GringoRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is it possible to enter Denmark on the British passport? Seems to me it will be simpler while in the EU. Any American involvement just complicates things. I left there for the simplicity and reduced corruption of Mexico.
    Tomaso and JagLite like this.
  5. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    No, because I really won't be doing customs/ immigration because it's EU to EU or Schengen to Schengen, and now Britain isn't EU cause of Brexit...

and the US passport is allowed more places in Europe than the UK one at the moment

I'll have them scratching their heads on this one
    squadraquota, liv2day, Tomaso and 8 others like this.
  6. GringoRider

GringoRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah I forgot brexit.

I’d ride to Sweden via that bridge to Malmo and camp out on the island in the middle. That will be unique.
  7. EnterReturn

EnterReturn Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ferry from Denmark to Norway is easy, really. Ride bits in Norway that you haven’t, or not. Then Finland through Sweden.
    As reasonable as it might sound to me, I’m sitting in San Antonio, TX, envious of your dilemma.
    JagLite likes this.
  8. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    From the video: For anyone wondering where Paul keeps his spare levers, here you go :photog

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 9.27.45 PM.png
  9. The Cone of Silence

The Cone of Silence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a mob over here in the Blue Mountains who breed them - my goddaughter has been learning to ride on them and they do naturally 'tolt', it's such an odd-looking gait but it's like driving a rolls royce - ridiculously smooth ride. Smells worse than a roller though.
    MotoMinded, Zubb, scudo and 1 other person like this.
  10. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have fun sorting through all of that! I have no doubt you will succeed!

As for the cage it is the catico so our little cats can get outside and have chicken TV.
    rjnutt likes this.
  11. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Paul

Some of those pictures are just so amazing because of the way things are "scaled". Not sure that is the proper term. I am a snap shooter, not a photographer. In those landscapes you included a house or a motorcycle. That just makes the eye see how grand the view is. It certainly would be nice without the object for scale but that just takes the picture up a notch. Some of those pictures with a single house sitting in front of the mountains are just awesome.

Like this one.
    [​IMG]
    liv2day, rtwpaul, JagLite and 9 others like this.
  12. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    Norway is the only one of the Scandinavian countries that is a bit tricky - but you can visit because you are fully vaccinated.
    You can move freely between Denmark, Sweden and Finland at the moment.
    There are several great routes from Denmark to Finland. You won't get stuck.

See you Saturday :beer
    rtwpaul, snail73, Klinc207 and 3 others like this.
  13. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Out on TAT! See your work in Nevada @rtwpaul 39022EB4-789F-4911-942F-9E1CBE9634CE.jpeg
  14. Toe

Toe Grab your gear

Oddometer:
    A tad late and loosely related but icelandcarculture on instagram basically exclusively posts vehicles like this and tbh it is wonderful!
    As much as I love bikes there is a soft spot for big purposeful cars/trucks/lorries :raabia

On another late note I totally agree with what you said about your videos and the style you've chosen. There is a beauty in simplicity and no reason to copy anyone else otherwise what would be the point :lol3
  15. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Last I saw (recently) you're still posting Iceland stuff on IG...
    I know I'm not the only one thinking about you Paul, Hope your move over to Denmark is going (has gone?) well brother.
    keepshoveling and ScotsFire like this.
  16. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Ditched the center bag and a bunch of weight and my host took me on a grand loop seeing some of the sights east of Akureyri...

The first part was to take the old mountain road out of town and not use the new tunnel, this involved a bridge crossing that I thought was a relatively new construction...wrong! Built in the '20s!!

This was on the 832 or Vaðlaheiðarvegur if you want to know more precisely, easy language, right?

[​IMG]

Feels like a totally different bike just with the top bag off, but if you Mosko R80 owners will notice I also don't have the bottom bags so mine is actually an R72

[​IMG]

The first big sight of the day is Goðafoss, that strange 'd' is pronounced 'tha' so the word phonetically would be Go - tha - fozz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was Húsavík, I'm not too familiar with Will Ferrell movies but allegedly the movie Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga was filmed here. In normal times it's now a bog center for whale watching tours

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and it's cold out there, I didn't go, been there done that multiple times in the past

[​IMG]

Next on the tour was Asbyrgi, rumor, myth, and legend says the horseshoe falls were crated by Odins horse

[​IMG]

it was a walk down into a canyon with wildflowers everywhere and some of the clearest water imaginable and multiple fish easily visible enjoying the sunshine like all the onlookers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A short ride further south and we reach Hafragilsfoss one of the three waterfalls in the chain, its a lot smaller than its bigger neighbor Dettifoss and a lot quieter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

looking up the canyon towards Dettifoss

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The volume of water and the pure sound volume of the falls is amazing, regardless of the time of year, it flows like this! Watch the video to see it in action

[​IMG]

A little west its Námafjall Hverir where there are geysers and mud pots and a stench exactly like you'd expect, rotten eggs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A day off the bike saw me doing a little E assist MTB riding, I seriously want one of these, too busy playing with the controls to more than this shot when the battery ran out!

[​IMG]

After a so-called rest day, I headed back towards the south coast and hit the dirt again and everything that goes along with it in Iceland

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after over 100 km of riding the track above and having too much fun, I realized I was on the wrong track and this was a dead-end! Make a U-turn and go find the F-35 on the other side of the mountain

[​IMG]

When a track has a gate right at the start it makes it seem promising

[​IMG]

it started great and offered a great ride

[​IMG]

but within a few km's it turned honestly boring for the next 60km or so and I was literally falling asleep behind the bars

[​IMG]

then to the center point where I planned to stay at Kerlingarfjöll, to start with my only company was horses, midges and a fat tire truck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went inside to use their wifi and make a quick call that turned into a long call, when I came back out...this!!!

[​IMG]

I took off really early in the morning before the midges were awake and happily the F35 got a lot better, for reference, there is no water crossings on this route

[​IMG]

but just as I was getting into the groove it turned to pavement and Gullfoss waterfall appeared

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A quick stop off at an all you can eat Tomato Restaurant, that I didn't get ADVriders collectively barred, but it was close

[​IMG]

and back into Reykuvik where I had an invite for dinner, two days riding that felt like I had seen at least a weeks worth of sights

[​IMG]

Now you get to see the movie of the riding and few other things I didn't take photos of, including me getting completely lost looking for a waterfall in a cave in a farmer's field!

17. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    lots more of Iceland still to come, before I post further things ahead
  18. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gullfoss looked a bit different on my last visit..!

[​IMG]

As did the rest of Iceland!

Thanks for taking us along on this journey! I don't generally comment on RR's, but felt compelled to make an exception this time.. You are doing the dream trip that my wife and I started talking about after our visit to Iceland in Jan. 2020, just before COVID. Yes, we were on the tourist train (northern lights tour), but a reasonable choice given the time of year. After our trip, I've been wanting to get back during the summer -- on the motorbikes! Then to Europe via the ferry. I got as far as looking into shipping logistics, but that was about it. Time to start planning again..
  19. anadel

anadel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am enjoying your videos but I must say, I still prefer your dramatic photos. The power of advanced cameras and editing software makes for better colour and much better definition. Those horse photos are wonderful.
  20. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Paul... You got barred from an all-you-can-eat restaurant?

:photog

I'd love to hear that story.

Great update and video, of course. That 450RR is the stuff of dreams. Iceland continues to impress!
    rtwpaul and rjnutt like this.