A World Of Dirt...On A 500exc

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    I suspect Paul is in deep stages of moto withdrawal. He might have wasted away if not for the 390 Adventure ride!

Personally...
    I was getting close to the being a "protestor". Fortunately, the Governor opened the boat ramps last Friday so I got in some fly fishing for redfish.

Our 42 mile closed loop single track in the NF opens tomorrow!:clap
  2. AdvMoto18

Oddometer:
    Paul, is that your "crate" or the air carrier's? Who was going to fly it over for you?
  3. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My first guess was Pheonix. Better than landing in Spain and being locked down!
  4. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    ...or dying
  5. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I went to GOAZ m/c and they had a bunch to offer me for free, this is a Triumph crate, according to them the best of the best, when it comes to factory crates.

BTW shipping out of the US is an absolute nightmare, but doable which goes against common opinion, even so avoid at all costs if possible
    ricochetrider and ScotsFire like this.
  6. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No kidding. Wouldn't it be nice to an an "Air Canada" program through some air carrier in the States...
  7. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I was dealing with MotoFreight in the UK, they were doing the 'leg work', according to them and the agent I had in the US, the US is about 12 YEARS behind in doing dangerous goods cargo, compared to the rest of the world, their words not mine.

...and to make things worse, if your bike isn't complete and whole with everything BOLTED or Permenantly fixed then it isn't part of the bike.

For example, you cannot remove a wheel and strap it to the side of the bike to reduce your cost. The wheel is considered extra and must be shipped in a separate container...yeah!

A week or so prior to my shipment a guy was flying a bike with hard panniers, he could fit the bike in his crate with one attached and he strapped the other to the seat. Customs said it was no longer part of the bike so shipped it in a separate last-minute container and billed him and additional $3000.

Another guy about a month before, took a wheel off, I think it was a KLR, they billed him an additional $10,000, he told them to keep the bike!

Fly from Canada UNLESS you really need to be in Europe before the season, like I did...or seriously do your homework, or pay the price.
  8. mtncrawler

Oddometer:
    Jebus, that's ridiculous. Great advice. A few years back I left a job to travel via moto overseas for a few months. I worked with Motofreight to suss out options from the US (great to work) but in the end had planned to extend the ride to Calgary to take advantage of the AC deal. Things changes though and was forced to stay in North America (still got it an 8000 miles trip!). That original plan is now back on the front burner though....for whenever this C19 mess gets clear (although that's like to be a while).

EDIT: Say, I watched your bike video review on the 500EXC build...and I probably missed it, but what did the weight (wet or dry) end up being?
  9. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    It came in at 301 lbs, with about half a tank, R80 on mostly loaded, in the crate my goal was sub-400lbs

I did it to stay under some bizarre level US customs created, but then when I was told the wheels stay on, it went by volume, and that weight was closer to 800lbs...but then they offer me a volume discount which brought back down again... disorganized chaos, is a good description
    scudo, JagLite and Davidprej like this.
  10. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I want to go hard on the Iron butt lighthouse game so flying AC or WestJet will be the deal as I want to see the oldest lighthouse in the world in Spain.
  11. mtncrawler

Oddometer:
    :lol3..for sure. Thanks for the weight. I was curious to how it compared with my 650X build (320 dry..more like 420 with fuel, extra build goodies, and luggage). I knew it wouldn't be close...just always looking for the next alternative.:D
  12. McCarthy7

McCarthy7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Paul, any concerns with the suspension compressed so much in the crate? I've always thought the fallacy that strapping a dirt bike down to hard in the back of the truck blows seals, and thought that was nonsense, but that bike appears on the bumps?
  13. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Actually if you look at the top of the forks they are dropped in the trees so it gives the visual that it’s cinched down more than it actually is.

Also look at the straps there are three per side rather than the standard two per side.

The two rear ones pull down and rearward the the fronts pull as well but it means less suspension compression.

The bike only had to be cinched down a few inches below the top level of the crate. Nothing too severe.

I used to ship bikes from my shops worldwide and never had a bike pop seals or fall during shipping. So now treat mine same as my prior paying customers.
    scudo, DesertRatliff, JagLite and 8 others like this.
  14. McCarthy7

McCarthy7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good info, thanks.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  15. Nataraj85

Nataraj85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes good to know...
  16. BDG

BDG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I flew my bike from the UK to Vegas but as you say the cost and aggravation of air freight back from the US was ridiculous. I ended up sending the bike back sea freight from LA to the UK. An awful lot cheaper but sea fright takes so much longer and is less reliable on time scales. Not a great option if you're on a deadline, which I wasn't as the bike was coming home. Good job as US customs wouldn't release the bike for a month as incoming customs at Vegas hadn't ticked a box so they said the bike didn't exist in the USA despite it being in front of them.
    JagLite likes this.
  17. AdvMoto18

Oddometer:
    Thx for the crate info!

Shipping motos...that's what I heard several years ago. I know more than a handful of riders on the east coast who drive to Toronto or Montreal to ship their motos to UK or Europe.

The rules for cargo on commercial aircraft (especially for those airplanes carrying passengers for revenue) became extremely complex after the 1996 ValuJet accident in the Everglades attributed to 144 oxygen-generating canisters improperly secured, labeled and packaged in the cargo hold of the plane. Today, punishment for an individual or company is extremely severe (a rightfully so IMO) for improper handling, packing, labeling of cargo transported on an airplane. It's not exactly like a pilot can pullover and get everybody out right now.

I knew the Captain of Swiss Air 111 that crashed off Nova Scotia. Fire and smoke (not from cargo) in the cockpit led to this crash along with other circumstances. I can't imagine a much more difficult situation onboard an airplane than a fire of unknown source and no ability to fight it.

So, as a retired airline captain, I do not mind the onerous paperwork and preparation of cargo that is or has been flammable, toxic, or explosive nature. And again, I know it is a PITA.

I can cite at least a dozen accidents without reference to sources where the aircraft, crew and passengers were all lost due to improper handling of cargo in some manner. Not the type of accident I want to see happen again...but we will.
  18. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    I understand what your saying here and fully agree with your thoughts on it.
    However, the games they were playing that Paul mentioned.....
    If wheel or side case separated from bike had to ship separate for a much larger separate fee, doesn’t sound safety related?. Just gouging.

I could believe it if they said fuel tank and battery had to be removed and in separate fire rated box maybe.
    BLucare and Davidprej like this.
  19. AdvMoto18

Oddometer:
    Agreed there are some onerous steps to ship OCONUS.

But, most of those, such as front wheel removal, are not related to government regs, but rather, the shipper and/or insuring agent stipulations. And they make no sense to me, either!
  20. Pete S

Pete S Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've read several examples of people having a good experience shipping bikes by sea with EIMSKIP. EIMSKIP is based in Reykjavíc but has ports of call in the UK, the Canadian Maritimes, and Portland Maine USA. I haven't seen examples of people using them to ship between the Reykjavíc and the UK.

When I go to Europe with a motorcycle, unless I went with Air Canada, I would most likely ship the bike from Portland to Reykjavíc with EIMSKIP, get a flight for myself, then explore Iceland. From Iceland, there's a ferry that goes to Denmark, with a stop in the Faroe Islands: smyrilline.com
    Magus, DesertRatliff, Saso and 4 others like this.