A World Of Dirt...On A 500exc

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got another Moto friend in Phoenix right now too. I'll tell him to PM you.
  2. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    to put it bluntly, as per the US agent, US customs are complete dicks, they purposely are told to be that way to stop people wanting to fly DG out of the US.

in the case of mc parts not fixed to the bike in location but strapped, the agent told me he was fighting tooth and nail against this explaining a motorcycle has two wheels etc. Customs point blank refused to allow the shipment and blocked the shipper who ended up going to Canada, so no not price gouging, actually the opposite. The agent was trying everything he could to get me a lower price as he knew Customs were making life difficult for mc shippers

According to MotoFreight, flying into the US is not an issue, and they can offer at least 12 times the number of shippers or in the case of the route I was looking to fly, my options US-UK were around 8-10, but UK-US over a thousand so prices are more competitive.

...but flying out now from the US with DG is required to go ONLY on a cargo plane, no more passenger flights.
    AdvMoto18 and Davidprej like this.
  3. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    This is valuable info. If/when I'm ever in the position to fly my bike over the ocean, I would consider what @Aaron.S did and ship the bike from Toronto. It's a short 11-hour drive for me, and seems well worth it to avoid dealing with U.S. customs.
    Davidprej likes this.
  4. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    OK I getcha.

It’s GLOCS syndrome your shipper is dealing with.

“govt lack of common sense”
    AdvMoto18, BLucare and rtwpaul like this.
  5. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I flew my bike from Toronto a few years back, extremely painless procedure and even easier when picking up in the UK, I was riding in less than 30 minutes, HIGHLY recommended

to give you an idea - screenshot flying the bike Toronto - UK 2016, $1482 shipping cost for me and the bike if you eliminate the hotel and taxi costs...but left it in there to give you the full picture

Now there is something hidden in here. Air Canada gives you these rates because you have to fly on AC yourself, not always cheap! Toronto to the UK I had the destination as Heathrow, and you are supposed to take the same route as your bike. I called and asked if I could fly to Gatwick instead, as there is a bus between the two airports for around $30, the difference in personal flight prices...$800.

I also fly one day later as it can take a while (8-12 hours) for the bike to get from the plane to the customs warehouse a few miles away and they (usually) give you the first 24 hours for free

Do your homework to save money!

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 8.25.08 AM.png

UK - Phoenix 2017
    Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 8.25.37 AM.png
  6. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    People frequently mention that concern, how long do you think the bike spends strapped down from the factory to the dealer that sells the bike?
    simmons1 likes this.
  7. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Illinois (right by that road with a curve in it)
    I have set up hundreds of Hondas and Yamahas. While they are certainly secured in their shipping crates, I have never seen one that had the suspension compressed.
    theailer likes this.
  8. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    Is it not true there is no need to compress the suspension if the frame is secured to the crate? Such as using the footpeg mounts to secure the frame to the bottom of the crate? Of course one still needs to lash down the moto at other points.
  9. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I flew my bike from Bogata to Miami , no crating or skid was required , it was only shrink wrapped for no added cost

How was yours shipped?
  10. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    I’m confused—-
    Do they just lay it on its side?
    How could you only shrink wrap, then ship a motorcycle?
    AdvMoto18 and Davidprej like this.
  11. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    So you are saying that Paul has his bike in the crate incorrectly?
  12. advdoctor

advdoctor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More than one way to skin a cat. Shipping is usually by volume and weight. If you can take 6 " off the top of the crate that can be significant. No stress on the seals, just springs kept under tension which may or may not be a problem (like millions of MX bikes on bumpers all over the world).
  13. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Flying into the US is a whole different ballgame, I have done the Bogota to Miami shipment too, just shink wrapping the bike around the bags and seat area, I'm guessing they put it on a skid later, and took it off before I saw it in Miami
    JagLite likes this.
  14. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    All depends on the crate, how it's built and of what and where it's shipping to and from which then determines how you can strap it down.

I had to work around the crate I was given, bike suspension was compressed a few inches much as you would do in the back of your truck. The ideal solution would be for the weight of the bike to sit on the skid plate and then zero compression would be required.

The target weight (originally) was 200kg for bike and crate, I could do this taking it apart but not having to keep it in one piece

if you really want to do you own math use a volumetric calculator - https://www.kkfreight.com/volume-weight-calculator.html
    Merfman, AdvMoto18 and knight like this.
  15. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was upright and shrink wrapped when I last saw it in Bogata and it was the same condition when I saw it again in Miami
    Southbound on the Stahlratte it was lashed to another bike ,secured to the boat and covered with a tarp

There is not a mark on the bike....from any shipping
  16. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    What airline? I don't want to be on that aircraft!

If a SA/Columbian cargo carrier, I'm not surprised. I've seen some amazing things in South America and Asia that make a US trained pilot say WTF!!!!

The reason I'm very discriminating what airline I fly.

National Airlines 102 crash at Bagram AB, Afghanistan due to cargo shifting during takeoff roll/rotation (a sad event). And this was a US charter but an airplane loaded by foreign nationals. The crew was way behind schedule and pushed to takeoff ASAP and didn't thoroughly preflight the cargo by checking every pallet for proper security to deck and cargo properly chained/secured to the pallet. Plus a host of other problems with the manifest weights.

You don't want this on a commercial passenger flight with motos and autos in the belly. Yep, the 777 and 380 might have autos under your seat.
    JagLite likes this.
  17. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Illinois (right by that road with a curve in it)
    Not at all. I was replying to the post that suggested that bikes shipped from the factory had their suspensions compressed. Hondas and Yamahas do not. Not sure of other bikes.
  18. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I have seen one of my KTMs come out of a crate with the suspension cinched down, and it looks like Beta compresses the suspension.

C748E1A5-793F-4123-B3A5-D817B070D7C7.jpeg
  19. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I compressed my 640 a bit when I shipped it to Whitehorse last year in a BMW GS crate. As Paul said similar to if you strapped it into a truck. I only had to take off the front wheel to fit and it was fine with 4 straps.
    AdvMoto18 likes this.
  20. Saso

Saso Happily sporting the DRD4 gene Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another shout out to EIMSKIP! I shipped from Portland, Maine in 2014 to Reykjavíc - incredibly easy on both sides. The ferry to Denmark on smyrilline.com was delightful. Having said that, Air Canada home via Vancouver from Heathrow in 2017 was equally easy.
    Don T, MrMac, Pete S and 2 others like this.