A World Of Dirt...On A 500exc

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Joining the thread late, but really glad I'm joining. On page 17 and half-way through, looking forward to reading and catching up on all that I've missed since '19.

Did the CABDR 6 weeks ago and really enjoyed seeing your pics of that and all the rest. You have me drooling over something more than the current 1" sensor point-and-shoot I carry on rides. As many others have stated, fantastic images.

Appreciate the time you put into this thus far, know it's going to be a great read over the next 17 pages :thumb
    rtwpaul likes this.
  2. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    An option I'm really interested in..! Is there another ride report or thread where the logistics of this are discussed, rather than disrupting this one?
    Davidprej likes this.
  3. Pete S

Pete S Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Click on *Forums Home* then use the search bar and look for 'EIMSKIP'. It's been mentioned in a bunch of threads.
    MrMac likes this.
  4. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Know this post is from way back in September, but wanted to quote as I thoroughly enjoyed reading. Your pictures of the area are stunning; and the story of the 650 rider making his way to the top of that pass is fantastic. And the shot of all of you in the distillery enjoying a whisky after the summit is great - sepia tone does it justice.

Still making my way through the report and hope you don't mind me bringing up bits and pieces from the past; believe they're worthy to "re-live" as it were.

What a killer report, so glad I subbed.
    JagLite, ScotsFire and rtwpaul like this.
  5. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Have wanted to quote so many posts and images as I've read through the pages of your report; haven't as I know they're from late last year. But this sequence and those that follow from the Grand Canyon (and little CO River Canyon) - speechlessly stunning. There's so much of the world I want to explore, it's easy to forget how much beauty exists "right around the corner" in the US. Thank you for taking the time to document these in this report, travel bug is itching something fierce.
    woodzrider and ScotsFire like this.
  6. liv2day

Oddometer:
    This ^^^

Frickin' awesome, laughed my arse off when reading this post and the exchange you had with Dave. Killer capture of that critter. I remember coming across multiple tarantulas in my Baja ride, they're just out and about doing their thing. Seriously awesome pic @rtwpaul, that's National Geographic worthy.

And yeah, I'm re-thinking my plan of getting a bivy setup for riding in the desert when elevation won't be a factor. Think I'll stick with my tent and just deal with the extra weight, don't want to wake up with any of them thar arachnids warming themselves by my side :lol2 :lol2
    RedHawk47 likes this.
  7. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
  8. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Zubb likes this.
  9. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    Oops :photog
    2 rtw in my subscriptions and I pick the wrong one. What are the odds!
  10. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Around 50%.
    08StangGT_CS, Foiler, td63 and 17 others like this.
  11. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did a title change to make it more obvious, this will now be the main thread ongoing...I did start a new one but seems pointless to continue there as so many of you are here already.

Once the madness clears a little I'll be hitting the road, not internationally initially, because of so many border restrictions, but travel will commence very soon.

All this downtime has given me a chance to come up with a nuts offroad loop to keep me occupied in the US/ Canada until borders open and are fully functional.

Hold tight with comments/ questions/ opinions until I get moving and then I'll let you know all about it. :D

.:hide
  12. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Paul, not sure if you are aware, but US/Canada border is still closed at the moment.

Cheers
    rtwpaul likes this.
  13. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you're going to want to be super careful out there, I'm thinking roaming around the US right now mightn't be sensible.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  14. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Paul. Well, in a perfect world starting today, I should have sent you an e-mail about my experience getting into Vladivostok with Helge Pedersen's World Tour 2020. I'm very sorry our plans were interrupted! Our bikes arrived from Japan a couple of weeks ago and Helge got the containers yesterday from US Customs in Tacoma. Along with friends, they took them to a storage facility. That poor guy has worked his proverbial tail off trying to make this trip happen but it just wasn't meant to be. I'm waiting a bit longer to fly to Seattle and take a month or six weeks getting back to North Carolina. Since I can't do it this year, I look forward to seeing the world through your lenses. Safe travels!!

Mike
  15. goodquest

goodquest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed
  16. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Paul
    if your U.S. loop brings you anywhere near me, you know you're always welcome to pop by. Look forward to reading & seeing whatever this ride brings. Loads of luck, brother!
  17. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:

He may not know where [ out there somewhere ] is.
  18. liv2day

Oddometer:
    ^^^ :lol2 :lol2 :lol2

I'll add a ditto to @ricochetrider's comment, though with a bit more geographical clarity :D. If you're in the Portland, Oregon area and need something, happy to open my shop, etc. I'm hoping to get out to the OR outback in mid-to-late June as I'm partially furloughed from work now - great PNW high desert riding there if you haven't experienced it before.
    outbacktm, BobcatSig and mikegc like this.