A World Of Dirt...On A 500exc

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    TBH I hadn't really thought about it, in public, I wear a mask, use sanitizer so my chances of catching CV and becoming an instantly critical case overnight are very small, the opportunity to get to somewhere within phone range are highly likely within hours of waking.

I'm more likely to break down in the middle of nowhere, days walk from the nearest person, run out of water, and die of dehydration.

If you think about these things you'd never leave the house, let alone your state or even your country...life is a risk in itself, the difference is how much risk you are willing to take to reap a reward that you feel is worth chasing
  2. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Well said. I like your attitude. :thumb

“Life without risks is not worth living.” – Charles A. Lindbergh
  3. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth I did a little research on the potential disease progression and how fast it may progress to severe symptoms.

For Covid-19 patients who have symptoms, the effects can vary widely. The most common symptom among those who have been diagnosed is fever, followed by cough, then fatigue, and in more severe cases, shortness of breath and other symptoms. The progression can come in phases. A person might start out with mild or moderate symptoms then on days five to nine it can really explode in those people who are destined to develop severe disease. For severe cases, and cases that end up in the hospital, they’re seeing quite a significant time lag between symptoms first arriving and the patient weakening and requiring hospital care.

This is good news for those travelling far away from home. There appears to be some time after you first experience symptoms until you might need medical care. That gives a person that is starting to experience COVID-19 symptoms time while they are only feeling lousy to get to a place that can provide necessary care if you are one of the unlucky ones that need hospitalization.

So it's not so much like a break down, it's more like starting to hear the sound of a bearing starting to go. You can most likely ride it to somewhere with the parts you need without a break down.

“Life without risks is not worth living.” – Charles A. Lindbergh Actually, Mr. Lindbergh gets credit for the saying but it was originally expressed by the winner of the first Darwin Award. Unfortunately, the guys holding his beer forgot to tell anyone. :D
  4. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    vroom vroom
  5. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dunno, Paul’s instincts are pretty spot on, I’d follow his lead!
    Wattner and Ladybug like this.
  6. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great to see you on the road. Hopefully you already made it into NM by now as the just implemented a mandatory 14 day quarantine for out of state visitors.
    However it ends up going, I am following along.
  7. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    I doubt that anyone will be aware he is visiting! :-)
    ScotsFire likes this.
  8. atomizer

atomizer Be here now

Oddometer:
    Welcome to NM. Record breaking drought year. Enjoy the heat and empty trails compared to Colorado. Have a blast....
    rtwpaul likes this.
  9. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    braap braap
    skibum69 likes this.
  10. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I've got no idea where I headed, makes it a little difficult when I leading this one-man show
    JagLite, Don T and Geezerguy like this.
  11. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Yeah, all good, besides fill-ups for food and gas I think I saw three people in a thousand miles
    danh600, Geezerguy and gulfcoaster like this.
  12. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    unless they have a long-distance dB meter
    gulfcoaster and Ladybug like this.
  13. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    looking down at NM, and basically the start of the 'Shadow of the Rockies', to me I'm not seeing too many 'Shadows' and a lack 'of the Rockies'...time will tell on this rarely ridden route...?

[​IMG]

I get 'down there', and see this sign and it strangely gives me a tingle of excitement, maybe I cast judgment too soon?

[​IMG]
    SDR82, Rich Rider, BillUA and 30 others like this.
  14. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Paul--------enjoying your story and pics.
    I really enjoyed the NM Shadow of the Rockies ride.
    It's all pretty low elevation stuff--------you probably new that.

But I think we both enjoy seeing something different.
    It don't have to be "spectacular".

A couple three years ago me and Road Dad made a loop out it when we combined the NMBDR with it.
    Made an awesome ride.

BigDog
  15. Hobbomock

Hobbomock I's wide open

Oddometer:
    Extreme social distancing.
    Jedi2Rider, Crash217, rtwpaul and 2 others like this.
  16. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Does the 500 have a new plate that says RTW 3 or 4 or 5 or
    RTW SIX?
  17. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pauls tracks have left the "R" to be redefined. A New definition that is yet to be written.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  18. rtwpaul

Oddometer:

Hey Mark, I looked at it the same way SOR/ NMBDR, a decent loop to cover some fresh ground
  19. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I didn't bother this time, after using 'RTW' and 'RTW2' and it causing problems at borders with computer systems for entry needing and expecting certain formats from certain countries I just went with what the state issued but by chance its ended up being kinda motorcycle related
    roadcapDen likes this.
  20. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    The Shadow of the Rockies is an eastern New Mexico route, the name is a bit of a misnomer, as you are riding on the eastern Stateline a lot with Texas, I personally would call it New Mexico Hill Country Trail if I wanted it to be more descriptive of what to expect.

Riding from the North headed South the opposite of how the route is set up most likely makes my name more apt, but if you were headed north the Rockies would feel like they were right (in the distance)there for most of the ride.

In no time at all, I'm in rolling hills, straight fast dirt tracks and more abandoned farmhouses than I could count

[​IMG]

Every clump of trees was a farmhouse and I don't remember seeing one that was inhabited

[​IMG]

Even stopping into a small town to find water was a challenge, not a single person around but I did find a firehouse with an outside faucet to fill up and carry on, the temperature was topping 105 degrees

[​IMG]

Then it was more rinse and repeat along section 6 heading to section 5 of the route

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A series of barbed wire gates down a steep section showed promise of maybe a bigger spread and people and maybe a store with food and water, but no, all they were there for was to stop cattle getting into a small washout at the bottom

Again another abandoned homestead with treasures of the mechanical type laying around

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a day or so of this, it becomes the norm and you start to appreciate the pure emptiness and desolation you are riding through, any signs that pop up suggesting there might be something of substance ahead of you, you now quickly ignore and realize they were put there for the previous generation

[​IMG]

A sign gives promise of tough times ahead which we all revel in, I'm guessing they are suggesting mud, but as @atomizer said earlier NM is in a serious drought so a dust storm is more likely, and the wind was blowing strong enough to cause one.

[​IMG]

Once obviously well-used farm tracks are being taken back by the land

[​IMG]

...and then it becomes obvious why, and what the new farming is reaping...WIND POWER

[​IMG]
    'Bob', SDR82, Pete S and 42 others like this.