A World Of Dirt...On A 500exc

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    Most of the empty farmhouses date back to the homestead era of the early 1900s when the Eastern NM plains were touted as a farming mecca. Drought, Dust Bowl and the Depression ended the dream for most.Some held on into the '50s and '60s.
  2. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's great to see you on the road again. :gdog
    rtwpaul likes this.
  3. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any concern about finding fuel when you need it out there?
    NoelJ likes this.
  4. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's just sad because you know there were so many big dreams in those remote places, and they just crumbled into dust, the stories that could come out of each homestead could keep me enthralled for a very, very long time
    'Bob', SDR82, mikegc and 10 others like this.
  5. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I'm going to get on to this as a dedicated post, in a few posts, it'll tie in with the location I'm at, hold tight
  6. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
  7. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great update and pics @rtwpaul, even without the mountainous scenery!

Riding in triple digit heat in gear is frickin' tough though man, how much water are you consuming as you ride? I started going through 5 liters per day when I was recently in SE Oregon and would still find myself not peeing enough.

Keep the knobby side down and pics coming; great thing to check as I'm back at the work stuff now.
    JagLite likes this.
  8. Topcop45

Topcop45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Paul, how do you like the Mosko tank bag and what are your thoughts on it?
  9. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I am quite accustomed to (dry) heat having lived in Vegas for years and the Caribbean and Africa at other times for heat and humidity, it doesn't bother me too much at all and I find I can regulate my body temp quite easily.

I was riding with a doctor about a decade back and her simple suggestion was in extreme heat take 2-3 sips of water every 5-15 minutes, this way you will stay hydrated and your body can utilize the water to best effect, rather than taking big slugs which is too much for your organs to handle and a lot of it goes to waste. I go thru 3-5 liters a day.

Another trick that I use occasionally that works, is to wear a jacket fully zipped up tight except for one small opening, and have a water-soaked shirt underneath, this works as a swamp cooler effect and can surprisingly keep you very cool for hours...as long as you have reasonable momentum, I find it works better for road riding.

As for volume, I use a Klim Nac Pak, it has a 3-liter bladder included and it quite voluminous so I add a second 3-liter bladder for additional carrying capacity when needed as its the smallest lightest way to have an option to carry additional volume
  10. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    It works for me because its where I keep the camera, I had missed so many amazing shots because of having to undo zips/ clips/ drawstrings, etc. with this one its just one clip to get inside and a one-handed operation I don't find it gets in the way, but I know its there for sure, it's not a perfect fit on this bike, but it for me is the most functional I've found to date
    Ladybug, Rich Rider, BLucare and 5 others like this.
  11. BelgardaBuddy

BelgardaBuddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am happy to see you are back on the road again! Enjoy your adventure and have fun.
    Cheers
  12. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. Really looking forward to seeing what kind of issues pop up with the 500, if any, after you’ve put some excessive miles on it
  13. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

My only living companion more than 12 inches tall in five hours

The rest of the time...this

[​IMG]

...and this

[​IMG]

I thought somewhere in a ditch I'd seen a sign for a drive-in, chances of it being open I wagered were pretty slim, it ended up being a lot slimmer than expected

[​IMG]

probably shut down when the Post Office closed

[​IMG]

I just go back to having trees for company

[​IMG]

I'm thinking about sleep, I know it's happening much later in the day but out here options for setting up the tent out of the wind are limited.

I keep rolling heading towards the Capitan Mountains and Las Tablas Canyon, Sam has a little sting in the tail here for riders, a section of about 25 miles of burnt-out trees from a fire a few years earlier and a boulder lined track of baby heads to basketball-sized rocks I wasn't expecting in the middle of the day, especially in 105 degrees, wasn't long before the fan was staying on most of the time.

[​IMG]

The section was a decent consistent climb that's made to look like a smoothish flat track...but it wasn't. If you want to go ride it, its FS130 and starts here 33.652005, -105.200939

[​IMG]

I meet a couple coming the other way in a Jeep around halfway, they stop to ask me how bad the rest of the track is as the first part they did they tell me the first 8 miles took them 3 hours. I look forward and tell them to expect more of the same.

I carry on, guess I prefer being on a bike more than being in a Jeep, in 30 minutes I'm sitting in a diner in Capitan eating chicken, fried chicken wondering if the two of them will make it to the paved road before dark!

I had a look at the map while eating and Bonito Lake sounded like it would have great areas to possibly camp, when I got to the area all the traffic coming towards me was massive dump trucks, then a sign.

[​IMG]

Why?

[​IMG]

The lake is empty, EMPTY...to the bottom of the dam...damn!

I keep on rolling and night falls I find myself on top of a mountain looking outwards Alamogordo in high winds but safely away from anyone,

[​IMG]
  14. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    I lost one of my off the bike shoes on that road and maybe some fillings also. Thanks for the pics, I always think I should stop but rarely do. C2FC3D68-DA0E-4415-AB0C-E9E8209827DF.png
    HiJincs, BLucare, bomose and 4 others like this.
  15. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great photos and narrative. Thank you. You've probably been asked this a lot, and answered it a lot, too, but could you give a brief description of how you get those beautiful night sky photos with clear starry skies and the bike and tent (and occasional campfire) so well lit from the front? I'd love to give it a "shot" :lol3
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  16. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a great view from the top of that mountain.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  17. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I would actually say that was a pretty lame shot, there was a 3/4 full moon, very strong wind so difficult to get a solid focus with my camera on a tripod, there is a slight blur in there.

Basics are - use a flashlight to highlight one spot and use that as your focus point, set your focus then turn autofocus off, have your camera usually on 800 -3200 ISO to stop too much noise and then adjust the length of the shot depending on light, in this case I had a GPS on in the tent for mild illumination and then did a quick light paint on the other areas.

This video does a good job of explaining it, then do a little research on 'light painting' and see which person makes sense to you the way they explain it.

If you want a lot more detailed written version, this is about as good as it gets LINK

SDR82, Pete S, liv2day and 14 others like this.
  18. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Paul, I always enjoy your photos. Today's opening photo is fantastic!
    Thanks for the link to the light painting video.
    Did you see the "Alleged UFO Impact Site (Jim Ragsdale site)"? About a mile after you left the pavement going up Las Tablas Canyon there is a road to the left going about a mile to the site (according to my Benchmark map book).
    Thanks,
    Dan
    rtwpaul likes this.
  19. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    I took a buddy on that trail years ago. This was his first off road trip, or any trip on a bike for that matter. I've never heard the end of it! He was not amused, I however thought it was a blast.
    rtwpaul and BLucare like this.
  20. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Waking up with the sun and the wind still blowing, I packed up and headed down to the valley floor and the heat. A short stint through a lava field, but no significant volcano-shaped mountain in sight.

[​IMG]

once it had all flattened out the sand begun, initially hardpack

[​IMG]

and I remembered back to Feb/ Mar when I rode this area and decided not to go to the end of the SOR trail as I'd seen almost all of this area already, instead I crossed over to the NMBDR and headed kinda northwest.

...but still more of the same, sand tracks in different conditions, from hard pack to silty soft, same from me, wide-open braap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nearer to the AZ border the trees reappear and I set my sights on the Mogollon Rim after a night in T or C

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

by the time I reach the Mogollon Rim its late in the day, the eastern section has some pretty good ruts hiding in the shadows and about 50 miles in I totally miss a boulder hiding in a rut, and hit it at full speed with my left boot and left peg simultaneously lifting the bike in the air with a loud thud but luckily I don't go down.

I stop to assess the damage and I had a nicely bent footpeg and no feeling in my big toe (and still don't), luckily wearing MX boots otherwise I would have a broken foot in ADVboots for sure.

[​IMG]

The plan was a quick stop in AZ, swap bikes, and head to LA for a week to do some test rides for articles and videos for the front page on four new models from four different manufacturers.

This had to be canceled now due to CA now turning the COVID-19 restrictions around @Rudy Head of Ops for this site and I decided maybe not such a good idea for me to head to the big city right now for health reasons.

This then makes me think about this ride in current conditions, I'd planned to ride from AZ to UT, NV, CA, OR, WA, ID then back south to UT and AZ

The ride in the US is special, but not overly urgent because I've ridden a lot of the western US (the image below might make sense of that) and at this time I think doing the right thing is more important, to me riding internationally is more important than that. So, for now, I'm gonna hit the pause button for a while. Sorry, I'll start this up again when I get back to riding

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 5.49.13 PM.png
    memento13, SDR82, lvscrvs and 31 others like this.