1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

A World Of Dirt...On A 500exc

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. benjamin1031

benjamin1031 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

If you're feeling philanthropic... what about building a bike for an inmate in need... of a bike LOL. More specifically inmates in GJ, CO who are incredibly witty, charming and humble...
    mtnbikeboy likes this.
  2. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I hope you will start a thread about what you are building and post a link to it here so we can all watch your progress. :deal :D
    Dracula, Geezerguy, dano619 and 2 others like this.
  3. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    As crossing borders isn't a possibility right now, I kept looking at maps and tracks and needed to ride, I got a craving for fish and chips really good oned, and the ones I knew that were the best I had tasted were more than a few states away from where I was sitting.

I sat down and planned a dirt route from Phoenix to fish and chips at the Crazy Norwegian, and then if by some miraculous chance an all curing vaccine appeared while I was on the road the RTW would continue, but it never goes to plan does it...but I digress...

I had shared earlier that I returned to Phoenix to sit out the pandemic, at the time Arizona was top of the charts for a while, sitting there with nothing to do, I looked at this daily and needed to figure out a fun route

[​IMG]

and from that mess of tracks, I came up with this

0A22B6A4-541A-4AE5-BE60-19E552B885AF.JPG

it was a mix of some TAT old and new, some sections of BDR's, and bits and pieces of tracks other riders had given me and stuff I'd ridden before, all I knew was that it had all be ridden at one point or another and it was almost all dirt. Time to load up and get out there.

It took 35 miles of pavement until I found this...

8454E052-AEFE-40F4-9CAB-597361FA7C5B.JPG
    Dracula, dml9, felixblack1 and 49 others like this.
  4. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yea, RTWpaul is back on the road, great photos and all.

You headed North or NW, from your proposed route it looks like North to start?
  5. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 11.41.57 AM.png
    Dracula, dml9, ricochetrider and 10 others like this.
  6. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great, thank you! How many miles and what is your time frame to complete if you don't mind my asking?
  7. flying.moto

flying.moto Earthbound Misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    fantastic, Paul! I did not subscribe to your thread for nothing! :clap

Your loop reminded me of a few years back when i rode GWT, and some sections of last month’s adventures!

I am itching to go to Colorado in a week for a short while and wonder how will the late October weather treat us!

Best of luck! :ricky
    waylongway likes this.
  8. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    it's around 8000+ miles, time frame - I really didn't have one
  9. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice! Safe travels Paul!
  10. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brilliant, Good to see you back on the road.

Also congratulations on teaming up with the MotoTrek team. Brad has some of the best training videos out there, you are a great fit with MT.
    The channel is “Must See” for moto content on YT, along with Ryan at fortnine.

11. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I think you are talking about Brett when you say, Brad?

He was just a presenter, it's not his channel, and he no longer does anything with MotoTrek, the channel is actually owned and all the filming, directing, and editing is done by Tim, and he does a phenomenal job, I introduced him to Dusty (@D-Train) to be his new coaching guy. I think he is a great fit.

That video you showed is funny in that people absolutely lost their minds because I didn't show them any food or how to cook or where and how I pack it, it was amazing all the comments and emails that came in bitching about it...seems a lot of riders really do need to be shown EVERYTHING
  12. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you do any reading while on the road you might enjoy "We Live in Water" by Jess Walter. One of the short stories in the collection is Wheelbarrow Kings, where a guy goes to great lengths to satisfy his craving for fish and chips. You'll be just about an hour or two north of where the story takes place as you cross into Idaho from Washington.

Safe travels! You probably only have a month or less along your route before you run into snow. I'm curious on your plan for dealing with the onslaught of winter as you head north into the mountains. Converting to a Timbersled along the way?
    Fast1 likes this.
  13. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going to get some fish-n-chips is as good a reason as any to go on a ride!
    ricochetrider and rtwpaul like this.
  14. RedWolf

RedWolf Corporate Zombie

Oddometer:
  15. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Cool. Looks like you're coming right through my neck of the woods. It would be cool to cross paths at some point.
    Kyron and rtwpaul like this.
  16. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice!

On the bright side, the fires will have likely subsided by the time you make it up here. On the questionable side; very real chance of running into snow based on where I'm guessing you're riding in the PNW. Regardless, can't wait to follow along.

And though your route follows the eastern side of the Cascade range, if you make it over to the west side and need something around PDX, reach out.

Knobby side down @rtwpaul!
    rtwpaul likes this.
  17. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    There is some amazing high speed two track (the type with just two dirt single track lines) up by Yack in northwestern Montana just east of Lake Koocanusa.

You won't want to miss this if you are in the area! That is assuming you won't coincide the route with hunting season and potential traffic or snow/ice. When I went through the area in early September of this year I didn't see anything besides a few elk and mule deer. The flow (mountain bike terminology) is truly spectacular, with significant elevation changes, nice radius corners and wide cut swaths through the forest to minimize danger which allowed speeds in the 60 mph range at times, even fully loaded with camping equipment.

It was the most fun two track I've had the opportunity to sample.

edit.. just checked your map and you are dropping down on the Idaho BDR before getting to this area... apologies if I am exposing a locals hidden gem..

upload_2020-10-5_15-4-18.png
    ItsDoAble, StanBo, Don T and 4 others like this.
  18. Comrade Art

Comrade Art Working stiff

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your new adventure :thumb
  19. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Paul may not get on that, but I sure as hell will!
    Fast1 and chilejack like this.
  20. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And there goes the neighborhood!