1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

A World Of Dirt...On A 500exc

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, Bret Tkacs - I see he has his own channel now, similar content (adv riding).
    Regardless, I think you fit well with Moto Trek - great production value too. They make you look good! :photog
    Positive move - lets you spend more time riding and less time with dealing with YT production (and channel/subscription building). However your content (with still photos) really shine in this format, hope that continues.
    I read the comments from all the ‘experts’ - so glad they can set you on the right track :imaposer
    — Kevin
    pir8liner, rtwpaul and Ladybug like this.
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the topic of fish & chips the only fish worth eating is Atlantic cod. speaking of which my supper last night was pan fried cod my fisherman buddy caught yesterday morning. You can't get fresher than that! Yum!
  3. theailer

theailer xr650r 2002

Oddometer:
    That would be something I would pay to see, two of my absolute heroes on the same road at the same time ;)
    ilten and philthyphil like this.
  4. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I appreciate my inbox and the thread filling with offers of places to stay (thank you) and additions/ suggestions to the route (all noted), just want to clarify this is being written post hoc...all will become clear, eventually, as I continue why it's written this way
    eakins, outbacktm, JagLite and 8 others like this.
  5. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    the dirt starts easy and the track is easy to see for miles ahead, but damn it's hot, probably around 110, and it's not even 10 am

[​IMG]

within an hour I've gotten away from the well-beaten tracks heading north to smaller and smaller tracks and before I know it I'm away from the hard sandy well-graded tracks and into rocks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...did you even notice the dog?
    Neither did I.

What’s that saying...never ride down anything you can’t ride back up...FAIL!!!

I’m on this trail about 75 miles north of Phoenix, nicely graded no issues, it gets a little rougher, turns to baseball-sized rocks, not an issue. then as the track lowers in elevation the rocks turn to basketball size and bigger and the elevation is dropping and the heat rising.

I’m confident in my abilities at this point but really don’t want to turn around. That when I reached this point. The track just ended, a wall of trees and a small river waist-deep, literally nowhere to go, no more forward progress possible.

I’m guessing at this point my audible cursing alerted this dog.
    It’s looking at me like...IDIOT, follow me...so I did.

[​IMG]

There is a wall of trees and bushes, and it walked through them, so I follow. Right there is a Jeep and a guy sitting in a chair resting.
    I ask him if he came down the trail I had just ridden down as to me it didn’t seem possible in his stock set up.

“No, I came from the other way!”
    Where?
    He gets out of his chair, and lifts some dense branches covered in leaves...”There!” He points forward where there was an obvious track but I couldn't even tell it existed from where I stopped my bike. "There's a couple of minor river crossings and about a half a mile of rocks and boulders, but nothing like you just came down, then you are back to the graded road"

I breathe a sigh of relief not to have to backtrack 60 miles or so.

Moral of the story...dogs are amazing to sense things when we know we are possibly in trouble.
    Dracula, dml9, OierXT and 55 others like this.
  8. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    That looks like a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. At 110° he really must've been looking out for you!
    murdock84 likes this.
  9. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    not 20 yards away there was a small river, I think she was having fun until an idiot rolled up on a noisy bike
    scudo, JagLite, headstaller and 3 others like this.
  10. TripleThreat719

TripleThreat719 Track Addict ADV Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Looks like she has a tracking collar on her, so she's probably pretty used to wondering off on her own and her owner (assuming it's the guy in the Jeep) doesn't worry too much since he can track her via GPS... Glad she was their to guide you...
    JagLite and dano619 like this.
  11. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    WoW! "Wonderdog Saves Day" (headline)
    Nice doggie.
    JagLite likes this.
  12. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Effin' outstanding.

That rocky stuff looks like hell; glad you found a way through. Imagine you might have enjoyed a break by the river too; riding in 110 is no joke man.
    JagLite likes this.
  13. murdock84

murdock84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a Chessie and I'm really surprised he let you get that close to him. Mine wasn't too much of a pain in the butt, but he would have for sure let me know that someone was around.

Looking forward to reading and seeing more.
  14. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    she was old and could only move at about the same speed i could thru the rocks :gerg
  15. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great story "from the road"
    Or "trail" in this case.

Man's best friend indeed! :thumb
    ricochetrider likes this.
  16. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    You know that feeling when you jump on what you think is a well-used trail at the end of the season and there NO VISIBLE tire tracks...

What’s ahead, impassable challenge or a fun track that people forgot about

[​IMG]

“The Wickedest Town in the West”

Once a thriving mining camp full of miners, bootleggers, gamblers, and prostitutes,

Jerome is a small town in central Arizona that most people get to by riding 89a or the back route of Perkinsville Road.
    If you look to the south of the town there is a track called forest route 413. It doesn’t connect to the town on maps...well it does in real life.

It’s a killer little rough double track that rarely gets used according to a local I met as I came to the end where a gate divides it from connecting to the town

[​IMG]
    Dracula, OierXT, dave6253 and 38 others like this.
  17. NAVIGATOR

NAVIGATOR Wanderer

Oddometer:
    SOUTH OF THE USA BORDER(friendlier Mexico)
    WoW it looks a lot like the back route to another former mining town, Real de 14 in SLP Mexico
    ScotsFire and chilejack like this.
  18. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I know that track, now you mention it...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    OierXT, Amphib, ricochetrider and 6 others like this.
  19. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Jerome is an awesome little town! Haven't been there since 2008, but it's a super cool place. It's worth riding through, if you find yourself passing by.
    cabnoir likes this.
  20. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    The one thing that no one likes to see on a ride, ominous clouds coming from the direction you are headed. The plan was to camp, but this storm was moving towards me quickly, and with no flat ground in sight on this track I had no choice but to ride straight at it.

[​IMG]

I got to this bridge like it shows 33 miles from Williams and then it came down, and with no clear sky in sight in any direction, I wussed out and got a cheap room.

[​IMG]

One thing about being in Williams was the opportunity to use Route 66 as a liaison stage to the next dirt road, I mean if you are going to ride pavement make something cool and interesting

[​IMG]

Then back where the bike belongs...

[​IMG]
    katoomryder, liv2day, OierXT and 54 others like this.