1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

A World Of Dirt...On A 500exc

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Paul,

Where is your "sig" line on your great photos?

Good to see you back on the road!!
  2. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    When ADVrider changed the format it restricted a multitude of links as a 'sig line' so the easiest way to find them is like @HandCanonShootr showed above for older ones or look on my website, there's a photo link or follow me on IG
    JagLite and ricochetrider like this.
  4. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Riding over a hill all of a sudden the trees thin out, the track gets rockier and holes in the ground are starting to get bigger

[​IMG]

I find a track between the canyons that reminds me more of Greece than Arizona with its white hew as I walk down a little and have the sun behind me to take a photo looking upwards.

The image doesn't even come close to the steepness I'm standing on, I wasn't intending for this steep trail but it was the only one I found going in the direction I needed.

The bike is sitting in first gear held there just by compression, I'm expecting it to do a little wheeze any second and roll forward

[​IMG]

The trail heads off into the distance, and from here it just feels like you are dropping into perfectly flat land with nothing to see for miles except a dusty trail.

[​IMG]

I roll into Cameron to hopefully get my permit to go on 'the res' and I find this at the office

[​IMG]

I head across the road to the big gas station with the Burger King attached to it, I'm sure some of you have done the same, the parking lot is empty, not a single car in sight. I pull up to the gas pump expecting them to be turned off, they're not.

I figure they left them on for people passing by, I rode through this area earlier in the year right as the pandemic was starting and EVERYTHING in the Navajo reservation was locked down tight, it felt the same.

Then a guy's voice, 'Hey! I'm open, come in if you need anything."

I go inside and the owner is the only person around, we chat for a while (masks on of course) he tells me about the hardship his people have gone through, how the Burger King had to throw away more than $250,000 worth of food and wonders if life will ever get back to 'normal' and his business will be able to survive.

"what's it like out there in other places, I don't believe what I'm seeing on the news?"

I tell him things are slowly opening up, and getting back to the new normal but people are very wary everywhere. He asks me if I'm concerned about riding right now. I explain the crazy route I'm doing and the chances of meeting people is minimal with the remote off-road tracks I'm using, and with the days worth of food I have on the bike I really don't need to interact too much at all.

"were you planning on seeing the Grand Canyon in the Res?"

Yes, I tell him, but the office is closed, as I point across the road, so now I guess, no.

"please go, you can't miss it, it's so remote in this area there are never any tourists, none of my people will stop you or care, but please just don't stay overnight in respect of my people."

I thank him, I didn't really need anything, but, I did buy stuff, I figure every little helps, I grab a couple more supplies, and head off to 'the ditch...'
  5. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Human interaction at its very best...thanks for sharing.
  6. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    we just came back from the moab, 4 corners area. no monument valley this year but we did ride around the goulding and west village area. many locals moving about. that hiway 95 to 12 has to be the most beautiful tarmac in the the US.
    thanks for keeping this report watered. enjoy Colombia.
    jays100 and mikegc like this.
  7. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Earlier in this thread, you'll have seen I rode around the Grand Canyon with @dave6253 last fall, so this time it's just a way to avoid the pavement, but still worth a look, especially because I have the place to myself.

[​IMG]

I even sent the drone up and watched it get caught in a mini-tornado, I was more concerned about getting it back and forgot to check I had the shot I was looking for...I didn't! But DJI made it sound adventurous all the same!

Then a barely visible track to continue

[​IMG]

After this section, there is no choice but to jump on a little pavement to get over the Navajo Bridge and ride past Vermillion Cliffs

[​IMG]

After crossing the bridge every track up to Kaibab Plateau I tried to take was closed, with either signs or locked gates because of fires, so more pavement :baldy

Not a problem as the Great West Trail was coming up and it was on the other side of the road and not any smoke in sight anywhere, but...

[​IMG]

...because there might be a fire is basically what it said

[​IMG]
    mikegc, TwilightZone, HiJincs and 9 others like this.
  8. Dracula

Dracula I don't want a pickle! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh you had to rub that in, hadn't ya?! :lol3:photog
    skibum69 likes this.
  9. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes I did.:lol3
    Dracula likes this.
  10. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is what we found most of the summer along the North Rim!
  11. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    Bummer you got turned away on those tracks. If you were in CO right now you’d be getting turned away by either fire or snow. Keeping it an adventure.
  12. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    "Entry by permit only"... and do they make it impossible to get a permit, or is it just too time consuming to get one? Seems like it'd be worthwhile to at least make the attempt to get one?

[​IMG]
  13. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    TBH I never really thought about it, it was maybe a 30-50 mile section, I think the office where you have to apply is further away than that...I took the pavement, onwards to better things, dirt
  14. RedWolf

RedWolf Corporate Zombie

Oddometer:
    Most likely the only people who can obtain the permits are fire fighting personnel, or forest service employees.