A World Of Dirt...On A 500exc

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:

What I hadn't realized when I originally dropped the bike was the switch housing had slightly rotated and as I thought i was slipping the clutch and other times pulling it all the way in I wasn't, the housing was now the new stop, NOT the bar, which is what the clutch is set to as its maimum pull.

What I was doing was burning it up. Like most riders, adrenaline kicks in and you get the bike up quickly after a drop and jump on it and take off...I did that too.

If I had stopped for five seconds to check the bike I would have spotted the twisted control housing, this was the ultimate demise of the clutch. I continued to ride how I always ride slipping the clutch where necessary but not how the clutch likes it because of the reduction of pull.

So I guess what I should have done is explain that in the original post! Apologies for misleading you, but a good reminder to check your bike after a drop for minor flaws that could come back and bite you in the ass later

for reference this isn't a stock KTM issue, it's an issue because I have an after market clutch lever that is slightly a different shape, since then I have bought a different switch housing that stops this being an issue...it's a learning curve.

So if you look at the photos below it will make sense, I was almost constantly climbing after the drop, when I stopped with the bike running in gear and the front brake pulled in to stop me rolling backward the clutch was spinning and slowly burning up where I thought it was disengaged but couldn't tell because I was on a hill...make sense?

Housing slightly rotated and reduced clutch action

6DE7DE74-E8E8-4F26-8E51-B5AA958D62E5.jpeg

Vs where it should be

C14989C9-4B21-4CCD-A09C-66CDA3AC259F.jpeg
  2. DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    Which switch housing have you bought, Paul? It doesn't take much movement for that bulky OEM switch housing to get in the way of the lever pull on my 2016 500. So far, I haven't found an aftermarket solution worthy of bolting on, though. Most aftermarket offerings look cheap and flimsy to me. Thanks in advance for the info and for taking us along on this trip!
  3. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It seems to be a problem that's common to the shorty levers....I hate the shorty levers :-(

If it wasn't such an ordeal and expensive as hell, I'd throw my shorty levers in the trash and replace them with normal length levers...
  4. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Raul for an easy to understand explanation of your problem. I am one to forget to look over a bike after dropping.
  5. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I got the Sicass one for a couple of reasons, its about half the width so it can be positioned so this can never happen, and it has an off position on the switch for the headlight, which is a plus for a low battery start or if I need to hide and ride at the same time :hide
    outbacktm, JagLite, snail73 and 8 others like this.
  6. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I look at it the opposite, full length levers are one of the first things I get rid of, I find I tend to use all my fingers on the lever simply because the space is there...not good for off-road riding

I zip tie the full length ones as spares to my radiator guard

...oh and the stock cast ones are more likely to get snapped off in a fall
    JagLite, snail73, cidi and 9 others like this.
  7. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I take the full length levers and shorten them before I add them to the spares.
    Sōul-ō and rtwpaul like this.
  8. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    After leaving the guys at Rocky Mountain I'm headed due west towards Nevada, in no time I'm off the pavement and in sixth bouncing off the rev limiter.

[​IMG]
    I take a quick look down at the GPS and it shows turn right to DEATH CANYON :hung I take it as a reminder to not come out here with a fried clutch...but I'm all good now thanks to the RM guys. If the day before I'd seen that sign it probably would have made me turn around rather than ride across with a slightly slipping clutch and heading to the Big Empty

[​IMG]

makes you wonder why places like this get these names, I looked but couldn't find anything, maybe @Joe Motocross knows?

Anyhoo...it was fricking hot! Along with showing steepness in a photo, heat is another thing that's difficult to show, but I tried to process this image to help you feel the heat.

[​IMG]

Looking back from the other side it doesn't seem that bad...but I guess people died here just the same. I know there were a few different Pony Express routes that came this way and used some of these old lake beds as crossing points

[​IMG]

Next thing you know here's Nevada, and an extra hour of daylight thank you very much

[​IMG]

20 yards further I stop to get a photo of the "America's Loneliest Road" sign.

Always makes me smile when I’m in this part of Nevada, people think this sign is about the road. It’s not.

The original comment was about the lack of communities and people that used to live in this area. It was said as a tongue in cheek insult by a journalist from Life Magazine on the east coast, but Nevadans being Nevadans took it as a compliment and used it to generate a little tourism for the area.

Nowadays it’s full of tourists thinking it’s about the road...

...but if you do want lonely roads in this part of the state there are more than a few if you’re just the slightest bit adventurous.

[​IMG]

a few miles later I'm all alone on this track, and won't anyone for a couple of days

[​IMG]
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great set of pics Paul
    BLucare, rbsride365, dano619 and 4 others like this.
  10. Neil_The_Wheel

Neil_The_Wheel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent photos Paul.... that is a great looking bike.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  11. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Great as usual, not much info' on Death Canyon in NV, lots in WY thou'?
    rtwpaul likes this.
  12. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Death canyon Utah. Not Death Valley NV/CA
  13. willmaniac

willmaniac Adventurer

Oddometer:

I had a very similar issue enduro riding in Romania years ago with the short Midwest levers. Very easy done. Best thing I ever did was go back to stock levers and run the perch as inboard as possible. One finger only, two if you must . Taking anymore fingers than this off the bars off-road is just plain scary ! But you have ridden many more miles and all riders are different.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  14. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Riiiight, my bad.

According to lore, the canyon was named death canyon, because apparently a large flash flood devastated a nomadic Indian tribe in the canyon and hence its name. More Information: Death Canyon is located in Simpson Mountain Range in Utah's West Desert. Active mining claims still exists in the canyon so please obey and respect all private property.
    bomose and rtwpaul like this.
  15. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent photos @rtwpaul. I've only ridden in NV for a couple days and can't wait to get back down there (didn't quite go according to plan) - so much awesome solitude.

Wish I was out riding right now; though not there this time of year...lol.

Knobby side down man.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  16. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent pictures narrated with just enough geographical/historical information to keep me hooked on google map guessing on possible routes that you have taken.
    Thanks again for taking your time to share :thumb
    Jedi2Rider, rbsride365 and rtwpaul like this.
  17. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    I don’t know the origin of the name Death Canyon. Zone was heavily mined. There is some ROWDY mountain riding there in that canyon and up over the Simpson Mountains. Haven’t been there in a while and you remind me that I need to go again!
  18. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    DunkingBird likes this.
  20. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup. Like... Deer Creek. Bear Creek. Bear Wallow.... etc etc.
    rtwpaul likes this.