A World Of Dirt...On A 500exc

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    good to have you along, the 'like' button isn't really a big thing, sometimes keeps the static down but also lets the writer know there are more than a handful reading beside the bots

...the end could be a long way off, just an FYI
    Foiler, Kyron, Bob599 and 49 others like this.
  2. DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    If ever in doubt of the name of anything in the state of Utah, chose an option from the list I've compiled over the years, then add the landmark to the name (ie Canyon, Island, Point, Creek, etc). You'll likely not be far off:

-Dead, Death or Dead Horse (Starvation is an acceptable variation; as long as death is implied)
    -Antelope, Deer, Bear or
    -Horse or Horse-Thief
    -Mill or Mill Creek
    -Cottonwood
    -Snow
    -Otherwise, feel free to make up a name. Something like or that rhymes with: Nephi, Lehi, Moroni, Moab, Provo, Pirogi, etc.
    veriest1, Don T, JagLite and 3 others like this.
  3. NevadaNick

NevadaNick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like the comments about the loneliest road, similar thing happened in Battle Mountain when a journalist named it the armpit of the world so the town created a festival around it with sponsorship from a deodorant company.
  4. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    that's awesome, and a great first post...welcome to the madness
    cidi, snail73, DesertRatliff and 4 others like this.
  5. Dusty Rider

Dusty Rider Seeking Neverland

Oddometer:
    What are these "bots" you speak of? How do you know they are bots? What is their purpose?
  6. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    big brother is watching every move YOU make, right now 249 of them are looking at you thru your camera on the top of your laptop, and you thought all the people on here were real :jack

Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 8.09.34 PM.png
    Blaise W, levain, Foiler and 7 others like this.
  7. Dusty Rider

Oddometer:
    okay that's just fucking weird! my brain doesn't know what to do with that info...
  8. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Don't worry, Paul is only partially serious.

There are probably only a small handful spying on you through your webcam, not all 249. :thumb
    JagLite, outbacktm and nutmagnet like this.
  9. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    They sound like they’re in your brain already....have been making strange random decisions recently
    JagLite, nutmagnet, snail73 and 4 others like this.
  10. Dusty Rider

Oddometer:
    go on...
    adventurebound9517 likes this.
  11. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whew! I feel much better now. Thanks!
    JagLite and BLucare like this.
  12. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put a piece of tape over the camera ion my computer so all they see is black.

And place names, there are many many Capelin Coves and others around Newfoundland.
    JagLite likes this.
  13. karter18

karter18 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Paul - Regarding your question earlier about the different Social Media platforms here is my take for what it's worth.

ADV Rider - Great resource and lots of ride reports. The great thing about ADV Rider is you get to follow the ride report in order and page through it easily. They do get filled up by others commenting which some are helpful and add to the story whereas others are just filler. I for instance never go in and state that I'm in. A simple like on the original post should indicate that. I do agree with others that there is a certain element to a ride report that makes it interesting and that is the author. You, Joe Motocross, Guy from Colorado on a silver GS - name escapes me are the ride reports I read, I follow others if they are interesting as well. If you are solo it takes a LOT OF WORK to make one of these reports - You have to take the photos and video and make up the content to report back. I'm not sure in this day of social media people know how much work that is alone. There are many instagram people that try and do the same but they have crews to help them with the story and it is easy to figure that out.

Instagram - Use it and follow you but I prefer to get your story on ADV Rider as it is an easier format to follow the story along. If there are too many posters like me mucking up the story with posts I just scroll past them and it's easy. Instagram used to be very good until Facebook bought them. The three guys who started it left Facebook shortly after they started inserting 'likes and followers'. The format was originally just about sharing experiences and now it is getting too Facebook-ed with influencers and ads, etc. I still go there but it is getting crowded with all that other crap over the good stuff. Plus much of the stuff on there is contrived to drive users to products. Your riding solo around the world and if Mosko says we want you as a brand advocate then that is a good choice. If they choose someone who has previously ridden all over and now is just setting up a camp somewhere, doing photo shoots to be able to hashtag certain products then that is where social media is jumping the shark and it has in many cases. This is typically easy to spot. I will add that I only used Mosko as an example and I don't think they would choose a questionable influencer as they are real riders and can spot the good from the bad but it's hard to stay cool and grow.

Facebook - Pretty much dead at this point for most people. I only post on there as my Instagram feeds it but I might turn that off. I also don't post too much unless I have something interesting to say and not what I am ordering for lunch, etc. Plus their algorithms suck pushing stuff that you have googled, talked about, etc. My wife and I literally one day talked about Green egg grills with our electronics sitting there and first banner ad I see on Facebook a few minutes later was the Green egg grill - so I bought a Trager instead :-) It has become a marketing platform that I hope most people can see through the BS. Plus I have a lot of friends that post their political views on there all the time and I am tired of seeing all that BS. Unfortunately, they are imparting much of these negatives onto Instagram.

Twitter - I only use this for info I need quick such as Fire Authority or Police info as this information seems to get updated quickly during a fire event, etc. as we have in So Cal a lot recently.

You Tube - Use this a fair amount and have a Premium subscription so I don't see ads which makes a huge difference. We cancelled our cable and do watch a fair amount of content on You Tube, Netflix, and Prime. Lots of good How to videos on there (and bad ones as well). But lots of good content for whatever you want to watch as well. It takes a lot of time, etc. to edit these videos so you have to take that into account as well.

I will say this, a few years ago I attended a seminar for car dealers regarding using social media for advertising. There was representation there from Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. All three said that on average you have eight (8) seconds to get your ad or point across. They showed an example of a 30 second ad cut down to eight seconds. Many said that you really only have 3-4 seconds before most user will swipe to the next video as they have such a short attention span. I follow a few manufacturers on Instagram but usually their posts are super generic and boring. Dealers or companies directly trying to sell to you have even more boring posts. The posts are ones that have a unique or Coolness to them. Unfortunately, for many keeping that coolness as they get larger doesn't always work very well as the users that Really Know that are in that arena the poster is in quickly see this transition and then they are no longer cool. Tough balance to maintain for many. Personally I think humanity would be better off without Social Media - Facebook - 100% Close it, Instagram - Close it or modify to the original format. Twitter - 100% close it down.

Paul - I appreciate what you do and your reports very much. I would buy products you use because you use them or Joe Motocross as you guys are real riders and have to have stuff that works and if it doesn't you will likely post about the failures or maintenance, etc. KTM should sponsor you and I was disappointed when you needed assistance and they did not assist more as I know there are people there that really care. Unfortunately, as with all manufacturers they are under more scrutiny internally as influencers and CFO's demands sometimes prevent the Power users from getting assistance versus influencer users and there is a difference.
    dml9, Mofrid, forgorin and 10 others like this.
  14. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    For sure. I doubt there are many robot voyeurs.
  15. Gack

Gack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    there's a "like" button?
  16. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I tend to agree with you on pretty much everything you stated above, I've moved the RR on from asking that question, but if you want to talk more about it pm, you seem to have some good insightful knowledge that more than a few miss
  17. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    After crossing into Nevada from Utah I'm crossing back into Utah again I do this a few times as the track I'm on literally is on the state line and loads of those barbed wire gates have to be used a process I'm sure a lot of you are more than familiar with...but only in one location was there actually a sign

[​IMG]

Once I do really start heading west into Nevada and no having to double back to Utah, the trail is everything you'd expect of a Nevada trail...nothing and lots of it.

[​IMG]

it is remote out here for sure but I'm not the only one to cross this way recently

[​IMG]

I was moving in a mostly northwest direct but a turn at a fence line shot me straight west for a long long time. It funny at the time I took this photo BELOW ⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️ I posted it to Instagram and asked the question -

History majors, remind me what century did the Romans invade Nevada? The IGers did get it...at all!

[​IMG]
    mclimber, dave6253, danh600 and 49 others like this.
  18. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Okay, I'm not a history major, or an Instagrammer... and I don't get it :confused

[​IMG]

"History majors, remind me what century did the Romans invade Nevada?"

Romans?
    In Nevada?
    When the USA wouldn't exist for more than 1600 years?
    Yes, the land was there but as far as I can remember the Romans were not seafaring explorers crossing the Atlantic ocean, if they even went beyond Gibraltar?

Trick question that I completely miss? :hide
    And I can't figure out what the picture has to do with Romans? :scratch

I don't mind looking like an idiot and admit I am lost, I feel that way often... :dunno
    borderlinebob likes this.
  19. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    You quoted the wrong photo, I was talking about the one below (as I always do actually) so you read the description then see the image, otherwise, you have to scroll back up.

***FYI, Romans actually were in control of a large portion of North Africa and had two naval fleets on the Atlantic Coast, and did alledgedly have plans to sail further around Africa but it never happened

This photo below ⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

[​IMG]

The one thing Romans were famous for is their engineering, in all aspects, roads being one of them, all over Europe there are what are called Roman Roads because the one thing they usually have in common is there straightness
  20. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I kinda guessed it was the straightness of the road in question, but wasn't sure (I was only a History minor in college . . . )