A World Of Dirt...On A 500exc

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. The Giant Loop bags are great for this reason. Makes a huge difference
    eakins likes this.
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You've got mail if it makes it there.:lol3
  3. wilso122

wilso122 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a review / thought - Great for backpacking or kayaking don’t go near them for a motorbike, I used them in Morocco with wolfman bags that I consider good quality saddle bags. See avatar! Anyway the release valve bouncing up an down put a hole through the side of the bag and the other one put a hole in the dry bag above it so however you stash them the hard plastic will rub check your tribology :)

Anyway I dumped them in favour of plastic bags for the rest of the trip. Not the make you mention but they are pretty much all made in the same place...
    JagLite likes this.
  4. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    This is a picture of the purge valve (external on the bag) on one that I own. The bag is made by Seattle Sports. Seems if one was seeking a purge system in a dry sack, one should ensure that the valve will not cause friction within your packing system.

ok.. enough diversion from the thread intention..

[​IMG]

close up external photo of the Seal Line purge valve

upload_2021-1-3_15-49-13.png
    JagLite likes this.
  5. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fresh oil in the bike and a good night's rest in my comfy airconditioned workshop, and go back to the dirt, actually more sandy dust, and I'm dirtier in 15 minutes than I was when I got in the shower a few hours before!

[​IMG]

I somehow get into a maze of smaller logging tracks with dropped trees and blockages everywhere, I went in every direction to try and find a way west.

Eventually, I'm dumped out onto a bigger track heading mostly south and looping away in totally the wrong direction but its the only open track I can find.

I want to be headed northwest, it's still early but feels like it could be a long day trying to cross Oregon if this is what it's going to be like!

[​IMG]

A day of riding in circles trying to find a way through without hitting the pavement, in the early afternoon I just give up and make camp next to a river...could be worse

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I take off early in the morning looking for more open tracks headed west

[​IMG]

This was the first morning I noticed there was a slight orange twinge to the foliage but not a problem, high 70's still, so perfect riding weather

[​IMG]
  6. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    So many great captures, thanks @rtwpaul! Hope it's not a PIA asking for details - any idea what the name of the river is you camped next to?

And for some reason, the rock shot through the foliage makes me think of Smith Rock. Though I'm pretty sure the surrounding area of Smith doesn't have trees like that (though it's tough to tell). Think you're still too far south if you'd just left Cedarville, but who knows.

Damn man, wish it was still summer-ish and I was out riding.

Appreciate the update.
    steved57 likes this.
  7. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    North Umpqua River, I think somewhere near Kellogg
    liv2day likes this.
  8. TripleThreat719

TripleThreat719 Track Addict ADV Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Paul, It appears from your photos that you have upgraded (or switched if you don't feel it is an upgrade) to a Garmin Zumo XT from your Garmin Montana. I recently upgraded from a Zumo 660 to the Zumo XT and have really liked it for most everything. I'd be interested in your perspective. The one thing I wish was better is the interface for managing tracks. I wish there was an easy way to enable or disable multiple tracks at a time, rather than having to individually enable each.
  9. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Garmin asked me to test the zumoXT and sent me over a Beta/ test version, I did put around 8000 miles on it but then found out somewhere along the way it didn't exactly function like the one you have, so the online instructions didn't always work.

The main reason was mine had a lot of future updates/ upgrades included which sounds like a plus but actually made functionality more of an issue.

Once I pointed out I was having issues they sent me a retail version but sadly I didn't get it until this Western States ride was complete!

...but saying that during the ride I was having a lot of back and forth with them and one of the questions was about multiple tracks, seeing and using them. That was a phone conversation and from memory what they said was the unit was set up to do each route/ trip/ track as an individual but it can be done as multiples via the Explore app.

They want you to use the Explore app as you would previously use the actual GPS, then when you turn the GPS on it syncs all the data and changes. What I found was it was better to keep the unit turned off while you were using the Explore app because the two constantly interact and the app kept jumping to the start. If the unit was off it obviously couldn't do that.

Also, the explore app is being constantly updated for the motorcycle version, the truck/ overland version was slightly different or they both didn't work in sync I honestly forget.

I find the unit very easy to use, it is a completely different layout than the previous GPS units so somewhat of a learning curve as the layout and some wording is totally different.

Everything works via the app but it means you always have to have a phone with you, but not be online as it works without a connection. If you ride a lot as I do in remote areas you need to make sure you have all the tracks you need before you go. I personally find it easier to use the app on my iPad mini (basically a big phone)

What I did find was the Gaia app was a lot easier to use, and I could send files from it via the Garmin Drive app to the zumoXT, and also be able to manage all my files a lot easier. I have a discount code for Gaia if anyone wants it just PM me

Apologies for the long-winded answer, below are a few snippets from emails with links, there might be something in there that helps...maybe

To delete tracks, go to Apps -> Tracks -> Select a Track -> Select the wrench in top left -> scroll down and choose delete. You can also control which ones display on the map from this menu. There shouldn’t be a reason to delete them.

To convert an unsaved track to a saved track go to Apps -> Tracks -> click tab on bottom right -> select the unsaved track -> click the wrench -> select save track. Then it will show up on the saved/recorded tracks tab. The other option is to use the “track recorder” and when you’re done recording and you press stop, it will prompt you to name it and it will save under your saved/recorded tracks tab.

The Where I've Been feature is kind of a standalone feature. You aren't able to share information from it. You can see and share your tracks from the Track app, which can be accessed from the main menu, or from Apps > Tracks. This will show tracks synced from Explore, and unsaved tracks on your device.

The connection for Explore is a bit different with the XT than other devices. You have to connect to the Drive app, which will then let you sync the zumo to your Explore account. The FAQ Syncing, Adding, and Deleting Explore App Data on the zumo XT goes over pairing to the Drive app and syncing data.
  10. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is excellent insight, thank you @rtwpaul! I've been using Gaia for several years now and it's fantastic; the biggest pain has been getting routes created in the web app converted to tracks to load on my Montana. Based on what you're saying above, it sounds like you can do all of this wirelessly? And possibly a dumb question, but do you convert routes to tracks before moving them to the XT?

Have been reluctant to upgrade for a couple reasons; have the power cradle and setup for the Montana installed and it works and the XT isn't inexpensive. But the connectivity you describe above might push the decision over that edge.
  11. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Before anyone switches to the ZumoXT I strongly urge them to consider the Carpe Iter Pad, especially if you also use apps like GaiaGPS and/or you use a phone for a backup nav. Yes it is almost 2x the price, but that includes the lockable constant power mount. An equivalent mount for the ZumoXT would likely add $200-$250 to the cost, so the gap closes. You also get a screen that is as bright as the XT(1000nits) for daylight readability, but much larger, so much easier to read, and all the benefits of an android tablet/phone. You can see it here:
    https://www.thorkracing.com/en/carpe-navigation/carpe-iter-pad/

Add the optional handlebar joystick controller and you have really moved to another level of on-the-fly navigation capabilities not possible in the Garmin world.
  12. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Transferring files from Gaia to the XT is relatively easy (see image below), by just tapping the three dots and using the drop-down to use the Drive app sends them to the unit, or the Explore app sends them to the Garmin site

if you have a track as a file and send it to the unit it of course will be accepted as a track, and this can be converted in the unit to a route...but just one minor thing routes have been renamed to 'trips' and unless you know this it can be confusing.

A 'Track' as before is just a line on the map, a 'Trip' (route) will give you guidance

IMG_0211.jpg
    liv2day likes this.
  13. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I saw an independent review of this unit months ago and it looked amazing, I went right to the site to get more details and it was out of stock, and it is still back-ordered, does this mean they sell out as soon as they are made or just can't keep up with demand?

The other thing I found strange about the Carpe was, it had a height limit of 4500m/ 14,750 feet, if you ride in South America you can spend a lot of riding time above that altitude, does that mean it doesn't work at all at a time you might really need it...everything seems Euro based on the unit, for now, maybe 2.0 will make it more worldwide compatible. I'm not making complaints just observations for places I'd use it.

To buy the unit, the handlebar switch, and amps mount is around $1100 before shipping or if you want any additional mounts. I think that vs the zumoXT at $500 could be a hard pill to swallow for a lot of riders.

Neither has a PLB (personal locator beacon) so that could add an additional $350 for an inReach for both...good navigation and safety is getting expensive.

...but if you look at the new Montana 700i that has inReach built-in, is that a better option than both comparison and combined beats them both in price

The XT has its own apps that can be used with any system, I think the Carpe only uses Android if I'm understanding their site correctly, so for me, that means I need a new phone as well

The XT also has iOverlander built-in and updates automatically, not on the 700i, I'm sure the iOverlander app can be used with the Carpe but does that also mean you need to have a connection to use it.

iOverlander is a huge advantage to have for international travel, and using the app is OK but not great because a lot of the time you don't have the data to see the map unless you had looked at it before or downloaded it. A lot of riders double it up with Maps.me but that a whole other dimension

I guess you need to weigh up all the options side by side and see what works for you, your style of riding, and safety/ international use.

I think if Carpe came in around the $500-600 mark they would become a big player real soon, but at 1k+ it just opens the door for the phone GPS guys to shout their case that a rugged phone wins hands down...for a lot less.

don't forget paper maps :jack
  14. Sunaj

Sunaj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was so ready to start typing something like go for a phone or tablet alternative, right until mentioned this.

1100 bucks... that is a lot of gasoline. I’ll stick with my Galaxy Tab Active.
  15. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Up until about a month ago they had a pretty well matched supply and demand, so not much delay/backordering. You may have been looking at the old website that the Carpe Iter guys used to sell from. The links are still live, but as I understand it now, they have joined with Thork Racing out of Portugal and use their web store front. John Thork is the software developer that wrote the launcher for it - Drive Mode Dashboard. He is active on that thread elsewhere on ADVRider. Just today he posted that in November there were some favorable YouTube vids posted and demand spiked 4x in December. He is planning to up his production batch quantities now. I believe his original customer for the launcher, and still a current customer, is AJP Motorcycles, also located in Portugal. Looking at the new 2021 AJP PR7, they show an updated 8" dash running DMD that looks just like the new Carpe Iter tablet, so it seems unlikely that the product will "dead-end" anytime soon.

I didn't notice that, but my guess is that the tablet manufacturer only tested to that pressure level, so its a legal/warranty issue. Being in the Aerospace industry, I can tell you that almost invariably, what the advertised limits of the hardware are, the actual real-world capabilities are anywhere from 30% to 300% greater. I really don't think that should deter you if you spend a few days/weeks at a time above that elevation. OTOH, I probably wouldn't rely on it if I were going high altitude ballooning:lol2

Its just an Android tablet, so if anything, it is US biased due to the baked in features of the OS. It can be configured anyway you see fit.

The CI Tab has a sim slot so it IS a phone too. Just pop out your sim card, or duplicate it, and it will act as clone of your phone, even if you have an iphone. You can stash your phone safely away while traveling and use it only ICE. MUCH more flexible and capable than a phone/slaved Zumo combo if you ask me

I'm not familiar with iOverlander, but given the "i' in the name, I'll guess there is no android version. If its just a phone based app with offline capabilities that can talk to other guidance apps, there are most likely other equivalent or, dare I say it, better apps to use.

The ideal setup on any phone/non Garmin solution seems to be Gaia GPS on the desktop for route planning, Gaia GPS app on the phone for accessing the routes and primary/backup guidance, and Locus or Osmand as your primary nav software/display/on-the-fly route calculator. That is how I have used my tablets in the past, and how I plan to use the CI Pad when I get it.

The new version of DMD - DMD2 may change all that since @John@ThorkRacing is currently testing an expanded capability set that looks like it will include route planning and integrated user loadable OSM maps, overlapping with the Locus functionality. It looks very promising and you will get lifetime support with the purchase of the CI Pad.

For me, with my aging eyesight, I have no reading glasses on while riding, and can't practically stop and put them on everytime I need to check a nav detail or choose a detour on the fly. That is what drove me to a tablet in the first place. I need the screen real estate to increase font size while still having a useful field of view perspective on the maps. So phones are out and tablets are a non-negotiable requirement. Also bright sunlight makes it hard to use even the brightest tablets. Typically they are 350-400 nits. The Samsung Active tab is around 450-500 I think, but still too dim under direct bright sunlight. So its between the XT and the CI Pad, which are both advertised as 1000 nits.

For me, the added screen size and functional capability make it a pretty easy choice since I can afford it. I agree that it is VERY expensive, so not the mass market solution. Personally I hope they stay high end, as the customer service seems to be pretty good.
  16. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a great discussion. I've been watching CI for a year or more, currently run a tablet and LocusPro, and have considered a Garmin XT or Montana. I'm not a good navigator, from lack of practice, but CI and a joystick BT controller sure look like the top-of-the-line pick to me.
    liv2day likes this.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    They sure do offer many options

https://www.eaglecreek.com/shop/organizers
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    iOverlander has nothing to do with Apple specific. It's one of the best go to to find a place to crash for the night.

Apps & website access.

http://www.ioverlander.com/apps
    rtwpaul likes this.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I have a GL dry duffel with a valve and it's great. Also have a Tusk top loader duffel with one too. I wouldn't buy a duffel anymore w/o a purge valve.

Not sure it's needed for inside the dry duffel for smaller pack cubes and such.
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    You using Gaia now vs https://ridewithgps.com/ like in the past?
    rtwpaul likes this.