A World Of Dirt...On A 500exc

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sōul-ō and eakins like this.
  2. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. That means that it will run with no problems on the CI Pad. I will look into it.
    eakins likes this.
  3. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I don't want to turn a ride report into a GPS thread so this is my last post about it...but here is another option that does look interesting uses some Carpe product but also a phone but a tablet could be used instead or a rugged phone and a lot cheaper than all the above mentioned

4. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I got a Mosko bag for christmas. I was already on the fence about the shape of it, but I definitely want that valve back. I miss it on my GL bags. I think I'll be flipping this for a rogue. What I really want is a top loading duffel with a purge valve, at around 20L. Long and skinny rather than short, tall and fat. No one makes one that I can find. Maybe, I need to start a thread:lol3
    leighwgold and eakins like this.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Well Paul between your tech/build threads, many ADV front page articles, website and You Tube videos you have become the very top expert in all things travel related...so it's expected.
    nomeranger7 likes this.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Your talking a reckless right?
    The top bag?

I have a GL Rogue. It should work well enough but I hear ya on just wanting a single top opening design. I'm not as much of a fan of double side openings vs single top loading.

I have the Tusk 33L top loader and it's bigger for sure. You can pack it lower in height and might work well as a top reckless bag. It's all valved up.
    JagLite likes this.
  7. levain

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Just the top bag. I use altrider hemisphere
    eakins likes this.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Got ya, I though you were talking about how to upgrade the Reckless top bag with a better one with a relief valve?
  9. levain

Oddometer:
    In a way yeah. It's the 22l bag that ships with the reckless.
  10. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You looking for something like this? This is Touratech but the bags are made by Ortlieb. I have one over 10 years old that I use for my tent/chair and sleeping stuff that has worked very well for me. This newer design is even more user friendly.
    [​IMG]

I use it without issue on all of my bikes. 100% waterproof is very nice.
    [​IMG]
  11. levain

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the help, but it was not my intention to muck up @rtwpaul thread with dry bag discussion. Maybe,I'll start another thread! Apologies all round
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  12. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Not the first time I've hijacked one of his threads!:lol3

But it should probably go on his build thread instead of here.
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  13. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Accordingly, this will be my last post on Nav as well. Plus one for the cheap nav setup in the video. Thats exactly what I did with a cheap refurbished wifi (not cellular) enabled tablet ($75) until it failed. I can't stress enough how much better and affordable, compared to a Garmin, a setup like that is for people who need reading glasses (i.e. old farts). I could have just kept buying cheap refurb tablets for years on end for the money I spent, but I like nice things...
    Jeff Sichoe and Scribe like this.
  14. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Now we're all educated on GPS options and purge valves we can continue.

My plan for the day was the Pacific Ocean, and fish and chips, the ultimate goal of this part of the ride. The chunk of land between me and that goal was dense Oregon forest.

[​IMG]

and what looked like a few small fires to get around in the distance

[​IMG]

Like it wasn't enough seeing all these trees, how about a special side trip to see just one particular tree?

[​IMG]

It just popped up on my GPS so I made a little side trip

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

not much else to say, except it appears someone started to cut it down at one point, I'm sure there's a story there but I couldn't find it

[​IMG]

A perspective shot with the bike before I continue

[​IMG]

A few hours and about a billion trees later I was at the ocean

[​IMG]

A quick run onto the beach to see if any TATer's are down here and just finished, nope!

[​IMG]

Then to complete the mission, fish and chips at the Crazy Norwegian

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A few days earlier I'd gotten a text from friends in Lake Charles Louisiana where I have a rental property, the city was hit hard. Hurricane Laura was one of the strongest to ever make landfall and the strongest to ever hit Louisiana with sustained winds over 150mph.

The message I'd received earlier was simply, "it's bad, real bad, but we can't physically get to your house to know how bad! When we do we'll be in touch!"

As I'm sitting there enjoying the fish and chips I get these shots pop up on my phone, and the message - "you need to be here ASAP!"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just to give you an idea of what it should look like

[​IMG]

I finish the fish and chips and look at the map and what my plans were and what they need to be now. I draw this and cringe...

[​IMG]

Google tells me I'm 2620 miles away, and I'm sitting here in Oregon with a dirt bike, not the best for covering that distance fast!

What are the options, leave the bike here and fly, but flights are few and far between because of the pandemic, then hopefully come back and finish the ride or just suck it up and head south and call this section done?

I decide to take the second option and make a random plan in my head

In my mind, I figure I can camp tonight along the way it's already late in the day, 5.30 pm so today is a wash. Tomorrow I can hit Vegas as a rest stop and stop with friends and get a little sleep then continue to Phoenix do a bike swap and continue to Louisiana.

I decide to ride dirt as much as I can for now, and head off to look for a wild camping spot, I just take photos when I need a break

[​IMG]

I run across a camping spot that's state-run and the sign shows it's free due to COVID so I stay, I'm the only one around

[​IMG]

I get up at stupid o'clock and head to pavement, I stop to take this one last shot on the dirt as I figure it could be my last for 2020

[​IMG]

From this spot to Vegas, its 865 miles and I cover it in about 18 hours, having to ride down near the CA/ NV state line on the 95 through the night, the air is thick with smoke from the CA fires close by

The moon is trying to shine through it, and I found a random shot on my helmet camera just to let you know how it was, and pretty much how my eyes saw it once it was dark

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 11.07.25 AM.png

I'd let my buddy in Vegas know I was on the way and he randomly said "I think you might have just set a record for riding a 500exc in 24 hours." An accolade I really didn't want!

After a few hours of sleep and I was off to Phoenix, did a bike swap to my S10. Then off I go again, I stopped in Roswell for a short sleep and grabbed some tarps as I told none were available within 100 miles of Lake Charles.

[​IMG]

47 hours and 2620 miles of riding later I pull into the driveway to see the devastation

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Oaktree in front of the house is about 150 years old and around 100 feet high, it had split down the middle, and half of it had fallen on the roof and porch, I put up a drone to get a better view of the damage, DJI added some happy music!!!

[​IMG]

Something like 95% of properties had damage, mine was bad but nowhere near as bad as some others. The city was a serious mess

[​IMG]

The first order of business was to get that tree off the roof and because it had split it all had to come down. Loads of hurricane chasers were in town doing all manner of work so finding people to help wasn't as bad as I thought.

Tree removal $6500 - cash!

The big problem was they wanted to be paid in cash and at the same time, the local banks had made all their ATMs have a withdrawal limit of $500 per day.

I spent hours riding from bank to bank, trying to find ones open with power and also find ATM's that still had cash in them. I depleted my 2020 ride fund to zero and went into debt a lot more. I filled multiple envelopes like this so I could make my house liveable for my tenant ASAP.

I do have insurance but there was no way they'd be in a rush to pay, it actually took them over three months to issue the first partial payment.

[​IMG]

Five days later I was minus one huge oak tree but already had a new roof fitted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few days after that I had a new porch

[​IMG]

So riding for 2020 for me was done in more ways than one, I hoped to be able to drag this report out long enough that it could just continue with the ongoing ride, but of course, 2020 didn't let that happen.

The ride WILL continue and I'll pick up from this point when it does, hopefully soon, cause I'm already packed...

...but for now, I'll leave at this, because I think it just about covers how I feel about 2020 and probably a lot of you too!

[​IMG]
  15. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the hit to your rental and your travel budget, Paul. That was a heck of a blast on the 500, but shows how reliable it is even when beating the pavement with it. Good luck and hope to see you back on the road soon.
    Foiler and rtwpaul like this.
  16. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    thx. It just life, a few hurdles won’t stop me.
    nomeranger7, steved57, Animo and 12 others like this.
  17. BDG

BDG Long timer

Oddometer:
    So sorry Paul, that’s a real bummer.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  18. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Damn! That totally sucks! Too bad I wasn't around, I could have taken that tree down for a lot less than $6500!
    rtwpaul likes this.
  19. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I’m gonna say I doubt that around $3k was just in specialized equipment that had to be brought in specifically from Texas plus three guys working 12 hour days for three days straight and OSHA watching meant a chunk was just to cover insurance.

add to that it was partially on a major power line that could have killed power to a few hundred houses.

no other contractor would do it for less than 10k

this included tree stump grinding of a hard wood oak that took another day that was included for $300, my best second quote was $1500

So yea it sounds a lot but these guys did no additional damage to my house which was a big plus too
  20. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's certainly a wild end to a CRAPY year. the ending reads like a good mystery. Looking forward this years ride.
    rtwpaul and JagLite like this.