A World Of Dirt...On A 500exc

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    good/ bad experiences using it in Latin America I would say are 80/20

vs

@Sjoerd Bakker Mexico book, 98/2

vs

RG/ LP 2/98
    Ginger Beard, Don T, ilten and 3 others like this.
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Random bike question for you. I read back in your build thread where you talked about putting dialectic grease in your connectors but I remember you talking about a specific brand of connector you like. Did you change any on the 500? Getting ready to try putting a new EXC wiring harness on my 525 XCW and I will need some connectors for sure and don’t know if I can get any Of the KTM ones close by. Damn I suck with electrics! Just thinking about trying to wire in a roadbook and ICO has my head spinning.
  3. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Deutsch connectors easy to use, waterproof, lots of different sizes and no special tools required if you need to take them apart in the field,
  4. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
  5. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree Paul. We used it a lot. And often just to find the “area” Hostals were located in, and intentionally tried out non-rated places.
    We also tried our best to add content. In my opinion it’s disingenuous to complain about content on iOverlander while at the same time not helping to improve said content with your own honest feedback.
    squadraquota, VTbeemer and ScotsFire like this.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  7. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  8. gianttrack

gianttrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The link failed for me too, but now it works.
  9. radmann10

radmann10 Old fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Paul, I have used the deutsch connectors before and they are great!
  10. Sunaj

Sunaj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I’ve bad experience with multiple fancy connectors and road side repairs, expect I have no experience on the roadside with the DT series.

Still have DT’s lying around, I’m gonna see if I can pick the thing apart with my road toolset.
  11. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    In a couple of months when the weather starts to change and more people have received the vaccine, I both hope and expect that things will look much better.
    I'm making travel plans for 2021!
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    All indicators are pointing to an explosion in traveling for the 2nd 1/2 of 2021.

For example the motorcoach touring industry is seeing a huge surge of fall tour bookings.

We are seeing the same in the moto tour segment. 2 shots in the arm...wait 1 month...and it's GO time!

https://www.motodiscovery.com/
  13. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    True but they need an expensive tool to crimp them in the first place. After that, they are as good as any connectors I've found.
  14. dmski

dmski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic ride report so far Paul! Amazing photos as always, and the stories so far (that PO in Nevada gives me chills) have been awesome. Sorry to have the rugged pulled out from under you with the whole house debacle but it sounds like things will get taken care of and you will be on the road hopefully soon. How was the KTM riding back to the south during those 47 hours? You deserve an iron butt for that kind of distance on a 500exc. Epic.

I know for how you travel and what you do the KTM certainly seems like a fantastic bike, and that's for each person to figure out how they want to travel to find what bike works best for them. You've had experience on many other bikes like your DR650 or WR's. Just curious to hear your take now that you've put some serious time and miles in on the 500exc? Has it lived up to your expectations? Undoubtedly the KTM looks cooler, has more power, gobs more high end suspension and pretty much has a lot going for it over the DR especially in the offroad department, but what did you like and/or miss about the DR or your WR that you also had?

Cheers and in it for the long haul so hope you get out on the road soon!
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    How did your Gulf Coast property finalize up to date Paul?
  16. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    almost back to normal, new windows being fitted next month, long hard struggle to get reliable contractors.
    gulfcoaster likes this.
  17. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    As there are two connector types I always go for the crimp type over the barrel type, my crimp tool was $8 from Radio Shack vs $250-300 for the barrel crimp tool

Had mine since 2001 and was still using it last week.

Attached Files:

DesertRatliff and JagLite like this.
  18. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I actually only rode the KTM back from the Oregon coast to PHX in a hurry around 1300 miles and tbh it wasn't that back, put some good tunes on and just did it.

The KTM has lived up to and exceeded my expectations, its a very easy bike to ride and maintain and is a better bike than I will ever be a rider, sadly at the moment it's just sitting gathering dust as the world turns as very little is accessible for how I like to ride

KTM vs DR, to be honest, there isn't much of anything on the DR that is better than the KTM, probably valves are easier to get to, but not easier to adjust, and maybe the front suspension because of its standard type over inverted if you get a blown fork seal you don't lose all your oil!

KTM vs WR...time between valve adjustments, 1500 miles ish vs 25,000 miles is a huge difference, 50mpg vs 70 mpg, I'll take the worse mpg for the extra fun and top-end the KTM has but would prefer the long time between valve checks even if the KTM's rarely move you still need to open the motor to make sure
  19. anadel

anadel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On this comparison between the DR vs KTM, having owned 3 DR's (sorry about that) and an Xchallenge/F800GS/Husky Terra etc one of the biggest grin factors with the KTM is its ease of manoeuvering at low speed. MOving it in the garage, doing a U turn on a narrow trail, getting it on and off my ute etc, it runs rings around everything. And once you are over 60, those issues become more important to deal with. My set up 500 weighs nearly 60kg less than my old similarly set up DR.
    JagLite, 2on2off, JP4 and 7 others like this.
  20. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    yep, nobody ever said..."I wish my bike was heavier to pick up!"