1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

A World Of Dirt...On A 500exc

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see Paul has gone back to a Nomax tank bag.
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    And, a GL Fandango:lol3:hmmmmm
    Brtp4 likes this.
  3. ChicoProf

ChicoProf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been enjoying your pics on instagram, but there's nothing like an ADV ride report. Great to see your posts here.
    Ladybug, dano619 and BLucare like this.
  4. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent pics @rtwpaul - so glad to see this spin back up after the abrupt ending last year (holy hell...how's it possible to say that) with the fast trek blitz to deal with the rental house.

Look forward to following along as you make your way east, knobby side down and safe travels the whole way man.
  5. Dacquiri

Dacquiri Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for another entertaining RR Paul!! I noticed you now have an extra fuel tank on the back. Would you mind sharing some details on that? Thanks
  6. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Confirmed sighting on a certain KTM 500, seen in Pennsyltuckey heading east/northeast. Safe Travels, Paul, nice to see you, brother!
  7. Klinc207

Klinc207 To PERU!

Oddometer:
    Pop in for a beer and a Lobster. Seems everybody skips through Maine pretty quick usually. Lots of fun stuff around!
    JagLite and BLucare like this.
  8. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I might get to nip over to Maine if the border ever opens. I'm in Chester, NS for the summer.
    Klinc207 likes this.
  9. Klinc207

Klinc207 To PERU!

Oddometer:
    Likewise, in reverse.
    skibum69 likes this.
  10. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the land of bug smears, Paul!
  11. SELDOMSEEN

SELDOMSEEN Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great to know I could come back over here to follow you. My Instagram account had to be shit-canned due to some unethical harassment from some techjunkie hack. Anyway, hope to catch you this upcoming week Downeast. Be safe, people and cars and chaos have now been let out and they are everywhere. ✌️

Attached Files:

12. SELDOMSEEN

SELDOMSEEN Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don’t know WTF happened in the post above.
  13. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Huh, I saw you guys last week camping at the same spot we were and also ate dinner at the same restaurant. Didn’t know this was you until I clicked on this ride report. Nice! Ride on.
    BLucare likes this.
  14. skibum69

Oddometer:
    And you didn't just walk up to him and start talking?:lol3
    jays100 likes this.
  15. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    The run across the country was speeding up as the ground got flatter and flatter, interspersed with the occasional buffalo sighting, at a distance of course!

[​IMG]

A short stay in a millionaires 'spare house' we had to ourselves

[​IMG]

Then a street sign with a name that rang a bell but I had no idea why, but it was just a rocky track for a few hundred yards, rain would have made it a challenge but luckily it was dry, and of course, forgot photos, sorry

[​IMG]

to easily the best burger on the TAT, we arrived literally one minute before they closed and they are such great people they had no issues staying open for us

[​IMG]

The extremes changed, no millionaires place, next up is a place called the TAT Shak, a beat-up 'old house' that the owner bought specifically for riders to stop for free, we had the place to ourselves, while torrential rain fell all night long...score!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After sitting mostly still for a year and a half (pandemic) in the desert I had honestly forgotten how green the scenery could be out here

[​IMG]

we are both running Sena headsets so along the way Abe is asking questions about RTW riding, he's getting the bug for sure. He says to me has there ever been any advice someone has given you in a different country that you still use on a regular basis?

"A Russian rider told me, NEVER ride through puddles unless you really have to, cause you have no idea how deep they are!"

Less than an hour later...

[​IMG]
    nomeranger7, Don T, StanBo and 47 others like this.
  16. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:

Details here in the build thread
  17. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Paul,
    Great riding, pictures and story.
    Me and Sam Correro see each other often and a few years ago I was telling him about my visit to the TAT Shack---and what followed I found hilarious. I was riding the TAT West with Dr. Rock (pictured) on the left---and Francine--his girlfriend. We rode together from Sam's house to the 3-step hideway.
    [​IMG]

As I was telling Sam about my stop he said the he never heard of the TAT shack.
    So after much explaining and picture showing----he still said he never heard of it.
    And at the time he'd never been there-----I was flabbergasted.
    Now Sam is sharp and has a perfect memory so we figured out that Sam had never been by the TAT shack since the old trailer was converted to the SHAK. He's spent a lot of time re-doing things out West and out East but hadn't ridden by the shak since it was built.

So I grinned and jokingly told him "you need to ride this TAT thing"----we both had a good laugh.

Francine below.
    [​IMG]

This coming June 12th and 13th Sam is putting on a 2 day ride near his home----about 200 miles per day. The ride will start each day out of a huge bike shop in Corinth, Mississippi called "Lake Hill Motors"------lot's of rider camping in the big mowed lot next door to the shop.

Thought you might be interested in stopping by------or maybe doing the ride---gps tracks provided.
    I always go----but am healing from a surgical procedure and not sure I will feel like going---but if I do I won't be riding--------just hanging out with friends.

I always get a kick when stopping at Sam's new house.
    That sign is just awesome.
    Aggravates me that a man 12 years older than me looks 20 years younger than me:imaposer
    This house is just North of the Pickwick dam going over the Tennessee river. It is in Tennesee--he's moved around a lot the last few years. Has had several houses near Corinth, Mississippi.
    [​IMG]
    StanBo, joenuclear, Ladybug and 20 others like this.
  18. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    :photog

Sound advice and something I learned the hard way. Fond memories of a 10 yo me having to drag my dead XR80r out of a "tiny puddle" and spending the next hour pulling the plug, wringing out the air filter, draining the carb ,drying the coil and limping it home to pour the milkshake from the crank case. :lol3

Great to see you back on the trail! :freaky
    JagLite, liv2day, staticPort and 5 others like this.
  19. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:
    More good stuff Paul, now to your story on riding small bikes. :hmmmmm
  20. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome to see the pics and read your update @rtwpaul. Look forward to what comes next on your ride east.

Knobby side down man. And avoid the puddles :lol2