1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

A World Of Dirt...On A 500exc

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. EnterReturn

EnterReturn Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I actually did ask.
  2. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pics at the Wheels Through Time! I've a good Dale story for you. Several years ago, I had an 8:00AM meeting at the museum with Dale to discuss a group tour. I got there about 7:45 and had just removed my helmet when I heard the engine on his bike as he rode down the hill from his home. When he came into sight, the bike was a early 1920s-something Harley with a foot clutch. Dale was smoking a cigarette and had a cup of coffee in his hand. What a rider he was! His son, Matt, seems to have inherited his dad's passion for all things two-wheeled.

Sorry for the 'jack.

Mike
    advrockrider, Uke, JagLite and 5 others like this.
  3. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I heard the new owners at Iron Horse were wanting to cater to a more elite crowd. Who knew it was V-Stroms. :rofl

We stayed there a few times a couple of years ago. One of the best things about the place was the communal fire pit. By not having a fire in each camp site it really brought people together.

Paul - I always like seeing pictures of your bike. Everything is always packed so neat. Low and close to the bike.
    JagLite and rtwpaul like this.
  4. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hate how much luggage I carry, it's sitting in front of me right now (no bike) but still trying to reduce the size and weight
  5. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Segue...
    got a message from a friend in Finland, this -

Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 12.06.39 PM.png
    Don T, advrockrider, jays100 and 13 others like this.
  6. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I stayed at Iron Horse once many moons ago and they were very nice to me even when I showed up on a KLR.
    JagLite likes this.
  7. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    You? Maybe not. Your bike? Definitely.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  8. DukeMButu

DukeMButu Minister of Culture

Oddometer:
    My guess?

Nunavut
  9. forgorin

forgorin Stuck in Japan

Oddometer:
    Wow! Small world. I stayed in that same cabin 2 years ago! I flew in to South Carolina from Japan, bought a used DR650 and took it to Montreal then backroads all they way back down. 6 weeks of beautiful riding 2 up with my partner. I wish I knew about the museum...
    rtwpaul and adventurebound9517 like this.
  10. advrockrider

advrockrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    That cabin and room looks just like the ones at Cowabunga in Scorpion bay in Baja. So happy to see things starting to move a long for you. Your 500 has to be the best set up I've seen, the 500 is the best bike I've owned, hands down!
    rtwpaul and ScotsFire like this.
  11. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    honestly who gives a F about me, when there's this bike to look at
  12. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Time had become an issue, the sun went down in the cabin, and Abe and I talked about what I had planned left to ride to Maine, from where we sat. I sit there and pull up my maps and tracks individually and shout out the mileage, 160, 37, 203, 125...and on and on.

His response, "so you have 5-6 days until you NEED to be there?"
    Yep
    "you're not going to like this, 3200 miles left!"
    Well shit!

I still had a bunch of random tracks in the Carolinas, Virginias, NEBDR, MABDR, CPAT, was I really going to have to scratch all of that?

Abe was splitting off from me, (but might make a return later next year) he was meeting a work buddy who was trucking his brand new 500exc down and they were taking off to ride loops around the Virginias and then slowly make their way back to New England and home.

his obvious question - "what are you going to do?"

I love riding in the US, but I have a shipping contract so there's no way I can miss it, I was resigning myself to the fact I was going to have to slab it up the east coast...not a way I wanted to finish my riding in the states for the last time in a few years!

The most picturesque way north on the pavement was the Blue Ridge Parkway, and we were only a few miles from it. The next morning we set off...

[​IMG]

and amazingly early in the morning, it was clear

[​IMG]

On one of these stops IIRC, I throw out the suggestion...if your buddy is putting his new bike in a truck, then how is the truck getting back to NH?

"He'll have to fly down and get it after we finish, it'll be a PITA but he knew that."

'How about I drive his truck some of the way north, or all of the way to his house, and then I can bust out a good few hundred miles on the freeway and get around DC, Philly, NYC, and Boston, do you think he'd go for that, it'd help us both out?'

Abe sends a message, with no reply so we continue north, at an aptly named lunch stop we get the response...

[​IMG]

a solid yes, so now tensions are lifted and we head off to meet him at his brother cabin in the woods and camp out for the night

[​IMG]

...the following morning I am driving up the freeway, and for the next day and a half in solid torrential rain, score!!!!

with a short stop off to see my buddy @ricochetrider in PA, then onwards and further north, it felt good and bad at the same time, being dry with the AC blowing and saving a bunch of money not forfeiting my payment to the shipping company cause it was too late to change or cancel, but cheating.

TBH who the fuck cares I used to live in Maine and have done plenty of New England riding, more adventures ahead I tell myself, in far off lands

[​IMG]

I unload and get back on two wheels, just north of Boston. Loaded with some extra stuff I think I might need, but don't, long story but boring...and continue northbound to Maine and the Atlantic Ocean

[​IMG]

I searched out a good location for an iconic photo on the Atlantic, at the Portland Headlight House, and as I'm asking a local where a good shot would be, some park ranger guy with a badge moves me on. He tells me I can have one photo here or he'll ticket me!

[​IMG]

Continuing north, the bikes been coast to coast and a lot of random wandering in between in the US, I still have a way to go but it felt good to see the ocean again.
    roadcapDen, JagLite, danh600 and 37 others like this.
  13. advrockrider

advrockrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's all an adventure, even a few miles in a truck counts when It's for the better of everyone involved. I don't think anyone here would question your commitment to ridding a moto....
  14. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Yep, no shame in missing out on getting drenched for a couple days. :lol3

Apologies if you mentioned this, but where's your bike being shipped out from? Or, is that a secret for now? :thumb
    leighwgold and Comrade Arturo like this.
  15. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Veterinario

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the next stage of your trip :thumb
  16. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dang!! You nailed it with the truck thing.
  17. benjamin1031

benjamin1031 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just want to point out that technically your moto was "off-road"
  18. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who are you cheating again? It's your ride, you get to do what you want!
  19. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    rather be lucky than good
    Uke, BLucare and Zubb like this.
  20. rtwpaul

Oddometer:

The way the world is now, you aren't planning to be anywhere and know its a given that you will be let in because governments change rules daily, still.

It seems that until I am standing in the mysterious far-off land I'm headed to, there is no point even talking about it...but I do fly out in 6 days!!!

This is a huge gamble financially wise as I could be turned around on arrival, fingers crossed all goes well :hmmmmm:fpalm:cromag