A World Of Dirt...On A 500exc

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    My (quasi) street legal Husky FX 350 with tail bag, bar bag and about 3 g of fuel (5 g ) tank. weighs 250 lbs. I expect the 500 exc would be a bit heavier as it is designed as an enduro rather than a race bike. For comparison, my DR 650 with tank bag, tail bag and 3 g of gas weighs 385 lbs. (5 g plastic tank and titanium muffler). My 2012 R1200GS with tank bag, trunk box and 4 g gas weighs 567 lbs.
    EZ-D likes this.
  2. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For us luddite Americans 50 kg is 110 lbs., so it's a big difference.[/QUOTE]

Luddite? How literate, but I’m sticking with Erudite!
    anadel likes this.
  3. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I told you there were going to be water crossings!:lol3
  4. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    Very true...

I own both a 350 and 500 EXC.

The 350 is for single track or overnight, warm weather camping/outings. It sort of minimalist, or as Paul states, the "perfect amount" of bike and gear for nearby adventures.

@rtwpaul offered very helpful advice while I set up my 500 for longer "dual sport" adventures.

A rack that attaches/bolts to the subframe (such as a rack from True North Motos (I have a TNM on my 500) or Globetrotter (I believe @rtwpaul's choice) allows one to add a lot more weight to a 350/500 then going rackless.

I go rackless on my 350 using the Mosko Moto Reckless 10 or 40.

I use the Mosko Reckless 80 V3 on my 500 with the, as previously mentioned, TNM rack.

My 350 works well on both single and dual track. The 500 not so much on single track due to added weight of components and gearing for longer adventures.

Like Paul, I keep the 500's RPMs down to prolong oil life and reduce stress on the engine/components.

I turned my 500 into a "NOT Race Ready" machine.
    Tuna209, snail73, EZ-D and 1 other person like this.
  5. anadel

anadel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good point re Paul riding at a sedate speed. In his recent videos you can clearly note the non aggressive throttle use and this is one of the stand out factors which allows for such long engine life in the recent 500's. Add a cush drive hub, larger clutch cover adding 250ml of oil, higher gearing and old age and you have your ideal long distance dirt tourer. Re gearing, I have run 15/42 gearing with no hassles although you wouldn't want to tackle tough tight trails with that. I now run 15/47 and it is perfect for my preferred terrain.
  6. dubtruker

dubtruker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha have you ever picked up a pre 2012 ktm subframe. They don’t weigh much
  7. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My steel subframe on my 640A has been welded 3 or 4 times. My 525 aluminum subframe weighs almost nothing.
  8. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    just gonna leave this here...

LM15, VDG, R.E.D. and 29 others like this.
  9. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only on Facebook, that wretched hive of scum and villainy, do I see anyone seriously arguing the oil life "thing" on lightly stressed bikes. No amount of data or reason will ever dent their firmly held ignorance. Great video Paul.
  10. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    I change the oil on my 500 every 1000-1500 miles as well; or when convenient and pushing miles close to those parameters.

And Paul is spot on!!! Changing oil on a gently used KTM 4 stroke for dual sport at manufacturers' recommended oil change hour schedule is probably wasting money. But then, if more frequent changes allows you to sleep better at night, that's good as well. An oil change is cheap insurance all things considered.
  11. anadel

anadel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    as they say in the classics, oil is cheap, engines are expensive
  12. Old Codger

Old Codger Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow what a report and Pictures. Thank you from this old man for taking me to a place I will never get to visit or ride. :clap:photog
  13. KojiKP

KojiKP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very impressive Ride Report and images! I need to watch all your videos now but Iceland is definitely a destination now!
  14. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride report! Riding Iceland has been on the list since I did a sail boat cruise alone the west and north a couple of years ago. And I couldn’t pronounce a single thing.
    mtncrawler and JagLite like this.
  15. dairocket

dairocket n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, Those were fantastic photo shots and videos. Iceland is on my soon to do trip. Did you have any issues about theft, leaving your Garmin out. Also what camera did you use. You stayed in huts some of the time , was there electric in them?. Sorry for trivial questions, Regards.
  16. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Enjoying seeing your posts on social media pages, there's been some stuff that's piqued my interest! Look forward to the full RR and more pix when you have the time.
    liv2day likes this.
  17. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put the Iceland "How To - " up on the front page and some...insert facetious name here...saying it would be better on an excel spreadsheet, what a total douche!

Then some other guy said he'd prefer if there was an in-depth ride report instead, too lazy to click the link IN THE ARTICLE to lead him to this, so much easier to try and be cool and negative at the same time...FAIL!!!

You can read the comments for yourself - https://advrider.com/how-to-with-your-own-motorcycle/

Easily the best comment and is describing this forum in a pretty solid way by all accounts, shame the mods don't take note and bring the forum back to its roots and glory days

Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 12.01.43 AM.png

It's total BS like this that makes so many good people leave this forum, and tbh, after reading a few of the snide remarks on that article and others on different writers articles and some of the opinionated things that land in my inbox, I'm pretty close to throwing in the towel myself and letting the lunatics have the asylum

...and BTW I did leave Iceland and have more to post, things have happened, sitting in Slovenia tonight (that's how far I'm behind) drinking beers with a good friend. There has been good and bad along the way, I'll be back soon just need to let the steam reduce and justify to myself it's even worth the time and effort
    boboneleg, glittleman, LM15 and 68 others like this.
  18. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Deep breath Bro, tons of respect and appreciation here.
    Please keep on posting!
    AdvMoto18, EnterReturn, scudo and 8 others like this.
  19. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that the turds have spoiled the churn.
    I'll understand if you don't continue but I surely hope you will.
    Stop by when you're in the neighborhood.
    Godspeed.
  20. Tuna209

Tuna209 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have been quietly following since the beginning. You have taken me places I’ll never make it to. Great pictures and stories. All priceless.