A World Of Dirt...On A 500exc

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    Dear Paul,

Thank you once again for telling your story here. It is both fascinating and inspiring.

This past year, my wife and I moved to Oregon from the SW to help take care of my step dad on Hospice. My mom isn't far behind. Your posts here provide a level of diversion from my current reality that I will be forever indebted to you for. Sappy, maybe, but true. Thank you for the work you put in to posting and for posting here. I follow you on IG and FB, but for me, there's nothing like the ol' ADV.

Cheers,
    Nic
  2. Toe

Toe Grab your gear

Oddometer:
    Using dmski well crafted post to reiterate the point that some people will never be satisfied with what they're presented with despite the fact that it is good content.
    A video is too long and they can't understand the numbers. A spreadsheet doesn't elaborate enough or they take it too literal and it's off by a few quid when they use the same resource.

The internet has got more and more focused on the single serving ig/fb/twit-esque content and because of that a forum or even an article may not be for them. If that's what they want then they should either stick to it otherwise make the effort to appreciate what goes into creating properly fleshed out, well written and well reported content (bonus point for anyone picking up on the single serving reference there).
    Don't get me totally wrong though, I do find that the single serving content being supplementary to fuller content has it's place but being that it's comparatively so short lived it is essentially advertising.
    R.E.D., mtnbikeboy, Tuna209 and 2 others like this.
  3. Toe

Toe Grab your gear

Oddometer:
    Another huge thank you for the inspirational and well crafted content you've been supplying us with!

As benjamin1031 said, the haters are almost certainly just keyboard warriors with nothing better to do and waves of envy seeing what you're achieving!
    And if they're not then the best you can offer is start a friendly conversation about bikes or travel and move on past it. No point in letting these things hang over you.

Remind me of a great Ricky Gervais bit about people getting offended.
    R.E.D. likes this.
  4. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    Paul...there will ALWAYS be haters and ungrateful people regardless of the individual or subject matter. They are undoubtedly ones you will never cross paths with let alone share stories over a beer. I'm 66 and haters still get to me, especially the one's hiding behind digital fronts. But life, and the ride, are too short to allow them to get under your skin (at least for longer than a few moments).

Many of us here are hanging on to your written words and thoroughly enjoying the images you post.

And I totally agree, the Mods allow far too much hate and negativism (for years now) that adds ZERO benefit for readers.

Please keep the posts/images coming and disregard the haters.

Safe travels!
    R.E.D., snail73 and dnrobertson like this.
  5. River Rat

River Rat Greybeard Supporter

Oddometer:
    Paul, it's hard to believe what some will complain about and I get your frustration :baldy
    For what it's worth your Iceland ride report was one of the best I have been fortunate to come across, please keep it up
    In the words of my late father 'never let the bastards get you down'
    snail73, scudo and Folly1 like this.
  6. Folly1

Folly1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great job Paul. I should have said "thank you" a long time ago. My mother taught me better. I am 76 and still riding but will never ride in Iceland. You took me there.
    RE: Spreadsheet, Marshall Chapman had a line in a song, " I know an asshole when I see one. "
    Thanks again.

Ben
  7. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    As Folly1 stated, I, too, should have said 'thank you.' I remember your call to me around Christmas of 2019. I had signed on to Helge Pedersen's ill-fated World Tour 2020 and we were to have been traveling east to west, opposite of your trip. I was to report border crossing information to you but, regrettably, COVID reared its ugly head and our trips were cancelled. Helge is doing another World Tour in '22 but I've deemed myself too old to commit to it. Therefore, I've been living vicariously through your travels. I look forward to more of your tales of the road and your photography . . . especially the photography.

Travel well!

Mike
  8. gr8grins

gr8grins Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    An old Irish friend of mine has a saying for those that do not know enough to keep their pie hole shut if they don’t have something nice to say:

Fuck ‘em

Your efforts and skill are much appreciated by me and countless others. If you’re ever in doubt, send me a PM and I will have many nice things to say to you. Or, hell, post it here like you did and you’ll find many come out of the woodwork with bushels of gratitude.

Ride safely and.... Fuck ‘em
    caribryder likes this.
  9. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    I empathize @rtwpaul, sometimes people just plain suck. Though I have never had the substantial following nor visibility as you, I've experienced the frustration of taking taking time and effort into something digital only to have it dismantled by some moronic critic. Many others have added their thoughts and my hope is that helps.

I won't do the same thing, but I would like to offer this up as it's a mantra of sorts I adopted awhile back after life went to complete shit and I had to literally give myself a very hard reboot. The beauty is it's very simple and is something I tell myself out loud when I seem to forget. Kindness begets kindness, laughter begets laughter, light begets light; and so on. The same is true for the other side - sadness begets sadness, anger begets anger, etc. Not sure if that'll help in the battle between tossing in the towel or not, but perhaps.

I will continue following you on IG as it's good for what it delivers; even better when you have something on YT. But the content here is where I come for my therapy as I can't get out and ride as often as I'd like. The value you've added to thousands is immeasurable, myself included.

Regardless of what path you choose, knobby side down and safe travels everywhere you go.
  10. TripleThreat719

TripleThreat719 Track Addict ADV Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Agree with others Paul. It would be sad to lose your contributions to this community over some *&ckwad... I follow your posts on this forum, as well as follow you on IG and Facebook, but here is where I prefer to digest the substance of your travels and enjoy your posts. I certainly appreciate the detail you provide in your commentary, whether through written word, or video. Ride on... Ride safe... Ignore the *&ckwads...
    caribryder, Jake and DesertRatliff like this.
  11. radmeister

radmeister Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    the snarky, egotistical, false-ironic attitude of more than a few inmates gains strength in the advrider universe.

i applaud your efforts, paul, and can only echo the many other recent positive, supportive posts in this, your, thread.

keep ridin’ and keep postin’.

edit: and btw, f*ck 'em all.

richard
  12. anadel

anadel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like the fact that rtwPaul and rtw kiwiAaron have conclusively proven the worth of the 500 as a long term adventure bike. They are the reason I changed my thinking after masses of internet research. Another factor adding to their credibility is the manner in which they report their rides. No loud mouthed and ill informed carry on, which has become so common in Youtube videos. And of course there is the very rare treat of providing wonderful pictures. NO YT video can ever do justice to scenic landscapes like a correctly exposed photo and in fact, excellent photos were the thing that instantly got my attention when I first found their blogs. Paul, you are now the flag bearer for intelligently delivered motorbike adventure stories.
  13. Ticksmeoff13

Ticksmeoff13 Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same, keep up the great RR's! Your combination of photography and commentary are inspiring. I reference your work frequently with friends when we are out on the trail; with my wife when we are talking about our upcoming retirement; with co-workers when I have to explain why I spend so much time on the back of a bike hitting roads that most people are too afraid to explore. Thanks for the inspiration!
    sacto929, Tuna209, Folly1 and 2 others like this.
  14. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Not sure how many people on this site follow Paul on IG but there he made a cryptic statement in the comment thread on one of his posts over there the other day.
    I'm on the edge of MY seat, as I think we all are... waiting for more.

:lurk
    drhippie2 and scudo like this.
  15. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I checked his IG, but couldn't find any cryptic comment.
    Want to share any more clues?
    Luckycharms likes this.
  16. Toe

Toe Grab your gear

Oddometer:
    A cryptic post about a cryptic post!
    ricochetrider likes this.
  17. Mofrid

Mofrid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is interesting how the best write about the frustrations and about checking out ... just as they check out.
    Crazy world with both big time contributors and those that scare them off.
    Wisdom and sense of place would be my gift to all.
    Peace and ease everybody.
    HandCanonShootr likes this.
  18. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't spend fuck all time on IG but I do "like" his pics.
    philthyphil likes this.
  19. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Paul hasn't posted anything here and has posted damn little elsewhere to boot. So no, I don't particularly want to elaborate. BUT... read thru the comments in the IG post that begins with ""Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion...."
  20. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to seeing Latvia! Hoping you are going to make it through Lithuania. Half of my fy family are Lithuanian. A few of them visited just before COVID. I’ve heard and seen great thing and it is on my top three places now to visit.

Tahoe