A World Of Dirt...On A 500exc

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. benjamin1031

benjamin1031 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    oh yeah?! Well… well… my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard!!

:jack
    Killacurb, JagLite and Sunaj like this.
  2. Sunaj

Sunaj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe you.
  3. TripleThreat719

TripleThreat719 Track Addict ADV Wannabe

Oddometer:
    @rtwpaul I am hoping you plan to return to posting on ADVRider. If there is no plan to return, I need to stop following your threads, because your content is obviously the only reason I chose to follow them. Not to bag on the rest of you guys, but when I see a notification that there is new activity on one of Paul's threads, I immediately jump to it, hoping for more of his great content (imagery/dialogue/videos). I would imagine that my disappointment is similar to many of you when I find out it's just a bunch of extraneous chatter.
    kvango, headstaller, BrixNaix and 8 others like this.
  4. wilso122

wilso122 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hopefully he’s just out enjoying the ride.

can’t see if he’s done Italy yet? Anyone know?
  5. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Blu for putting up the video. Nice little excerpt.

I will also add my name again to the crowd who want you back but you already knew that us being friends and all.:D
  6. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Shouldn't have logged on that day!
    (referring to this)

More than a few things were happening...
    • just found out a very good friend who is a few days difference in age has cancer, and it's bad,
    • my 83-year-old mother was being mentally abused by someone she considered a very close friend,
    • I had either contracted some ancient rare infection or a bite on my right foot, docs weren't sure what it was but I couldn't get my boot on cause the foot was so painful and swollen, so riding was impossible for a while
    • various countries bureaucracy was a constant PITA trying to cross borders or get into countries where I thought (and read) would not be an issue, I know I put myself here, but it was annoying just the same
    • multiple magazines and outlets were contacting me for paid gigs and reminding me of deadlines
    • time spent on financial investments, and online trading to increase my net worth needed more time but it was worth it
    • I needed a rest mentally and physically
    • ...and lots of other minor things, including weather!!!
    So, a read comment, at the right/ wrong time just seriously pissed me off, not necessarily those comments that made me stop posting, but reading a few more similar ones in other places just pushed me away from here and the internet for a while. I use ADVrider to relieve stress not to increase it.

IG posting was still happening because a few people had contacted me to stop by and say hello and my time with them was more important than ADVrider for quite a while.

So apologies to those of you who live vicariously through me for travel, it'll commence henceforth, and I'll explain it all as I go and what conclusions I've come to.

...continued...
  7. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome back Paul.

There's a lot of idiots online. I keep thinking of quitting Instagram cos of the jokers, but then remember the friends I've made, real friends that I've sat down with over a beer and cried with a few times, around the world and realize I wouldn't know them without IG, so I stick around.

Thanks for coming back.

Best
  8. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve gone dark for over a year on what used to be a favorite site due to jerks posts at just the wrong time.
    Welcome back.
  9. philthyphil

philthyphil Nomad

Oddometer:
    Just glad to hear you’re doing ok.
  10. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to have you back! Hope you heal quickly!
  11. TheNetworker

TheNetworker Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome back Paul,

Real friends don`t need explanations - they are just there to give support when need them.

Good to hear from you again - If you need something - just ask.

Greetings from the sunny north of Germany
  12. radmann10

radmann10 Old fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to have you back, how may I be of assistance? Love the camel meme!
    cprbusa and rtwpaul like this.
  13. Blumtnman

Blumtnman Rider

Oddometer:
    Welcome back, so great to know you're going to be posting again. My favourite R R, thank you.
    cprbusa, rtwpaul and anadel like this.
  14. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Phone # stayed the same btw
  15. philthyphil

philthyphil Nomad

Oddometer:
    It’s been two years to the day since you bought me breakfast. We’re overdue…
    flying.moto, rtwpaul and cprbusa like this.
  16. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    ...continued

I got off the ferry and was dead beat tired, after 5350kms around Iceland for a month (I hope you watched all the videos) and two days on a ferry in a cabin with no porthole I felt like I hadn't had a good nights sleep for a week

[​IMG]

Getting off the ferry (a bunch of screengrabs coming up)

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 2.04.58 PM.png

Totally unrefreshed I had arranged to meet @Don T but as he lived just about as far away from Hirtshils as you can get in Denmark he sent over a couple of enduro riders to meet me.

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 1.56.17 PM.png

Denmarks only female motorcycle mechanic, Pia, and her racing sidekick, Ida, they make up the DK Rally Cats race team, (give them a follow) this is them during the Euro Championships

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 1.37.26 PM.png

They showed up on their street machines, an AJP for Pia, and an '83 kick only xt500 for Ida (she races the Eco Africa race on a 500exc and has been racing since she was six!!!).

Straight away I knew that there was fun ahead. "Tonny gave us a track to follow (he's the TET linesman for Denmark), it includes some beach riding, are you up for that? BTW he'll meet us after later in the day"

We ride a little pavement as dirt riding in Denmark is either banned or frowned on in most areas, but then we are on a sandy dirt road leading to the beach and Pia stops.

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 2.07.43 PM.png

"one thing I forgot to mention about the beach, just last week a law was passed that the speed limit is now 30kph/ 18mph and it's strictly enforced, if you exceed that, the police can impound your bike. I know someone who lost their bike a week ago."

We arrive at the beach and all of a sudden the calculation kicks in after the first five feet of sand, that's 18mph, almost an impossible speed to ride sand, especially very soft fine beach sand, and there are 2-3 miles of it ahead to ride.

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 2.08.20 PM.png

It was a Saturday and the beach was very busy, the obvious place you want to ride is as close to the water as possible so the sand is firmer, but that's where all the people were enjoying the sunny day.

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 2.11.46 PM.png

So when possible I'm close to the water, and the three of us are all experienced sand riders but struggling with the 'slow speed', then a big hole appears from nowhere and to miss it I go inland and into sand that is so soft I promptly sink

Going

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 2.10.41 PM.png

caught it counterbalanced a little too hard for slow speed and...gone!

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 2.11.02 PM.png

I was laughing as it happened, cause when you know it's coming it's just funny and I must look like a total dick to the people walking by, who BTW didn't offer to help me pick the bike up, good job it only weighs 300lbs, cause it had sunk.

We pull further down the beach near the WWII bunkers on some firm sand (no more off's)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little more beach riding, and we may or may not have gone over the limit :D and we found an exit, but somehow became part of a wedding photoshoot, involving a Mustang!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A night full of beers, good food, and conversation followed and @Don T joined us, the next day a quick tire change cause the volcanic surfaces of Iceland had left my tires looking a little worse for wear and an oil change.

[​IMG]

The next week was just R&R and looking after Carlo, making videos, and planning where I could go next, the pandemic restrictions were in full swing in the Nordic countries as I arrived.

In case you don't who Carlo is he makes a guest appearance in this video.

Attached Files:

17. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :wave
    rtwpaul likes this.
  18. THRASHED

THRASHED In your helmet, no-one can hear you sing, I hope.

Oddometer:
    Welcome back, Paul.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  19. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Indeed.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  20. flying.moto

flying.moto Earthbound Misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    Although IG tied me over for a minute, welcome back, Paul!
    I try to make my IG posts flow more or less like a story but blog is still better!
    Thank you for all your efforts! They are definitely appreciated! Too bad i missed you in Italy. Maybe next time!
    :lurk
    :ricky
    :beer
    rtwpaul likes this.