A Yankee goes south...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Junyah, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Junyah

Junyah @ the speed of plaid

Oddometer:
    Edit: I have incorrectly closed my SmugMug account, so for the time being there are no pictures until later in the report in Mexico, when I switched to Photobucket. I will return and repost picture links when I have access to a laptop. Thanks for your patience, Jr.

for two years, or more, maybe less.. I don't know, lets see what happens. This will be an open ended trip with no real goals or any real purpose, other than to take a break from the grind of the rat race, to see the world, and with luck gain some more perspective.

Christmas Day 2013, I had nothing better to do than go climb a mountain. It was an incredibly beautiful day and I had the world to myself. The roads were empty, there was no other hikers, there was no wind blowing and it was 16F out. Even the birds were still. And as I sat there scrolling through ride reports here on ADV the seed was planted "Why can't I do this?" Well, I have no dependents and no family ties to this area, no relationship prospects, my dog had passed a month before, a job I have been doing for twenty years and had no joy or challenge in anymore and an old house that took a lot of wood and maintenance to keep warm. Screw this! I'm out!

[​IMG]

I do have to give a lot of credit for this decision to John Downs, I don't know the man but reading his ride report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831076 has made me realize that maybe I can do this too.

So January 1st I submitted my resignation and started the ball rolling. My last day was May 30th. My lease was up at the end of May as well. I sold, gave away, threw out, dispersed or stored my belongings and basically made it impossible for me to back out.

Very good friends of mine allowed me to stay in their hunting cabin for the summer. This was an excellent experience as it allowed me to decompress a little bit, have a summer off, Yeah! Right! and basically get my shit together and prepare for this trip without the distractions of life. That and four months of no bills allowed me to save some money. My friends have a small farm in the most picturesque part of southern VT so I've been quite busy earning my keep, with lots of projects coming and going. You see my friend has a little side business of fixing and restoring Land Cruisers, which is also my other hobby. So we've been cranking out all manner of things this summer.

The Cabin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bitingdog, greenboy 667, Daro and 3 others like this.
  2. Junyah

Oddometer:
    But before I could get too comfortable I had a little problem to get rid of, actually it was a lot of little problems!

Mice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to do battle!

[​IMG]

It took about a month to get rid of the little bastards and another week to clean ie: bleach the place from top to bottom. One thing I learned is that steel wool is tops for keeping mice from getting back in. They won't chew on it and will avoid it if possible. There must be five pounds of wool in that cabin now, but I sleep well at night!
  3. Junyah

Oddometer:
    The first project that I did/helped with was fixing and upgrading a fence on a portable mill. It was a single piston design that had a problem with binding when retracted. We fabbed up a twin piston set up and tripled the strength of the fence. The mill owner's happy.

The next project was, and is, my favorite. We call it the "Swamp Donkey" It's a 1967 FJ-40 Cruiser that was abandoned at a friends house. It was left next to a stream bed with the promise of returning next week, eight years later my friend wanted it gone. It had been flooded many times during the spring thaw over the years and was sunk to the hubs in the mud. I thought it was nothing but parts and hauled it to my house to give to my buddy Wally. Wally saw a truck for the road, I did not. I saw parts. The motor was seized, but not for long and not too long after that it was running!!! One month later it was registered and being driven everyday by it's new owner! Come to find out it has a '67 Chevy 283 in it that runs like a top and has a serious amount of power, who knew!
    And a pic of it now. The rusty patina has been left on the truck because it's not something that can be duplicated for any amount of money, that and it just plain looks cool.

[​IMG]
  4. Junyah

Oddometer:
    Saved for return
  5. Junyah

Oddometer:
    There is a lot of picture opportunities on the farm and I've been trying to get better at taking pictures. Not as easy as I first thought, but I'm getting better.

And once in a while the day's wrapped up with a nice sunset.

[​IMG]
  6. Junyah

Oddometer:
    Some of the other projects around the garage are doing gears, my favorite by far.

Installing air lockers in a differential.

Refurbishing transmissions

There's also fab work that needs to be done for the trip. I have the Wolfman bags and racks on my bike and wanted to install a Rotopack but I don't like the extra straps that you need to use to clear the Rotopack, so I made my own. I tried to mount the tank behind the rack but there was interference with the rear suspension, so I moved the rack out and added a little more support across the back and tied in the rear fender.

I'm happy with how it turned out and the whole thing is much more symmetrical now.

Now I don't need to take a bag off to access my spare fuel.

And just a random bike photo.
  7. Junyah

Oddometer:
    d
  8. Frenchman83

Frenchman83 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in! Cannot wait to see where you are at now!
  9. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck my friend, looking forward to your reports
  10. antipode

antipode Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed and looking forward to your RR.
    Best luck.
  11. De Oppresso Liber

De Oppresso Liber Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dude! I'm so in! Can't wait to see what we're all missing. . . . who knows, you just might inspire some other people to travel nomadically! :clap
  12. Rickboss

Rickboss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! Good luck and can't wait to read the RR!
  13. Junyah

Oddometer:
    Thank you Clark. Hope I can keep up with it.
  14. Junyah

Oddometer:
    Sitting down eating breakfast, if you must know. Kidding.
    Right now I'm in the process of closing up the cabin and trying to not put everything on the bike. I've some legal shtuff to deal with in back in NH, a off road event to go to, then I hit the road. First scheduled stop is Toms Woody Party on the 18th in NC.
  15. Junyah

Oddometer:
    That would be my greatest achievement on this trip. Great to have you along CJ.
  16. Junyah

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rickboss, like your sig line!
  17. Liza

Liza Dirty Girl

Oddometer:
    In. :D
    See ya' Wednesday. I'll bring the Switchback. :1drink
  18. Sporin

Sporin n00b

Oddometer:
    This is great! Looking forward to more updates. :freaky
  19. Junyah

Oddometer:
    :freaky:deal:clap
  20. Junyah

Oddometer:
    Wow Dave, a member for seven years and you finally break the silence, for me. I'm flattered, hope to see you this weekend:freaky