A Yankee goes south...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Junyah, Oct 5, 2014.

1. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Junyah; the Georgia Railroad Museum is a must see in Savannah (just off I95)and the NC transportation museum in Spencer(north of Charlotte and just off I85.) is very much worth several hours of your time. Old station in Salisbury just to the south is also very much worth your time. Both museums have lots of rail history. The Georgia museum is adjacent to a battlefield memorial and the former rail station across the street is also a museum. The cable tensioned roof support system is a neat bonus for people with any curiosity about alternate architecture methods. Safe travels when you start heading north. Barber will blow you away if you have not been before and Wheels through Time is equally interesting if you like mostly American steel.
    ONandOFF, Andres@1976 and Seenyah like this.
  2. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Junyah The Naval Aviation museum in Pensacola. The exhibits are mostly not roped off and you can actually touch the history. They have, I think it's a Hellcat, that flew combat in the south pacific, made it home for training duty, was ditched in Lake Michigan, recovered and resorted.

Restored save one panel that still has it's wartime paint. Very cool stuff.

Then you need to swing a tad west on your way north to Dayton Ohio and The US Air Force Museum. 4 hangers full. Some very historic planes, you can walk through the presidents planes. And they have Bockscar. The Memphis Belle was under restoration when I was there last year, not sure if it is done and on display yet or not. It was close then.

If your travels take you anywhere near the western Great Lakes holler out, I'll come meet you somewhere for a beer.
    ONandOFF and Seenyah like this.
  3. Seenyah

Seenyah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. De Oppresso Liber

De Oppresso Liber Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm currently in Dayton and by sheer coincidence, the air show is going on right now! The Memphis Belle is listed as being present.... i'm not sure if it's a static display or if it's finally flying. I think the restoration is done, i recall reading about it a few weeks back. I'd second the USAF museum in Dayton. It's near/at Wright-Patterson AFB.
  5. Andres@1976

Andres@1976 Southern guy

Oddometer:
    Moab Jr, Moab.
  6. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I was there the info volunteers told me she would be restored to flight status but not be flown.

Thunderbirds there? When I was a teen I saw them fly a show at The Air Force Academy. Be cool to see the at Wright-Patt.
  7. De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Nope, Blue Angels.

Moab? Really?! That sumbitch rode all the way 2/3 down South America and I couldn't get him to go to Ushuai! :dhorse
    Seenyah likes this.
  8. Junyah

Junyah @ the speed of plaid

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the ideas guys! If I ever get out of Suriname I'll be sure to check them out :bluduh

So my broker finally came out of his hole last Friday and "found" a pallet for me, apparently this is difficult when you work at a dealership that imports bikes...:umph I bring the bike over to make sure it'll fit...um...thats for a quad, pretty sure it'll fit. In fact it's too big, I really don't want to pay for the extra volume. No problem his friend's a welder he'll cut it down. Ok. I'll bring the bike back on Sunday, strip it down and load it up

20180625_092551.jpg

20180625_092609.jpg

A roll back is arranged to pick it up on Monday (two hours late) and take it around the block to the shipping office and drop it off

20180625_101839.jpg

Tuesday at 1pm is the cutoff for getting my bike to the airport. Tuesday morning my broker is unreachable and no news on the paperwork. Dispite repeated assurances that all will be well my broker has fallen back in his hole again.
    :kboom
    Finally after a pretty nasty text I get a call with all the excuses and lies:csm
    appearantly I needed to register as an exporter first...great, that would have been good info to know. Idiot. So that was done today, and he has until Thursday to provide my papers or I'll be shopping for another broker. Now the Lawnmower is sitting outside under a tarp at the shippers. Pretty pissed off and not making friends right now!

20180625_103751.jpg

At least it's gated with security, for whatever that's worth.

Jr.

9. Seenyah

Seenyah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hard to soar like an Eagle when your surrounded by Turkeys.
    ONandOFF, AhhDrJones and simmons1 like this.
  10. AhhDrJones

AhhDrJones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...but Dude! look how shinny the engine is!!! :-)
    Seenyah and 95Monster like this.
  11. SpiritAtBay

SpiritAtBay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just what I thought. Engine looks like it's just been painted!

And yet the Lawnmower looks vulnerable somehow
    Seenyah likes this.
  12. Junyah

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the perspective bud, put a smile on my face :thumb
    Daro and Seenyah like this.
  13. Junyah

Oddometer:
    Yeah, not too happy about leaving the bike like that, nothing to do about it now.
  14. Junyah

Oddometer:
    Finally have the Air Freight Bill in hand, paperwork is done, plane ticket is purchased, the mower and I should be in Miami in time for the 4th of July.
  15. De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear there's light at the end of that tunnel! Sucks to have to go through all that. The worst part I'd have to imagine is when you have very limited control over much....

But, once you arrive in Miami and Dog willing that your paperwork is in order, that you can get the lawnmower put back together and can get back on the road! Shake it off and let it go. When you look back, you'll have learned something you didn't know before plus have another campsite story to tell drinking a beer by the fire with about 100 of your closest friends at some ADV rally. I'll point you out to others.... "Ya, that's Junyah. Just another small scale faker. " :wave
    AhhDrJones, Junyah and Seenyah like this.
  16. AhhDrJones

Oddometer:
  17. lanefj40

lanefj40 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dave, if you end up rolling thru Nashville again Ian would be more than happy to put you up.:-)
  18. Junyah

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I landed in Miami and was pleasantly surprised to find it much cooler than Suriname, even though the temp is actually higher here! Being just that little bit farther away from the sun makes a big difference. The sun down there is STRONG, being that much closer to the equator.

I was told the bike wouldn't be cleared for pick up until about 2pm today, but received a call from Laparkan at 10:30 this morning to come and get it. Sweet yo! I'm on the way! A few signatures, and $1,753 later I'm headed across the street to Customs. They told me being July 4th Customs probably couldn't help me as they were not dealing with general shipments due to the holiday. Buggah. I had to try anyways.

The Agent thought I was importing the bike, but when I told him the bike was coming back to the States after a twenty country trip of Latin America, I got the 100yd stare.
    " You rode your bike from NH to Suriname? "
    " Yes sir "
    Long pause...
    " Licence and Title please "
    Glances over everything...Stamp!
    " Welcome home, and happy fourth of July! "
    " That's it?! "
    " That's it "
    I was shocked, as were the folks at Laparkan! Usually it's a lot more involved than that, with inspections and clearances etc.
    What a way to be welcomed home, on the fourth of July no less.
    Today, was a good day.

So I grabbed my gas can and went and got some fuel. They brought the bike out into the parking lot as they couldn't let me assemble the bike inside

20180704_125602.jpg

Five minutes later a Lawnmower had exploded in the lot

20180704_131917.jpg

45 minutes, and a victory wheelie, later and I was headed back to the hotel before the rain hit. Left the Hotel at 11, and back by 1:30! Today, was a good day.

So here I sit thinking, now what? Mile marker 0 on Rte1 is only a 160 miles away from here, but it's a dead end, down and back. Not sure it's worth it really. Could go to the beach and head North from there. The Everglades is right here, could take a tour of that. Annndd then I look at the travel funds...ouch!

The travel funds have taken a hard hit. Really hard. Buggah... So I'm going to head North along the East coast for a bit, head inland to visit a friend, and B line for Barbers Vintage in AL. Something I've always wanted to see. Afterwards I'll follow the Appalachian Mtn Range towards home, of course with some stops here and there, and get to NH by the 20th to attend the North East Adventure Rally hosted by my friend Bobnoxious67. Always a good time with great riding in the area. And also the campground from where I started this little adventure of mine nearly four years ago, damn how time flies! It'll be good to come full circle and finish this with my ADV riding buddies!

A link if anyone might interested https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/north-east-adventure-rally-july-20-22-2018-swnh.1274224/

Until later my friends,

Jr.

19. Junyah

Oddometer:
    Thanks Lane, it would be great to see Ian again! But alas...:cry
    Seenyah and lanefj40 like this.
  20. AhhDrJones

Oddometer:
    AWESOME DUDE!!-) Welcome back Bud!-D
    Daro and Seenyah like this.