Abandoned RailRoad - How far can I go?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by dredman, Apr 25, 2020.

1. dredman

dredman Dirty Moto-Tourist

Oddometer:
    So I have been tracking the history of Kellerman, Alabama since 2010 (a ghost town) and while researching and exploring, I have stumbled into the old railbed that led up to this mining town. The line was abandoned in 1962. Much of the railbed is underwater, but many of the tunnels still exist, and I intend to explore this line as far as I can go on a motorcycle. I have ridden to 3 of these tunnels as a young man and the scenery is EPIC (or at least WAS). I am pretty excited to share some of the history of this magnificent place, and maybe you will have as much fun watching as I do making these shorts. This is the first in the series of what I hope to 3-4 in this fascinating story.

2. dredman

Oddometer:
    This is one of 3 tunnels left on the M&O spur that I intend to find very soon.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Ginger Beard, JB2, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  3. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    Excellent thread. I wish I was there with you, love exploring. Keep it coming!
    dredman likes this.
  4. dredman

Oddometer:
    I think it is about to get interesting?
  5. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like great fun. I unwisely rode a lot of active railways in my youth to access otherwise unreachable trails. I even crossed some active trestles. I kept my guardian angel pretty busy.
    dredman likes this.
  6. dredman

Oddometer:
    I think I may have some footage of a small group of us almost getting the smackdown crossing a 200 foot tressel within a few seconds of a train?
  7. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Cool explorations! They recently decommissioned a rail section locally. No ghost towns but it appeared to be an excellent riding opportunity. I found access through a removed viaduct but spotted something into my first mile and that was heavy gauge wire stretched across the grade at about shoulder height. Obviously it was placed there by the land owner whose property backed the grade. If I had been on the pipe it could have easily taken me out, maybe even permanently. I navigated around the first roadblock and then saw several signs on the back fences of other property owners warning ATV's to "STAY OUT". Odd thing is I made it down a few more miles when someone working in a barn lot smiled and waved. Apparently not all land owners felt it necessary to police railroad property. I made it a total of about 4 miles into the adventure when at a road crossing it was clearly marked "Railroad Property" and listed Federal Offenses you could be prosecuted for.(?) They keep turning these old grades into walking and cycling trails and with the tracks removed it seemed like a good place to do some adventuring. Not so much. I see you are also watchful of property rights and legal access to the places you are trying to find. :thumb

[​IMG]
    Anxious to see what you find of Kellerman, especially the tunnels. Keep up the cool videos!
  8. dredman

Oddometer:
    Good to know others are finding these interesting too. I can think of about 5 abandoned sections that I have ridden that are AMAZING. The roll thru pristine countryside, no intersections, rarely people, and views that you will see nowhere else.

I found another section yesterday, working on that one now. Tunnels soon!
    JB2 likes this.
  9. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    I rode several miles of abandoned RR road bed in Utah , crossing the upper reaches of the great salt lake to see promontory , nice straight trail raised a bit over the desert and every time we cam to a dry creek we had to detour down through the creek bed and back up to the trail , I snapped and realized it was the original transcontinental rail road bed since we were going to promontory We just followed it there , there’s a really nice state park there that I wasn’t expecting and we had to get off the road bed because there were a pair of replica steam engines parked on the track just like in 1869 .
  10. dredman

Oddometer:
    Be a lot cooler if you had some pics? :lurk
  11. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    All on an old computer that took a crap , I’m lovin the disposable world .
    JB2 likes this.
  12. dredman

Oddometer:
    This is the second part of my search for the Kellerman spur of the M&O Railway, later, G, M&O owned by Twin Seams Mining until 1962. This is an interesting find in that most of the line is now underwater, or has been strip-mined, and all of the rail was removed after the mine closed in the 60's. The best parts are coming up, I just have to find the other sections and shoot them so stay tuned.

B10Dave, Amphib, phreakingeek and 2 others like this.
  13. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    This is as interesting as all get out! Are you walking in poison ivy?
    dredman likes this.
  14. dredman

Oddometer:
    Of course! We have 3 things in Alabama - Pine trees, Kudzu, and Poison Ivy. Only one of these is an industry.
    Themastermike and Knightwork like this.
  15. lipsee

lipsee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dredman likes this.
  16. Knightwork

Knightwork Have Coffe Cup--Can Travel

Oddometer:

I have run that route---and seen the replica engines at that Park also.

A group of us ran the "Heart of the West" that an inmate here sets up routing and advice for. Tony is one hell of a Gentleman and a really good host. If you like the old tracks then look up Tony's Heart of the West on this in the Venders thread. Unlimited fun even if you wreck your bike and break it in 3 pieces the first time you run the route.

The second time is a charm. LOL

KW
  17. dredman

Oddometer:
    I have a similar, probably older map, smaller with less detail. Yours is much better, and takes me all the way down to Fox Junction, where they scrapped #5 - awesome - THANK YOU!!

Attached Files:

18. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    We used to ride some old beds around MT Olive-Brookside getting to trails. They closed all those down. Got chased by a RR cop one time. They put up barriers even dirt bikes couldn't get around.
    dredman likes this.
  19. dredman

Oddometer:
    You mean the Interstate system for dirt machines? Good trails over there, seems like cops were always out ther too?
  20. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, had to be careful.