1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned RailRoad - How far can I go?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by dredman, Apr 25, 2020.

1. dredman

dredman Dirty Moto-Tourist

Oddometer:
    Simply wandering around in the woods can be fun if you know what you are looking for, have a map, and some tech to use it all. 58 years later and things have changed quite a bit.

B10Dave, Amphib and 10K like this.
  2. dredman

Oddometer:
    Finally found a way down into Daniel Creek and the remnants of one trestle. The creek was too deep to cross, but I will be back soon when water levels decrease to find 3 tunnels and any other evidence I can of trestles, railbeds and confirm the water tank platform that I rode right past this time.
    PilbaraGoat, GPD323, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  3. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    How many other people ride out on those trails?
    dredman likes this.
  4. dredman

Oddometer:
    This place was once a mecca for motos & 4x4's back in the 80's but when I ask folks it seems most folks around here know nothing about it? I am sure there are a few jeeps that run thru, as I have seen their tracks. I guess I have it mostly to myself?
    10K likes this.
  5. lipsee

lipsee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Mr Dredman,,, In regard to the vid. What can you expect to find? Well the answer to that is, Anything and nothing,,, I doubt you will find an abandon crashed steam train,(but you just might) You say all the rail is gone,,Well ,if it was passenger line or main line then you might see bits of signalling (brackets and such) but because its industrial,,thats less likey. What you will find of interest (to me at least) is just the cuttings though the forest ,figuring out where the track was.. I am so so jealous,,I would love to do what you are doing...Here in the UK,,, There are loads of old railways,,,but on the ground they are not worth exploring,unless on the net..(too many restrictions ) Enough rambling!! You are right to stay safe,,, be prepared for the unexpected,,,being on your own carrys alot of safety issues,,( but hell I like just to worry about ME ) regards
    dredman likes this.
  6. dredman

Oddometer:
    My understanding is they scrapped all the locomotives (even have some pictures of one being scrapped) and maybe the best I can hope for is from a crash in 1962 on the last day of operations - 2+ cars fell off a broken trestle - that single day is an amazing story, and I have an interview with the 14 year old boy that witnessed it all!
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  7. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks dredman; really enjoying going through the woods with you.
    dredman likes this.
  8. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    @dredman

Been watching your thread (accidentally) since you started it here. I am enjoying it, but ...............alone?
    dredman likes this.
  9. dredman

Oddometer:
    I am feeling like you folks are with me, it has mostly always felt like that?
    B10Dave likes this.
  10. dredman

Oddometer:
    I have been riding most of my life alone, it seems easier, and I get a LOT more riding done than trying to align schedules and interests. It would be MUCH safer to have some folks ride along, but then you have to deal with THEIR dead/broken bodies/bikes? :) I am arranging a couple more dudes to go on the next trip, hoping maybe we can get some exploring and motocamping in the same weekend? Sometimes the stars align?
    windblown101, The Opa and B10Dave like this.
  11. flashbackmac

flashbackmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ivebeen to those tunnels,got off of I20 W. .used to be a girl scout off that road.road to the river,seemed like there was a unloading platform
    there. the next tunnels were hard to get to,trestle was out,so we had to swim to the next one. i used to live in al,and rode with your group
  12. dredman

Oddometer:
    Indeed, everything you say is true, good to hear from you again man!
  13. dredman

Oddometer:
    This week I rode the last section of railbed that remains above water on the river to find tunnel #1 partially submerged. The floor of the tunnel is a rocky and slippery surface with 2 feet of water hiding the unknown. This section should certainly be preserved for future generations, if nothing else but for hiking and biking.

Hogges, The Opa, bomose and 5 others like this.
  14. dredman

Oddometer:
    This is a photo of Shay #5 coming out of the other side of the tunnel above (#1), of course the trestles no longer remain, but I remember some of the timbers sticking out of the creek bed. I aim to find out what is left this week.

#5-out-of-#1-brakeman-3rd-car.png
  15. Knobbie

Knobbie Ex Teams

Oddometer:
    Very nice. You've actually taken adventure motorcycling to the next level. Keep them coming and stay safe out there.
    WRC51 and dredman like this.
  16. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great stuff, please keep it coming. Ha ha just sitting here I get that little pit of fear in my stomach, be careful out here by yourself.:clap
    dredman likes this.
  17. dredman

Oddometer:
    Took a group with me yesterday - amazing! Should have that video by this weekend?
    WRC51 and B10Dave like this.
  18. dredman

Oddometer:
    From the Expedition on Sunday - video soon!

adventure.jpg PHOTO_20200517_125920.jpg
    bomose, MYUMPH, WRC51 and 4 others like this.
  19. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk:drink
  20. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dredman---------I share your enthusiasm finding old stuff like this.
    I've spent a lot of time poking around like you finding neat things---railroads being one of my fascinations too.
    I've ridden my bicycle all the way across Missouri on an old railroad bed----the "Katy Trail"----270 Miles-----and spent 3 days riding my motorcycle on the Kettle Valley railroad bed in British Columbia on my way to Alaska------and countless others thru the years.
    Hope you find those illusive tunnels.
    And like you have done some stupid stuff----there's a very long tunnel near me that is 1 1/2 miles long where me and a buddy rode thru it and had to lay our motorcycles down and hug the sides when a train went thru--------that was 40 years ago when I'm sure the engineer just laughed----------today I'm sure they would hunt you down.
    BD
    JB2, bomose and dredman like this.