Abandoned RV park at Junction 37

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BlackdogADV, Jul 24, 2019.

1. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    9A83CA2E-2D73-49B2-BB83-F17B29A4D84B.jpeg Last year on our way home from Inuvik my wife and I became somewhat desperate for a place to stay. The provincial parks and motels around Watson Lake were all full. We came across this really nice abandoned RV park at Junction 37. The picnic tables were falling apart and the restrooms had been closed for years. Surprisingly the water was still on as well as the electricity. Two weeks ago I was on my way to Tuktoyaktuk and noticed a bunch of ADV riders at the park. I of course stopped to BS a bit and found they had spent the night there and had power and water. There is no place to inquire about paying or anything. A gas station is within walking distance but they had no info about the park either. Do any of have any info on this place?
    Kawazacky likes this.
  2. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    Not a RV park, it was the work camp for the crews installing the power line along 37.
    jfman and Steve G. like this.
  3. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    That makes sense as I seen about 70 tiny bedrooms in some portable units. All the doors were open and nature/wildlife was taking over. There are RV spaces though with hookups. What year did the power line go in?
  4. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    some guys working the power line stayed in their own RVs/trailers depending on the deal with their employer or other circumstance. the place looked like a small city, kinda typical of a work camp. there are energy sector work camps in the Horn River formation off the Alaska Highway that are even bigger, but you don't see them because they're out in the bush. work started circa 2011/12.

for those moto travelers who were on the Cassiar pre powerline, the changes have been dramatic, and kinda changed the flavor of the road.
    jfman likes this.
  5. kegonlegs

kegonlegs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is not a camp for the hydro line. The power line only goes up as far north as Iskut to supply power to Imperial Metals Red Chris mine. There is a Sub station further south near Bob Quinn. The power line will also support future open pit mines at Galore creek, Schaft creek, and KSM. The closest the power line is to The 37 and Alaska hwy is a good 300km's. Regardless it looks like a nice campground.
  6. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s the perfect place for an ADV rider. We had a black bear walk through our camp, then a young dog stole my wife’s shoe. We slept good that night.
    AwDang likes this.
  7. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    true, my mistake, i was thinking of the high line work camp that was down at the Junction when i went through there in 2013.
  8. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    I agree as I rode it both before and after. They cleared a lot of trees to make place for the Pylones. The poweline acess roads hoever make great camping opportunities up on the road. Just don't let the abundant .bear scat scare you
  9. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    the Cassiar used to be a photo-op paradise, you could stop just about anywhere and point the camera 360degrees, getting a great photo in each quadrant. not now though. i did meet a civil engineer at a fuel stop in Prince George who did the line and grade survey work to layout the Cassiar, pretty darn interesting conversation at the pumps. they moved the crews in and out of their base camps with float planes, the work was brutal, bugs beyond description...but he was young, loved the experience.

i've traveled extensively across the north country, and i've seen more black bears per mile on 37/37A than anywhere else. don't know why, perfect habitat, no hunting pressure, or some other reason.

i've been passed by other motos on those roads who were pulling the ton at the least. they were moving so fast that they must not have noticed all the bear scat they were running through. those ain't the right roads for that speed.
    fastredbike and Steve G. like this.
  10. kegonlegs

kegonlegs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes now I know you really ment the camp at Meziadin junction, in 2012 it was booming there. Back in 1990 when I was kid working in the Golden triangle we had to fly out to the 37 to Bell 2 to get explosives, I remember it as a really run down little restaurant/gas station, now it's a blinged out heli skiing lodge. Still prefer the 37 over the Alaska highway. Also stayed at the camp in Meziadin in 95, what a place/cheap booze from Hyder=CLUB MEZ.:photog
  11. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Theres now a pretty nice gas station at the Meziadin junction.
  12. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i'd take the view and remote feel of the road over fuel and the high line, but i'm being selfish, it's not my province, it's not my country. in other words, i'm a tourist, not a stakeholder.

discussing the subject with a local guy, he said "Hey, we need the juice up here."