Abba Superbike Stand review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by 81forest, Oct 3, 2014.

1. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    It seems that not a lot of ADV folk have used this product (because your bike has a center stand, duh!), so here's a review. Arrived in the mail today, from a distributor in Canada. Woo hoo!

[​IMG]

What's the point of this spendy little piece of metal fab? Well, I have a bike that is very difficult to lift. Underbelly real estate is scarce on this thing, because of the battery location and some hard oil lines that run along the lower case. I wanted to adjust some play in my steering head bearing, so I couldn't just put it up on a front stand that lifts by the steering stem, and I couldn't just lift it from the triple tree via ratchet strap tied to the rafters.

Enter Abba stand. The simple idea is to lift the bike by the swing arm pivot point. Once there, you can pivot the front or rear wheel off the ground, and service rear suspension, front suspension etc. It comes with a model-specific set of adaptor bobbins for your bike's swing arm pivot bolts. Here's what mine look like:

[​IMG]

Once the bobbins are in, the stand is put into place and locked down. The cool thing is that the bike goes from being on its own side stand, to being totally locked into the Abba stand and ready to pivot up. If you are familiar with using a regular rear stand like a Pitbull, there is always that awkward moment when you are standing behind the bike, trying to balance it with one hand while you hold the rear stand with the other. The Abba is way more secure, and there is almost no way you could drop the bike while setting it up, unlike a rear stand.

Note the brass "cup" that fits over the swing arm pivot bobbin:

[​IMG]

Then you lock down the other side tight and secure with that T-handle, all while the bike is still on its side stand. It only takes a few seconds.

[​IMG]

Then this handle extends out of one of the stand's arms, for leverage:

[​IMG]

And voila!

[​IMG]

You can see that I stuck a piece of 2X8 under the case so I could lift the front end; the weight bias at the pivot point lifts the back end but it's not much weight either way. Push on the pillion seat, and the front wheel comes up. Abba sells a little kit that allows you to lift the front of the bike with the stand; to me it wasn't worth an extra 50 bucks.

There you have it. All in all, I'm glad I bought it and I think I will get plenty of use from it. Remove rear wheel or shock, service front end, or just make a very stable platform for general cleaning and repairs (it's a lot more stable than a rear stand.)

Gripes? Of course.
    • Expensive. After shipping costs, we're talking $250.
    • Maybe it's just my bike, but the fulcrum point on the stand could be a little bit better. I wish that the legs were pointed forward a bit more when it's in the "up" position, just for peace of mind.
    • The little bobbins can get lost, which would make the whole thing useless. Luckily, there is a way to store it that clamps the bobbins in place on the stand (see the first pic.)

Ride swiftly, my friends! :1drink
  2. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    Here is a stock pic of the accessory that allows you to strap down the front or rear wheel. It would be handy, but you can accomplish the same thing with a little imagination (or easily fab one up if you have the skills):

[​IMG]
  3. Ron Strommer

Ron Strommer n00b

Oddometer:
    Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

This is a great product.
  4. CharlesLathe

CharlesLathe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a good perspective here, but you can see that the accessory front end lift kit is effective. Since shipping is a killer on this product, my two cents is that the front end lift kit is what really makes the Abba stand special.

[​IMG]
    redkerk84 and Ron Strommer like this.
  5. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    I have one for a Hayabusa.

Brilliant, and way better than the scary balance/reach down/around trying to get paddock stand on the bobbins.....
    redkerk84 likes this.