Abnormally tall GSA riders how did you reduce buffeting and make your bike more tall guy friendly?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by lacofdfireman, Jun 2, 2019.

1. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Curious as to what some of you taller guys have done to reduce wind buffeting on your GSA. I’m riding a 2009 GSA and it’s pretty bad. Bike is pretty much stock. Does have a custom Corbin seat which sucks. I’d like to find a used stock seat for sale somewhere. This one is to low, to much of a cutout. I feel like I’m sitting “in” the bike and not on it. And with the bar risers I feel like I’m riding a chopper.

What have you taller guys done to help you out to make it more comfortable. My Tenere had way more room than this bike currently does. But I think most of it is due to the seat being so dished out.

IMG_5224.jpg
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Sometimes the answer is to buy a Tenere! My 2006 BMW R1200GS buffeted so much it was intolerable. I got custom molded ear plugs and a better helmet, also a taller windshield.
  3. Lone Raven

Lone Raven Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went with a MRA windscreen which seemed to help a lot. As far as the seat goes I ditched the Corbin that came with mine and put a Touratech DriRide on.
  4. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I suggest you try Tino's (Shapeways) Windscreen modification with the OEM BMW clear plastic headlight protector.

IMG_0482.jpg
    AJ41 and PineyMountainRacing like this.
  5. wozza

wozza Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Givi Airflow adjustable Screen (I suggest sweeping the angle back as opposed to forward and square on the wind
    Motorius likes this.
  6. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'2" and a Russell Day Long seat has worked very well for me. It raises me up about 1 or 1 1/2 inches and is very comfortable.

2 inch Rox Pivot Risers allow me to get the handlebars in a comfortable position.

I've also adjusted the stock windshield 1 notch down from full up. Many here have added an extra tall windshield and that may help you.
    Motorius likes this.
  7. zekester63

zekester63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m not “abnormally” tall, but at 6’2” with a long torso, I too experienced unsatisfactory buffeting on my ‘18 GSA. Fortunately I got lucky with an easy fix by adding one of the “clip on” spoilers to the top. It actually made a dramatic difference and I no longer even need the screen raised up as far as it can go. Also makes me wish I had tried that on my previous bike (VStrom) before trying everything else I did. I will also add that I added mirror extenders, but not sure how much that played in with the buffeting. Definitely 100% better mirrors now that I can see more road than jacket.

I went cheap with the spoiler and bought one on Amazon, but I’m sure the MRA Vario Spoiler or similar might be better quality. Just a bit too pricey to buy without knowing it would actually help. However, the Amazon spoiler I bought seems to be holding up just fine.

Lastly, with the already wobbly windscreen on the GSA, adding the spoiler only made it worse so I’ve added ZTechnik support brackets and that helped quite a bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    brenter, Gemel, Boxerbreath and 2 others like this.
  8. Dan-M

Dan-M Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not abnormally tall but the Givi AF330 wind screen set up really cleaned up the buffeting. I can ride at highway speed in relatively calm air with it in the lowest position. It is a huge improvement compared to the stock shield or the Wunderlich I tried initially.
  9. Deano747

Deano747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fitted an MRA X-Creen (clamp on) a month ago. Just done a 6,000 Km little ride and wished I had fitted the X-Creen 70,000 Kms ago. Buffeting, headshakes etc gone. Liked it so much just ordered one for my XR.
    Gemel likes this.
  10. CB1*

CB1* n00b

Oddometer:
    A third for the Givi AF330.
  11. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's my $00.02.

I'm not what I'd call "abnormally tall", but I'm in the 6'4"- 6'5" neighborhood.

I ride a GSA and a taller aftermarket windshield and aftermarket seat did the trick for me.

I've had several different windshields over the years but now have a V-Stream.

As far as a seat ............. I've put 200,000+ miles on a Touratech Tall One-piece saddle. It works better for me than anything else that I've tried. I've got long arms even for my height, and the TT seat lets me easily slide further backward since there is very little profile change from front to back.

And also ................ I recently tried one of the Puig deflectors on my K1200GT and it made so much more difference than I thought it would. I'm pleasantly surprised!

Good luck and holler with any questions.

RD
  12. Noslenam_Dakar

Noslenam_Dakar n00b

Oddometer:
    I’m 6-6 and ride a stock 2018 GSA. To tell you the truth what little I feel is 100 time better than what I felt with ridding a 2001 650 Dakar for about 10 years. At some point I may look at some ways to reduce it but it’s really not that bad.
    Motorius likes this.
  13. Gemel

Gemel Still making mistakes.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    6'3 on cam head GSA.

I have a Russell saddle, but OEM will do for short stints.
    Windshield, currently use a VStream medium height, with MRA clip on deflector.
    The above combo works a treat, in cold weather I can raise the screen high to deflect air to the top of the helmet, yet still look above it. In the heat, lower them both and have air directed at my neck

I may have an OEM saddle to sell as I tend to use the Russell more often than not. PM me if interested.
  14. Lone_GS_rider

Lone_GS_rider Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm starting to get the idea that at 6 foot tall, I'm a short rider for the GS crew. lol. :)
    Pabst and Jimkav like this.
  15. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    62298 in lovely corrupt/bankrupt Southern Illinois
    I owned a 2007 GSA and installed a Touratech windshield extender. That plus the OEM side deflectors made the bike pretty smooth for me at 6’4” tall. I’ve owned several S10s (like you) and remember the GSA being similar to how smooth my ‘15 is now.
  16. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    At 6'4" I added the factory off road foot pegs in the lowest position combined with a medium height V-Stream windscreen. Made all the difference in the world for me.
  17. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    This is your best answer ^
  18. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What’s your price shipped for your OEM saddle? Do you have the front and rear? Also didn’t you have to send your seat pan to Russell? I know I did when I had them build me one once.

Thanks. I live in St. George, UT
  19. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's a point of diminishing returns, if a tall rider is seeking to sit upright behind a windshield. I went the other direction, and chopped and lowered my stock GS screen. The flip lip is gone, and the screen lays flatter now, leaving my upper body and helmet in clean fresh air, no buffeting at all.

[​IMG]
    Rogue_Ryder likes this.
  20. m931a2

m931a2 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m 5’ 20” and I live in TX so it’s hot. I cut the screen down as I want more air not less in the summer. Now the only buffering is from trucks and big cars.

Take your screen off and go for a spin. There are lots of YouTube videos on cutting down a bike screen

Attached Files:

overlander and Andrew like this.