Abnormally tall GSA riders how did you reduce buffeting and make your bike more tall guy friendly?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by lacofdfireman, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Jarniscipus

Jarniscipus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Question for you guys with the MRA X-Creen, are you using the sport or touring version? I'm 6'2"....wondering how much the sport version pushes the air up over stock on the 1250GSA and if that will do the trick?
  2. Deano747

Deano747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sport - and the X-Creen doesn't have to sit higher than the windscreen to get the airflow to be deflected higher.

Mine used to hit mid helmet - now over the top by ~ 6"

Fluid dynamics is quite fascinating.

Attached Files:

3. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    By the way, if anyone is interested, I have this enormously tall screen from my 1150 that I don't use... reach my strictly by PM.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. Jarniscipus

Jarniscipus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Deano, your pics and reply is very helpful. So what is the advantage of the clip on vs buying a new screen altogether that is higher? Also I like to ride with the screen down when not on long rides, what does it do then? If the screen is down all the way does it blow air in your face and cause buffetting because now it is head level? Also how long does it take to remove it? Many thanks!
  5. Castos

Castos Castos

Oddometer:
    I am 6.2 and ride with my normal standard windscreen and seat. I do not have any buffeting whilst riding.
    nagold252 and Andrew like this.
  6. Gemel

Gemel Still making mistakes.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi, I found a used Russell so never had to send my original one in. I had even bought a used standard one just in case...
    How does $120 shipped sound?
    I only have the front one. PM if interested, thanks.

As for the MRA screen, I use the Tour as its wider, wished I had it on all the bikes I've ever owned. It would have saved me a pretty penny from all the different windshields I tried.
    zekester63 likes this.
  7. Jimkav

Jimkav Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    4E9F5E0E-6707-4752-957E-16F215C7EC9A.png At 6’6” run the tallest screen I could find & clip on additional screen.
    Gel ass pad with sheepskin seat cover.
  8. Deano747

Oddometer:
    Couple of questions - What bike are you riding? What's your torso length wrt your leg length ......

I have tried several screens - currently running the Puig. Ugly as, but pretty effective at reducing the buffeting (particularly lateral buffeting) wrt the standard GSW screen. I also use (I am going to say wunderlich) screen support brackets to stop the screen wobbling around. I always run the screen at the low setting as I don't like looking through the screen. That's also the reason I have the X-Creen set below the top of the windscreen. The aerodynamics of airflow doesn't require the X-Creen to be above the windscreen to direct the resultant airflow higher. In really simple terms, it creates a venturi effect for the stream of air from the windscreen to attach itself onto. Sort of reverse of the effect of LE flaps on airplanes. Don't think of the X-Creen (or it's impersonators) as adding height to the windscreen - that's not it's prime function.

I went with the clamps as an initial attachment method as I was intending on swapping the X-Creen between several bikes and screens and wanted to find out how effective it was before I drilled holes. I like it so much that I ordered another for the XR. The X-Creen comes with both the clamps & the permanent attachment brackets.

BTW - I am not particularly tall - 6' & 31" leg length in the old money and with the screen setup now, the BMW pegs in a lower position & Rox risers, it's just about perfect ergonomically.
  9. bauerboy

bauerboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    0597F4F7-AEF1-4CE9-9C0B-187E846A299E.png
    I went with the clip on wunderlich on my 13 & 16 GSA. At 6’2”, I can position it and the windscreen so I can ride with my visor open. No buffeting except in traffic as normal. I set it so I can see right over the top. The advantage I feel is you can direct the air to flow over your helmet. The opening below between the screen and clip-on helps with the pocket of unstable air behind the windscreen that causes some of the buffeting. It is all I have ever needed. The side wind deflectors on the GSA help in this too. Good luck.
    Deano747 likes this.
  10. Castos

Castos Castos

Oddometer:

I am riding a 2017 1200 GSA Torso 60cm and leg 104 cm Shoulder to top of head 24cm
  11. Deano747

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. The GSA screen is a whole different beast to the GS screen that the OP has. And the GS doesn't get the winglets.

Quite a few have had good results with fitting the GSA screen & winglets to fix the buffeting & head shakes you get on the GS.

Maybe a cheaper option for the OP.

I note that your extra height is in the legs so your head height from seated is about the same as mine.
    Rogue_Ryder likes this.
  12. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am 6'5" and I had a 2010 GSA until a few months ago when I traded it in on a 17.
    I had to shed the stock seat it was far to narrow, went to a Sargent and it was a dream. The corbin looked to couchish for me.
    All I did to the wind screen is sand off the little bump that stopped the wind screen from fully extending, and added latches to replace the tightening dials that were lame. That added just the right geometry to make it ok. maybe more would have been a bit better but I never needed to. On my 2017 with its awesome little dial extender, it will not go high enough and I am going to put a taller windscreen on it.

Attached Files:

13. judgedelta

judgedelta Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    5' 20" rounds up to about 6 feet 8 inches, more or less?
    Deano747 likes this.
  14. BigGuy

BigGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am 6'7" with tall upper body on a 2016 GSA.
    The clip on spoiler on top of windscreen and handlebar risers help but it gets windy above 75mph.
  15. KLRTucson

KLRTucson Hey, a bright shiny thing

Oddometer:
    Givi AF 330 I think.....I think its one of the uglier options, but man it is the only thing that ever worked for my 2008 GSA. 6'5". That and the Russell saddle are my top two purchases.

Added bonus, if you want to lower it orate the second piece off completely, it takes two second to lower or remove.
  16. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The AF-330. That is what I did. I am 6'3" and the stock screen had the buffeting hit me right in the neck. It felt like the wind was pulling my helmet up at speed. It was horribly uncomfortable. I tried a used, tall something that I found on the FM. It eliminated the buffeting. I was sitting in a pretty still air pocket. So much so, that it was uncomfortably hot when it was above 80. When I am out on the road, I slide the slider high up and enjoy the relative lack of buffeting. When it is hot, I lower it and enjoy the breeze. I have to try tipping it back to see what that does. I have always had it in the far forward placement.

Something to keep in mind though. If you do the AF330, you loose the crossbar, so you might have to figure out another place to mount your gps.
  17. dartymoor

dartymoor n00b

Oddometer:
    Yet another vote for the Givi Airflow.

I'm 6'2" so not really tall, but it's made a huge difference over stock. So much so I forget to close my visor even at motorway speeds some times. (Until a large fly or bee reminds me)
    StayFrosty and barnyard like this.
  18. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The bike I’m talking about is a GSA not a GS
  19. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ran the Givi Airflow on one of my Teneres. And yes it’s the ugliest option out there but it did work well once you found the sweet spot.
  20. WyldCFH

WyldCFH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This thread has intrigued me since it started...

I'm 6'5", pretty even between torso and legs with a 34" inseam and don't notice any buffettng on my HP with the touring pack windscreen. Either all the way up or fully down. There is a ton of wind noise though.

Possibly because I come from a naked bike background with no windscreen, possibly because I have the comfort seat in the high/low config. Maybe it is helmet shape? I have a Scorpion AT950 and a Shoei RF-1200