Abnormally tall GSA riders how did you reduce buffeting and make your bike more tall guy friendly?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by lacofdfireman, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But the noise is what we are talking about, it comes from the turbulent air. That was the issue with my 2010 gsa, it sent the turbulent air right at my eyes/forhead. With it less then an inch higher and more vertical in geometry the sound lessend alot. So with my BMW modular helmet it was fine
  2. TunturiSport

TunturiSport 13 edessä ja 28 takana

Oddometer:
    Please tell me what you mean by "buffeting". Seriously, my English-Finnish dictionary does not know this word! I understand turbulent airflow, laminar airflow, and noise. What are we discussing about?

I am 191 cm, long back. My 1200 gsa year 2018 original screen gives good wind protection with almost no turbulence. But it creates noise, yes it does! My solution is good quality ear plugs (like Hearos). I change them often and try to always insert them carefully.
  3. WyldCFH

WyldCFH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ten cent ear plugs can cure wind noise from turbulent air. Head shake(buffeting) can only be solved by redirecting the air, higher/lower/around.
  4. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m talking about my head shaking from getting so much wind it can actually give me blurred vision after awhile and a headache. I feel like a bobble head. If I stand up it’s clean air and feels great and is even quieter but the wind being directed right into my head means I’m fighting it. Also it can create a back pressure feeling. That’s what I mean with buffeting.
  5. TunturiSport

TunturiSport 13 edessä ja 28 takana

Oddometer:
    So, buffeting means head shaking airflow. It is bad! I experienced a lot of it on my previous bike gs 1200 (basic, not adventure) year model 2012. The best solution for that was givi airflow plus gsa type winglets. On my present bike (1200 gsa year 2018) I do not experience head shaking.
  6. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aeroflow, best windscreen ever! Ugly but very effective.
  7. PurpleTiger

PurpleTiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am 6’4” with long torso. On my F800 the madstad was great but I thought I would try other options here. I now have a 2016 GSA. The Clip on Touratech worked well but the little rubber stoppers are difficult to adjust. The X Creen worked just as well and seems more solid and stopped the buffeting just as well.
  8. Archangel

Archangel GS Heaven

Oddometer:
    6' 2" on a 2010 GSA. MRA X-creen Touring blade. Best money I ever spent next to my pivot pegz.
    Gemel likes this.
  9. lacofdfireman

Oddometer:
    Someone once told me you can buy something like this on Amazon but I can’t find one anywhere. Also do you have the bolt on or clamp on? Any pics you can post. Thanks.
  10. lacofdfireman

Oddometer:
    Which clip on spoiler do you use? Supposedly there is one on Amazon that people like but I can’t find it.
  11. Deano747

Deano747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Posts #7, #22, and #27 on this thread have the photos you are looking for.

45 seconds on Google gave this link to RevZilla - they are over your side of the equator I believe.

Get the Clamp-on kit. It comes with the bolt on kit included.
  12. Tor

Tor Imported Norwegian

Oddometer:
    6' 2" - Using a Puig Screen with brackets on both sides. Seat is a RDL. Perfect.

[​IMG]
    zekester63 likes this.
  13. zekester63

zekester63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    todcp likes this.
  14. todcp

todcp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link. Ordered one. I am 6'4" with a longer than normal torso and the stock 1250 GSA touring screen was hitting my helmet badly, at all speeds, regardless of how I positioned it. Hope this helps.
    I recently installed the Puig "racing" small screen for summer riding here in Florida. Nice clean air.
  15. ShirtTucker

ShirtTucker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You tall guys/gals might also want to try the MadStad windshield.

It worked great on my Vstrom, and Tiger 1050. It didn't work as well on my Versys 1000, so I installed the Givi Airflow.

Since it doesn't appear as if Givi makes an Airflow for the newer R1200GS, I'm thinking of trying the MadStad screen again.
    I currently have a Vstream installed, but I still get buffeting on the top of my helmet when the screen is adjusted so I can see
    over it.

https://madstad.com/collections/bmw/products/bmw-r1200gsw-2013
  16. lacofdfireman

Oddometer:
  17. Dogslobber

Dogslobber Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Remove your mirrors then go for a ride. When I did that almost all of the buffeting went away. I’m not abnormally tall, but I hadn’t thought of the mirrors until it was mentioned to me by a KTM rider.

This is my solution. Not pretty, but functional at fixing my buffeting.

IMG_3011.jpg
    IMG_3011.jpg
    IMG_3011.jpg
  18. lacofdfireman

Oddometer:
    Interesting for sure.
  19. Deano747

Deano747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And once again - RevZilla
  20. lacofdfireman

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Yes I know they sell them was just trying to be cheap and buy the Amazon one for $40 instead of $162 from Revzilla. But maybe you get what you pay for. And the Amazon one wouldn’t ship for almost a month anyways so that one won’t work for me anyways.
    Deano747 likes this.