Abnormally tall GSA riders how did you reduce buffeting and make your bike more tall guy friendly?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by lacofdfireman, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Dogslobber

Dogslobber Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    And now my bike looks like one of those fat floppy eared goats instead of a Holstein cow!!:lol3:lol3:jack:jack:imaposer
  2. webjester

webjester Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, I just mounted the X-creen touring yesterday and took it for a ride today.

Wow! What a difference. Wind noise and buffeting completely gone. Fantastic. :clapAll these years and a variety of screens to no avail. Worth every penny. I opted for the touring size and the permanent mount. Good decision.

Like someone else said, not necessary to put it in the high position. The lowest setting and close to the stock screen already did the trick. Turns the airflow into a laminar air stream without turbulences.

Here are the stats:

2016 GSA stock
    6'4" rider with a looong torso and seat in the HIGH position.
    X-Creen from Revzilla for 134.95

Damn, these tires are noisy now :lol3:lol3:lol3 IMG_20190704_103703.jpg

Attached Files:

3. webjester

webjester Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One more pic IMG_20190704_080309.jpg
    karter18 and Deano747 like this.
  4. rdbonds

rdbonds Breaker of Things

Oddometer:
    +1 on "stacked" shields. The air gap in the middle takes away the low pressure that forms behind shields. That low pressure pulls the air coming off the top down, creating the buffet. On my Gold Wing, I run a Madstad. It's amazing. When I bought my 2007 GSA, I had buffeting, and considered the Madstad again, but their r1200 shield is a one piece so I opted for the Givi Airflow like many here. With the stock shield, I ran it as far up as it would go, and removed the nubs to go higher. Now I run the Givi about half way up on the bike's notches, and the slider is about half way up. Very, very nice smooth flow now.
  5. Beils

Beils Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The stock shield on my 2007 GS was very uncomfortable to ride behind. I replaced it with a Machine Art Moto instrument cover, and now love riding in clean air! My riding buddy has a 2015 GS with MAM's new version for WC, and his works with the same effect. Plus, you don't have to look thru multi layers of plastic...
  6. Pinhead78

Pinhead78 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I am 6,8” and I put on the lower Adventure pegs, a tall comfort seat from seat concepts and the tall Puig screen.
    The only time it wobbles is with side wind or when get close to the 90mph mark.
    Stupid me bought the dark tinted screen, which I can’t recommend. Beside that, puig is a great screen
  7. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Just ordered one from Revzilla. It’s already at my house but I’m stuck at the Fire Station and not sure when I can get a day off. Been at the station for 3 weeks. So haven’t been home in awhile. Hoping Monday I can go home for a day. Sucks being short handed at work.
  8. Wildmtn

Wildmtn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is what I did. The stock screen was basically making wind hit me right in the head at speed. Instead of making it bigger I went with the MAM slip screen and run it year round. Better than a super tall windscreen in my opinion as I off-road my 17 gsa a bit and the clean air is superior to the stock screen. As always your mileage may vary...
  9. KLRTucson

KLRTucson Hey, a bright shiny thing

Oddometer:
    That is some serious OT:)
  10. overtone

overtone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Little GS/A Johnny, show us on the doll where the bad air touched you...

The answer to GS/A buffeting is to run a small screen in the lowest position. It's good enough for a SS1K with a beaked helmet, as experience shows.

It's an adventure bike. Embrace the elements. This whole notion of turning a GS/A into an RT or a Goldwing or a car.. shaking my head, homies (because of severe turbulence, but whatever).
    feisty likes this.
  11. Muskyjerk

Muskyjerk n00b

Oddometer:
    http://www.nationalcycle.com/z2488.html

Im 6'7"

new to the GSA but the link above and the stabilizer and a set of 40mm touratech bar risers and i am getting closer

would like to throw a leg over a single piece touratech high seat and maybe a little more bar height

Z2488 VStream® Touring Deluxe Replacement Screen for BMW® R1200/1250 GS/GSA 1
    Z5220 ZTechnik® Windscreen Stabilizer Kit forBMW® R1200/1250 GS/GSA 1

Good Riding!
  12. m931a2

m931a2 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got a tall cover from Seat Concepts for my 14 GS for my 38” inseam. Much better than the stock seat. No more hot spots or tail bone pain.

I really like the look of the Touratech one and someone posted earlier that Corbin has one but as I have a plate to cover the passenger seat I can’t run them. I think the long seat would let you push your butt back some and would be great for knee bend. Unlike the Seat Concepts one where I had to assemble it can you could just order the Touratech and and take it for a ride and return it if you don’t like it?
  13. PurpleTiger

PurpleTiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am also 6’4” and have a 2016 GSA. The same setup with the X-Creen worked well for me. Huge improvement!
  14. Toomanysecrets

Toomanysecrets Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would you mind elaborating on the high/low configuration for your seat? Is this high in front, low in the back? I just went and tried this and it sure does feel different...in a good way. Seems to be a bit more plush in the tailbone area. Going to have to take a ride to feel it in action. I’m also 6’5” and I’m debating going with the BMW adjustable pegs to give me a bit more leg room. I feel just a little big squished on longer rides. A few other guys here swear by them and acknowledge that while they’re expensive, they’re definitely worth it. Thanks much!
  15. WyldCFH

WyldCFH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the seat in the high front/low rear config. Still kills the tailbone after a few hours

As far as being cramped in the legs and hips, I have the standard HP pegs installed and feel fine until about the 3 hour mark. And only then due to knee issues from racing dirt bikes as a youngster.
    Toomanysecrets likes this.
  16. Muskyjerk

Muskyjerk n00b

Oddometer:
    6'7"
    did the high front low back

still need a seat :(
  17. Milekone

Milekone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have both and the Amazon one seems to be made out of glass or really hard plastic. Idk how aggressive is your riding or what type of gear you wear, but I definitely wouldn't want to hit the Amazon one with my face.
  18. Toomanysecrets

Oddometer:
    Yeah I went out for a ride in the high front / low rear setting and it did not work for me. Felt fine in the garage, but once out on the road my lower back did not like it at all. So it’s back to high/high for me. Lower pegs are step one, but then I think a ride-in to Russell might be in order. I’m lucky enough to be less than 3 hours from him so I should take advantage of it before we have to move.
    WyldCFH likes this.
  19. WyldCFH

WyldCFH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I may look into another seat myself. I just can't get excited about the look of the Russell Day Long. Can decide between a Wunderlich, AirHawk IST, Corbin or another one I can't think of the name of atm...
  20. Toomanysecrets

Oddometer:
    I get what you’re saying about the look of them, but I figure I can’t see it when I’m riding anyway...neither can anybody else for that matter so why not be happy and comfortable? That, and many a member on here has gone the route of testing numerous other seats and ultimately ending up with a Russell. They wish they’d just saved themselves the time and gone with Russell from the start. As I’m fairly close, it seems the correct route for me.