1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Abnormally tall GSA riders how did you reduce buffeting and make your bike more tall guy friendly?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by lacofdfireman, Jun 2, 2019.

1. BigTony

BigTony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'3 but short legs and sit crazy tall apparently

I'm using a madstad with a custom extra tall 25"s from them and also screen stabilizer brackets.. works great. I used the method where you tape a yard stick to your existing screen and use it to see how much extra height you need to keep the screen just below eye level

It's pretty huge so looks might bother some...ymmv
    Also madstad couldn't get the custom sizing right and the screen tends to touch the handguard at full lock

The air is smooooth and quiet though
  2. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    6’5” with 36” inseam. So I’m tall from waist up. I have the Puig tall windshield on my 14 wcGSA. Not a lot of buffeting on my helmet. All the way up it is pretty smooth. All the way down lots of air, but not buffeting unless I’m going by a semi. I ride with a shoei hornet and a KLIM t1200 modular. Both are fine with the Puig. 40,000 miles on it.
  3. chris73

chris73 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    6'3". Loved the puig for wind. I was just looking over it and the buffet was just above my head. Hate the leg position for a tall rider. My 19 gs is getting a custom Corbin. Up and back risers. Lowered pegs. And highway pegs. Probably another puig touring screen.
    MizzouRider likes this.
  4. todcp

todcp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here in hot Florida summer I use a short Puig. Nice clean air and plenty of it. For leg room I have the BMW adjustable pegs in the lowest position and a tall version Seat Concepts seat in the tallest position. Added a bar riser since the seat raised me up 1.25 inches. Most comfortable bike position in my life and I have been riding for 52 years.
    6’4” tall with 34.5 inseam.
    MizzouRider and ckindt like this.
  5. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the shirt Puig would be great in the summer but in the winters out here in the west it would be pretty chilly.
  6. ckindt

ckindt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This set up sounds familiar. :nod
    I am equally comfortable on mine.
    20190917_171630.jpg
    mrb867 and todcp like this.
  7. chris73

chris73 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you find the seat concepts seat for comfort? I am strongly considering it. I haven't settled on a seat choice yet.
  8. ckindt

ckindt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I get along great with mine.
    I recently completed a 4000 mile trip in 6 days on the SC seat. 1000 miles on day 1 and over 900 on day 6. The rest of the miles spread out in between.

* I did use a bead rider for the whole trip; start to finish.
  9. todcp

todcp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is my third Seat Concepts seat. Great value. Longest ride so far has been 190 miles and zero discomfort. I am not a ten hours per day guy. If I was the RDL might have been worth the triple cost?
    Used SC seats on my Husqvarna Super Moto and my Yamaha Super Tenere. This GSA seat is the most comfortable. Just awesome that they have seat height options at no added charge. The customer service is very good as well. I wanted my seat in an optional covering that was not listed in the drop down choices and I handled it by phone. I bought the complete front seat and the rear cover (a local shop put the rear cover on for me for $20). My prior two SC seats I installed myself with a pneumatic upholstery stapler.
    Here are pics of the tall seat in high position on my bike.
    EdGY1NBESk+CvohlRGRFxg.jpg 6YlBBjfMTryjG+BxAGT2DA.jpg
    ckindt likes this.
  10. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the tall seat concepts seat. I like the height (have it on high position) but I’m not super impressed with the comfort. I had a sergeant seat on my 08, it was more comfortable. But seat concept is still way better than stock.
    Edit, I use a bead rider on mine also. I had a seat concept seat on my X Challenge for years and loved it.
  11. GymJim

GymJim n00b

Oddometer:
    I put a much bigger screen (Puig) on my R1250GS, and at 6' 4" my head (face mostly) is still getting turbulent air looking over the screen. Stock seat on the highest setting. Very annoying. I suspect that my hand grips, mirrors, and other points (not the screen) are channeling air into my face area. Has anyone experimented to track down other sources? A clean stream is not a problem, but I suspect these other sources get messed up along the way to my face.
  12. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    X-creen
  13. GymJim

GymJim n00b

Oddometer:
    X-creen was going to be my next step, thanks, but I feel directed air leaving mirrors and hand guards (not grips) moving into my face. My next step will be to remove them as a zero-cost experiment.
  14. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Someone else posted about replacing their mirrors with the dual sport mirrors that are adjustable with ram balls. Adjusted the mirrors so that they were very low/close to the handguards, which eliminated a surprising amount of turbulence.
    Edited to add: double take mirrors.
  15. GymJim

GymJim n00b

Oddometer:
    Interesting, good to know. Thanks.
  16. todcp

todcp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI for those of you with GS.....GS does not have the GSA side wind deflectors or the larger tank. Very different side wind results. My GS friends have looked at my side deflectors and saw they cannot be installed on the GS as the body work is different.
    Callisto224 likes this.
  17. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can install them on my 2009 1200GS. The frame under the plastics has support for their mounts.

Maybe BMW changed that with the CamHead? :dunno
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    It doesn't matter if you have supports or not. The Hexhead and Camhead both can use the GSA wind deflectors. I have mounted several sets on GSs. Not true of Wetheads though.

These are airflow ones, but they mount in the same place as the factory GS ones do.
    [​IMG]
    Callisto224 likes this.
  19. jolly green giant

jolly green giant biggles

Oddometer:
    6'7" with a 37" inseam, 2015 GSA, Seat Concepts tall seat set at H, PUIG tall windshield with Wunderlich spoiler, Touratech 40mm bar risers - best combination so far. Have not invested in adjustable pegs because I have a habit of scraping my feet with OEM pegs.
    FB_IMG_1571589355066.jpg
    MizzouRider, m931a2 and mrb867 like this.
  20. TTJosh

TTJosh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You might be my brother from another mother. We have the same measures. Good tips, nice to hear it.