Abnormally tall GSA riders how did you reduce buffeting and make your bike more tall guy friendly?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by lacofdfireman, Jun 2, 2019.

1. m931a2

m931a2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    put the balls of your duck feet on the peg and you will stop scraping your feet. I’m your size and that’s what I had to do. My feet are so big I can’t shift in a sharp turn or my feet will hit. :muutt
    todcp likes this.
  2. overlander

overlander Gravel Travel Tours Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had GSs ever since they were introduced and I currently have a bunch of different shields: hi and low; Tobinators; added Laminair and deflectors ad-nauseum to them and with out a doubt I have noticed an impressive and pleasant improvement over all others when I installed the CalSci unit on my 2002 GSA. Ain't going back! I'm 6'5" and love it! I don't believe it to be a particularly tall version either as I prefer to peer over the top of the screen while seated normally. Can't comment how they work on newer bikes like the water cooled versions much but I definitely will buy another one for my newer bikes! Also i have lowered pegs on all my bikes including TT low mounts, Pivot-pegs and Power-Pegs along with exended and repositioned shifters and custom raised seats by any number of manufacturers.
  3. GymJim

GymJim n00b

Oddometer:
    The x-creen on my original BMW stock windscreen solved the problem in the end. Thanks.
    zekester63 likes this.
  4. dave 6h

dave 6h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used the little flip screen like this, clean air, even better than the CalSci screen I got. A047629C-FE48-4BA7-A4B7-3F739816CE88.jpeg
    Andrew likes this.
  5. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    There are deflector screens on the sides? Can you show the view from rider's perspective?
  6. dave 6h

dave 6h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    C62467EB-DE32-430E-A876-C2698184F2CC.jpeg AF304010-A37F-4669-85E2-8C6768E1FEA0.jpeg Yep
  7. dave 6h

dave 6h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The side deflectors came from eBay.
    I made some from cardboard to see if they worked before buying.
  8. Jrney

Jrney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I put a plus 2" windshield from Z-Tecknik on both my '09 and my '12 R1200 GSA's. I'm 6'1", so not supertall, but along with the GSA side deflectors it really improved noise and buffeting. They make a plus 4" model for taller riders.
    I also put a plus 2" Z-Technik windshield on my 2019 R1250 GSA and although it drastically improved buffeting over the stock windshield, the 1250 takes a narrower windshield and a lot of air gets around the sides and hits me in the chest and belly. Wind noise is significantly higher with the wethead than the camhead.