About camping gear?!!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by tk1250gsa, Jun 13, 2019.

1. tk1250gsa

tk1250gsa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so I have few different camp gear set up from as previous jeep overlander. Sleeping pad I have for car camping is great comfort but too big for moto camp. So I used my backpacking sleeping pad which is very small and provide some of air cushion but it’s pretty uncomfortable. Not only lack of cushion but also it’s not cushioned evenly when I lay down. I can air down then my hip heat bottom. Feel always hurt day after. And I tried at my friend houe REI self inflated sleeping pad and it was amazing. Feel like slept at bed. But it packed size is 8x 27 which is not small. What kind of sleeping pad and how you pack on bike?
    I even looking exped mega mat 10 pad lol. Looks amazing. To me sleeping pad is the most important thing to keep riding next day
  2. phreakingeek

phreakingeek adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went through a couple versions of my sleep system before finally settling on what I use now. The Exped Synmat packs down to 6" diameter by 10" length. It's as comfortable as my mattress at home.

I agree that your pad/mattress is a critical piece of your gear and if you plan to do more than one day in a row, you should invest in the best you can get. If i have one bad nights sleep and it's a weekend ride, I can suffer through to get back home. If i'm on the bike for a couple weeks, I want to sleep well and not end up trying to ride tired and foggy.
    Kinsman and Davidprej like this.
  3. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

I agree a good night's sleep is key to riding the next day ! !

For me a good night's sleep requires a sleep system ... here's mine.

1 Sea to Summit Aero large inflatable pillow ... I sleep so much better with a good pillow ... this one packs small and light.

2) Sierra Design Backcountry Bed down sleeping bag .... this bag is AMAZING ! ! ! ... it has no zipper design. ... has a pad sleeve to hold bag and pad together ...really makes a huge difference.

3 thermo rest air neo model ...about 3 inches thick while small and light for packing ...I have no issues with ground contact when side sleeping.

Good luck

Scott
    Fosters and phreakingeek like this.
  4. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In summer I use an uninsulated Klymit - packs the size of a beer can - takes 10 breaths to inflate. In fall/spring an insulated pad that packs the size of 2 beer cans. The trick, I've found, is a good pillow arrangement, and something like a stuff bag of clothes to put either under your knees (if you sleep on your back), or between them (if you're sleeping on you side )- to avoid twisting the spine. Then as long as your hips aren't touching the ground, you're good to go.
  5. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even though weight and space should have dictated different gear selection, I am going to be hauling a twin Air mattress and a decent chair for my next trip(starting tomorrow). I have had to sleep in many many many uncomfortable ways in my life and I'm not doing it this trip! I will see if its worth the extra weight/space headache. Chair is the same. Why sit on the ground if I don't have to? Both are luxury items and I could get a nice sleeping pad and a 12 pack of beer instead of the air mattress and chair! I like the thought of being on the Dempster highway, finding a nice spot for lunch, breaking out the chair, and enjoy the views, quiet, and a hot lunch from a comfy chair!
    MYUMPH likes this.
  7. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    exped mega 10 is amazing check it out. little pricy.
  8. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    ha ha ha i'm rocking a 10 dollar intex from Walmart! So if it ends up in a trashcan on the Dempster my wallet won't be mad! the chair is a 55 dollar amazon buy from china. I hate Chinese crap, but it seems even if I choose to buy a U.S. brand its freakin made in china! So I just cut out the middle man!
  9. Emmett

Emmett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's a good night's sleep worth to you?

This fits in my Mosko Moto 25L Scout duffel. Great when the temps are hot, as air circulates underneath. When it's cold I lay a space blanket under my sleeping bag and fold the space blanket back over me after I get in the sleeping bag.

I also sleep on my side on this; 5'8" 175lbs.

If you're larger than me, get a larger Helinox cot, they make several models.

https://www.rei.com/product/158009/...MIi6z1-5Tn4gIVD9bACh0F5gJ7EAQYASABEgI7NPD_BwE
  10. Donttrustdolphins

Donttrustdolphins Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sleep like a rock in a hammock, but I have found that a backpacking pad, bag, hammock and fly take up almost as much space as a small tent.
  11. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    yea i saw before is it more comfort than air mattress?
  12. Emmett

Emmett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Way more comfortable. I will never sleep on an air mattress, or solid foam mattress again.
  13. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    I probably just get sleeping mat to add some cushion. my ait mattress is ok just need some support. too much to buy brand new $200 good one.
  14. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exped and others make a number of pads that pack a lot smaller than the Mega.
    I have the prior version of the Exped Synmat Mega,it packs to easily a quarter size of the Mega.
    The Mega packs big because of the foam core.
    I have both.

JR356
  15. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    I was in REI yesterday and saw the EXPED, I wanted one until I saw the price. So I upgraded my 27 year old coleman propane single burner to an MSR whisperlite international instead. I'm already carrying extra fuel for the bike, why carry propane??? I know that the unleaded gas isn't the most desireable to use, but I don't have to worry about finding or carrying propane, butane or white gas just for cooking.
  16. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    I have a fer Klymits, that I love . Insulated, Non, and an ultralight that goes inside my sleeping bag for backpacking (It's tiny). But I often bring along a twin size airmat (the Walmart kind ) If I am staying in the same camp for a few days because I like to be off the ground and I like the trough it leaves on the sides for my gear to stay put when I sleep.
    Though they are heavy they fold nicely and travel well out side of my panders on the back of my seat under my tent. Keeps the extra weight ahead of my rear axil so I really don't notice the extra.
    So I would not rule them out just because they are not paneer friendly.
  17. Nytebreed

Nytebreed Need more braaap

Oddometer:
    I love my Nemo Cosmo mattress. Packs small enough, and if I have extra space the memory foam topper makes it nicer than my bed.
    TOC and Jim K. like this.
  18. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    Just got Helimox cot with square shape down sleeping bag and air pillow. Can’t get any better than that. I know there are many good light comfortable sleeping air mattress but i don’t think anything can’t beat this in terms of easy to set up and actually raised from ground. It is as comfortable as my bed.
    Emmett likes this.
  19. Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Klymit insulated V Luxe since I am a side sleeper. Thermo Rest fleece liner when colder with a small down sleeping bag or I use it by itself if warmer. I also use a Thermorest Silk liner with the down sleeping bag. Trekology pillow works better than the Klymit "X" pillow for me since I sleep on my side. I also cover the pillow with a "T" shirt to add comfort.
  20. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Nemo pillow, but the rest of my setup is exactly the same, and I share your high opinion.