About camping gear?!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by tk1250gsa, Jun 13, 2019.

1. tk1250gsa

tk1250gsa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got sea to summit air pillow and I was like
    Even want to throw away my previous synthetic pillow. It’s tiny tiny but comfort.
  2. The.Cheese

The.Cheese Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got the Nemo Cosmo insulated pad, Mezzo Loft luxury sleeping bag, Cosmo Pillowtop memory foam topper, and Fillo memory foam pillow. I've cut down and sewn up a normal pillow to camping size. The whole set-up fits into a 30L Sealline dry bag. The bag lays across where the back seat was and keeps it all dry in the harshest of rain. I can set up my tent then take this bag inside to unload insuring the sleeping stuff stays dry. I sleep almost as good camping as I do at home. Which, for me, is extremely high praise.
    Jim K. likes this.
  3. Nytebreed

Nytebreed Need more braaap

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I have pretty much the same setup save I use the Nocturne bag (side sleeper). That stuff was worth every penny, and you can usually save a bit, if you don't care about getting the previous year's colors.
  4. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exped synmat 7. 10 happy years.
  5. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Used my Thermarest ProLite 4 for many years backpacking. It was a bit large packed on the bike and my bones are getting older and appreciate more padding.

Bought a Klymit ISV and have been using it MC camping and backpacking for 4+ years now. Plenty thick, I don't roll off of it, it is quiet (doesn't sound like I'm sleeping on a potato chip bag), it packs small, but it isn't self-inflating. Then again, my self-inflating Thermarest wasn't actually self-inflating, unless I was willing to wait a couple of days.

There are pads that are a bit smaller, a bit lighter, and have a bit higher R-value than the Klymit ISV, but they are lots more expensive and all the ones I've tried were too noisy to sleep on.
  6. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Klymit makes a pad that serves well for much less-they obviously knew the market was there for a less expensive but quality pad. R-values won't matter much for MC campers unless you ride in the heart of winter. A small tent tarp will suffice underneath it all as moisture is the real concern?
    I don't have the money for the high end pads or tents. My Kelty 2 man cost ~ $40 new and has a LT warranty.
    gmk999 likes this.
  7. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I have these 2 pices of kit as well.

The pad packs beer can size, the pillow like a sleeve of golf balls.

8. grogger123

grogger123 fatbastard

Oddometer:
    I totally agree. I have been using this model for about that long too. They are comfortable, well made, quiet to sleep on and keep you well insulated from the cold ground. They pack down reasonably small and aren’t too heavy. I also have the Exped Megamat 10 and it is very comfortable but quite bulky. For motorcycle camping I prefer the Synmat 7. If you are riding a large road touring bike and sticking to the bitumen, the Megamat’s bulk may be less of an issue. I ride a 660 Tenere and it wouldn’t suit the riding l do.
  9. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pillow: I used to carry a small, fiber-filled camping pillow, but it didn't pack down well. Bought one of these from Cocoon several years ago and it is just incredible.
    [​IMG]
    One side is a very soft, comfortable microfiber. The cover comes off and is washable. And packed it is about the size of a pill bottle.
    jamesmc and Bad Dad like this.
  10. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, both are plenty comfortable, too. I camp a lot two up with my wife, so I tend to do as much space saving as possible.
  11. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I camp 2up with either of my kids.

We take fishing gear, 2 camp chairs, etc, so small packed size gear is a must.

DCrider likes this.
  12. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    +1 on the klymat. I have 3 that get tons of use, StaticV insulated , and an O-zone) . The valve on on the StataicV I bought early 2016 started having trouble. I contacted Klymit and is being repaired under warranty . It has seen at least 50 uses in the field and another 50 as a beach/ car/ sleepover mat.

That said, if you are using an air mat , get one of these.https://www.amazon.com/GIGA-Pump-In...rds=giga+pump&qid=1561233983&s=gateway&sr=8-1. A great piece of kit with many uses at camp Boot dryer, fire bellows...) it has tons of power, holds a charge for days , and is palm sized small
    shrederscott and Hebcon like this.
  14. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought the sheet for the lux Just got it haven’t used it yet
  15. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took an old sheet and made a slip cover for air mat. Made a huge difference not having the cold plastic to sleep on.
  16. WindBlast

WindBlast without music life would Bb

Oddometer:
    +1 Exped Megamat 10 LW. Worth the extra bulk.

I also have the Exped Downmat 9 LW as well for packing lighter.
  17. The Cone of Silence

The Cone of Silence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exped Downmat 9. I used to have the 7 but I'm a side sleeper and my hip and shoulder would get sore enough to wake me up in the night. I don't have that problem with the 9.

Question for cot users - if you have a cot, do you also use a sleeping mat? Are cots really just for people who sleep on their back or are they also useful for those who sleep on their side?
  18. WindBlast

WindBlast without music life would Bb

Oddometer:
    If you camp in the cold with a cot the air will get under you and make you cold. A mat with insulation solves this issue.
  19. Tor

Tor Imported Norwegian

Oddometer:
    Exped Downmat XP 9 LW. Used it for years. Expedition grade mat with an R value of 8. You'll never feel any cold coming up through this mat. Have had it in some gnarly weather and temps. Never let me down.

I have to add that that Exped's service is one of the best I have ever encountered in my many years of moto camping. They simply go way above and beyond when it comes to warranty issues, extremely fast turn-around and shipping.
    Excellent service is not dead yet. Some gear companies still know how it's done.
  20. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Just read a review of the Nemo Roamer self-inflatable air pad. 4" makes it somewhat large for moto camping, but maybe not if you are also planning on taking a cot. Long Wide size is 76"x25" and the XL Wide is 80"x30". Also has a novel way of tying two pads together (the system is also used when packing the pad up).
    https://expeditionportal.com/reviewed-nemo-roamer-sleeping-pad/