1. eNewsletter Sign Up

About to pull the trigger on the New Garmin 78

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Teaksmith, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure, but elaborate on what?
  2. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    A hiccup is something unexpected happening that I can't remember exactly what it was :D Getting old.

Yes the switch to display/hide a track is there, for some reason it didn't work on one of my tracks. The tracks work pretty much exactly like they do on the 76. You can hide, display and change colors on any track. The big difference is you now can do it with 200 tracks.

Jim in Sacramento
  3. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am with you on #1.

#2 is really strange. After thinking about it, is it possible that "hide track" is actually setting it to "Transparent"? Perhaps color setting firmware had a bug.

Keep up the reports. It is obvious the 62 is useless without 12V power input. You scared me with no ability to turn off a track. I will chalk it up to operator error of old guy until you have better explanition.
  4. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 62 can be externally powered via USB and there are tons of adapters for 12V and 120V available both from Garmin and the aftermarket. I think the concern has been that the USB connector is not as robust as the old-style 4-pin, although personally, this wouldn't bother me.

- Mark
  5. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    It bothers me. The USB power plug is a very weak link on the Colorado, Oregon and now the 62. I don't believe they are water proof and they appear to be of very fragile construction. I was afraid the slightest hit on the connection would break the plug. The connection was designed for transferring data to a computer not powering the unit in a harsh environment.

I don't understand why Garmin would leave the 4 prong serial power plug off the 62 when it is available on the 78. The 4 prong plug is a 12 volt connection which means it can be directly wired to your battery without the step down circuitry required by the USB connections. It is the one reason that I purchased the 78. I think this is just another bad decision by Garmin. I'm sure they left it off to save money and keep the price down. Garmin believes the biggest market for the 62 is hikers/geocachers who don’t use external power other than in their cars on the way to a hike. This should make it a no brainer for off roaders picking the 78 over the 62. I guess we should be happy they gave us the plug on the 78. As least we now have one GPS that is a capable replacement for the 60/76 series models.

Jim in Sacramento
  6. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Jerry,

Apologies if I was a bit ambiguous there, I was trying to work out what you were saying.......:D It seems to me that the 78 series is looking better all the time though, but I want to be sure, otherwise I'll just get a 76 cx/csx.

Ta,

Adrian
  7. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the reasons is space and they want to wean off the 4-prong because it uses so much of it. It's like a DB9 serial port plug on a PC - eventually you have to move on and not continue to support every connector that has ever been used on a device. Powering through USB lets that much-smaller plug do double-duty. It also gets away from a proprietary plug that is Garmin-specific to a general-purpose one that is widely supported by third-party accessory mfgs.

I reasonable tradeoff in my view. Since they continued using it on the 78, users have options if this bothers them.

- Mark
  8. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    All that is true, mini USB is designed for quick data transfer from camera etc and then disconnect. It has no strain relief or positive locking, bottom line it is not designed for that application period.

Additionally the last thing I want is a voltage regulator flopping around in the middle of a cable. Then if the cheap ass 3rd party regulator fails shorted, it will fry your expensive GPS with no warrantee protection like if the exact same regulator inside the 78 fails.
  9. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another factor may be that the 62 being intended as a portable trail unit need only connect to a PC/Laptop but the 78 being a marine unit may be expected to communicate with other electronics via a serial NMEA connection.

Bruce
  10. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    That's what I was thinking - plus it's more likely to be powered by 12v from a boat.
  11. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    After thinking about it, that was my conclusion as well. As I stated earlier regardless of the reason I'm just happy they have produced an updated version of the 76. I believe we now have a true modern dual sport GPS from Garmin, it has been long overdue. Now if they would just produce a 379 to replace the 376 we would all be happy.

Jim in Sacramento
  12. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 that is it!

How did we dirt mororcycle riders get so lucky?
  13. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be a Zumo with firmware we actually want!
  14. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are probably right on that. The Zumo is so close.

Jim in Sacramento