ABS-II Repaired

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by tjt94, Apr 19, 2012.

1. tjt94

tjt94 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am really excited that I was able to get my ABS-II unit fixed. I have posted here several times that last couple of years looking for a solution to an intermittent abs failure issue I have had on my '01 R1150GS. It seemed to be very ambient temperature related since the unit would pass the roll off test if the temp was below 80 degrees. Anything above, which is all year here, then the roll off test would trip the unit. A GS-911 confirmed that it was the pump failure code so BMW quoted me a new pump at $2100 plus installation.

Since last fall I have been in conversations with Module Master in Moscow, Idaho about rebuilding the unit. They were pretty sure they could and had been working on a couple of motorcycle units. More recent conversations with them confirmed that they were having a lot of success with the units and have them down. I pulled my unit and mailed it up to them. They found that there were some soldier issues on the circuit board. They rebuilt the pump and bench tested it thoroughly and have put it in the mail back to me. Here is the best part, the cost; $250 plus $30 shipping. It comes back to me with a five year warranty as well! So, I could have paid $2500 for a new unit with a 1 year warranty but paid $280 for my unit with a 5 year warranty. I will be able to use the $2200 saved for a trip to Chiapas in June. Anybody want to go along?
  2. SJSharkfan

SJSharkfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to know,, nice work!
  3. Terry

Terry Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great news! I know a lot of people have been (and will be) looking for someone that can rebuild the ABS units.
  4. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about an UPDATE in say 3 and 6 months from now?
  5. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    and contact info for a post the FAQ?
  6. bighopper

bighopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. tjt94

Oddometer:
    I will definitely provide an update. I live in a very harsh climate (temps in the upper 110's to low 120's in the summer) and I suspect that was the problem with the solder joints on the circuit board. If it does well here for the next 5 years, then it will work for all of you elsewhere. It was 100 degree here today already.

I hope it does work as well as the claim. I have told Tyler at Module Master to expect a lot of inquiries from this board.
  8. flightestman

flightestman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What the years did that bike sell for BMW. It really not that old. What was the very first year R1200GS 2005?
  9. tjt94

Oddometer:

Search will be your friend. I know that there was ABS back on the 1100's but not sure what year it started. It doesn't matter since I have an '01 and it is usually very reliable. Probably more so then the servo style. Regardless, mine is fixed and will be reinstalled in within an hour of receiving it.
  10. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link, I always save those you never know one day. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Also can someone educated me on ABS/have a link on ABS I could read... <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    There's the servo ABS I'm thinking that's first one, is that the same as ABS 1? Than ABS 2, and what is it call now on the new bikes? I did a search for it but I couldn&#8217;t find anything, thanks<o:p></o:p>
  11. PETDOC

PETDOC Long timer

Oddometer:
    The servo ABS is the ABS on bikes with servo brakes and is aka the iABS. Actually it is the 3rd iteration of the 1150 ABS's. First iABS appeared on 2003 GS. I believe the iABS on 1150 GS's ended in 2004 with the GS and 2005 with the GS Adventure. Not sure but it may have been used on the 2006 1200 GS, but not after that.
    That is fantastic news that Module Master is now doing BMW motorcycle ABS units. I had visited their web site several years ago and despite seeing a post from an Australian BMW motorcycle owner in their testimonials, they stated they did not work on MC ABS units.
    I have routinely changed my brake fluid yearly hoping to never see the dreaded flashing warning lights. 48,000 miles, so far so good, but now I know I have a viable option to tearing it out or purchasing a new one.
  12. tjt94

Oddometer:
    I finally had the time to reinstall my ABS pump and all is good. The ambient temperature was in the mid-90's today and the roll-off test worked just as it is supposed to. That is the first time in over a year that it has operated in warmer temperatures. I have tested the unit by forcing the pump to run with attempted lock-ups and it works great! I know this is way too soon to celebrate too much, I am very happy I did not drop $2200 for a new unit when I only had to spend $250 for a rebuild on mine and I got a 5 year warranty.
  13. mcstark

mcstark Living brappy... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent news! Thank you for doing the leg work for us. I have a 2003 and will bookmark their site for future reference. 1/10 the cost is a bargain.

Thanks again...ride safe!
  14. siraxanz

siraxanz zoom zoom

Oddometer:
  15. AntoD

AntoD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great news,

I was trying to fix a servo ABS unit for a friend last month....bummer...wasted a week....

I 've fixed anotherone in the past but it was the standard no-servo.

Please update with it's behaviour in a couple of months.

Thanx TJT

:clap
  16. saitman

saitman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    fantasatic news!!!
  17. saitman

saitman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ok if its electronic thing but if its the leak from the pump.they will fix also?
  18. tjt94

Oddometer:
    Yes, to the best of my knowledge. The electronic repairs were the elusive repairs for them and that has evidently been corrected. All good still and it is getting warmer (mid-90's or 35C). The real test is yet to come but it used to work fine in the hot weather so I assume it will again work fine in its repair state.
  19. Highbeam

Highbeam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sent them my servo unit, '04 GSA, and they gave it a good try but no luck. If they don't fix it they don't charge so I was just out the shipping each way. Ended up buying a new unit for about $2200. Works fine now.

There aren't many places that will try to fix them any with the price of a new unit it is worth a try.

Module Masters are good people to work with, even though my attempt wasn't successful.

Wayne :1drink
  20. stan23

stan23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Module Master is the real deal. They do a lot of Audi ABS pumps. They are notorious for failure.