Ac separation

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Jeffy-b, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Jeffy-b

Jeffy-b n00b

Oddometer:
    I had a dirt bike accident 2 days ago and came out of it with a ac separation. Since this is a pretty common moto injury; I was hoping I could get some insight on the severity and what grade of separation this is. FE66F62F-6DE7-43F9-B65C-91370A8A303D.jpeg
  2. Rackemcrackem

Rackemcrackem Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer:
    Looks painful!

Most likely a Grade 3 AC joint separation, based on seeing only one x-ray view. Is your shoulder immobilized in a good sling?
    If so, good.
    Have you consulted with a health care provider (after an initial ER exam or x-ray facility) as to when you can remove the sling and begin PT?
  3. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shouldn't have that been a question for your doc? No offense but asking on a moto forum isn't really the place to ask. Go ask your doc and get specific treatment advice from them
    Steve G. likes this.
  4. Jeffy-b

Jeffy-b n00b

Oddometer:
    I went to the ER within a hour of my accident and was given a sling. I have no health insurance and with the cost of the ER visit plus taking off work I’m scared I will be hurting for cash in the near future. So that is why I’m trying to get a idea of how bad it is. To see if it justifies spending more money for a follow up visit. Thank you for your responses; From what I’ve seen online I believe it is a grade 3 as well. Thanks again
  5. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine is a 3 and looks about like that;thankfully,it doesn't affect my life at all.
    However, it took me 3 crashes to get there,looks like you did it all in one go. :deal

Nothing will be done for treatment other than immobilizing your shoulder; if you are already doing so, probably good to go unless you have numbness or loss of function in your arm/hand.

It will be sore as a bitch at first,then fade away. You might want to look up some PT exercises for 6 -8 weeks down the road.

IIRC, surgery is recommended at grade 5; a buddy of mine went directly to grade 5 after botching the landing of epic air on California St in SFO, he never had the surgery and does just fine...
  6. Jeffy-b

Jeffy-b n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for you reply ozmoses. I’ve been keeping it stationary while I sleep. Icing it religiously and rubbing veterinary lineament along with a product called DMSO; both I obtained from tractor supply lol. I have really seen great improvement in a short amount of time. I’ve got road armor coming in the mail and will not be caught on my bike without it.
    ozmoses likes this.
  7. RuffStuff

RuffStuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ripped mine out going over a car, I broke the joint edge so it eventually went back in but destroyed some nerves so my body thinks it's been amputated and fires permanent pain signals which has also affected my spinal cord, so if you get pain make sure you get it seen asap
  8. Jeffy-b

Jeffy-b n00b

Oddometer:
    Dang man I’m sorry to here that. My grandma had her leg amputated, but she gets pain signals to it called phantom pains. I know those faux pain signals are a real bitch. I really hope they find a cure for that.
  9. Tha Rick

Tha Rick Shake and bake!

Oddometer:

Yep .pretty much the same story. You'll learn to sleep on your other side now as it will be sore in the morning if you sleep on that side.
  10. Tha Rick

Tha Rick Shake and bake!

Oddometer:
    Mine I also separated it a bit from the sternum, doc said to be careful as it could break off and go through the heart.

That would ruin my day.
  11. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    3rd degree here. Motorcycle lawn dart. Didn't fix it. Other than the bump it's no big deal. Life goes on.
  12. RCEMT-P

RCEMT-P Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's a 3. Believe it or not, less painful than a 2. Itll heal in 6 month. A year from now you wont know it's there. I had a 5 repaired. Shouldn't have even had it fixed. So I've got a corrected 5 left and a 3 right. Life goes on is about right
  13. Jeffy-b

Jeffy-b n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replys everyone. Hearing that this won’t torture me for the rest of my life is just the reassurance I was looking for when I made this post.
    fasttortoise and ozmoses like this.
  14. sphyrnidus

sphyrnidus born to ride

Oddometer:
    Both sides here, one from bike riding, fell in a group ride, being to close to the Guy in front of me. I had to pedal home 35km after that. It healed spontanously in three months. No problems there.
    The right side was tumbling of the Hard Knott Pass in the UK in the pouring rain. Rider error, don’t look at where your wife is riding when entering a switchback. Anyway tumbled of backwards and landed on my right shoulder. I felt it crunching and knew from the last time what had happened. Being a M.D. married to a nurse we never visited another dr at the time. This happened in July and it healed well, rode the bike another 3000 km before going home. In Octobre it started hurting like hell. Couln’t lift a spoon to my mouth, or put the car in gear. The orthopaedics at my hospital said I had a frozen shoulder. It subsided gradually, but in December it was still no fun. We had planned a ski holiday and we went anyway, I thought I’d end up sitting it out. But to my surprise after a day of skiing the pain was almost gone. So immobilizing it doesn’t really help.
    Now some years later, it’s one of the joints I know it’s there, but not really hurting though.
  15. Jeffy-b

Jeffy-b n00b

Oddometer:
    I think you’re right sphyrnidus; I’m 8 days in to my injury. After using some resistance bands for for the past two days; my shoulder is a only slightly sore. I also have full range of motion and have been twisting pipe wrenches for two days. I really would like to get surgery to get rid of this hideous lump on my shoulder. I look rediculous with just a t-shirt on. I’m crossing my fingers that the swelling is still in effect; making in larger than it will permanently be.
  16. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had one like this many years ago. Rugby injury. The bump eventually resided after about 10 years. That was with good orthopedic care at the beginning and wearing a brace sling for about six weeks to hold it in place. It did eventually heal completely.
    Jeffy-b likes this.
  17. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    It won't go away

My original doctors said strengthen it and don't worry. Lump and lose shoulder for 15 years. Ached all the time.

Then found a doctor to fix it. Dr Mark Sanders in Gainesville, TX.

Give him a call. He WILL talk to you, not just schedule an appointment. He gets in there and fixes properly.
  18. RCEMT-P

RCEMT-P Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dr. Mark sanders fixed mine too. Ya, wasnt a huge deal. No surgery is a cake walk. Honestly, my right was about like that. It's better than the repaired one. I struggle with the repaired one lifting weights at times.
  19. RCEMT-P

RCEMT-P Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine was so bad I walked crooked because the shoulder was hanging so low. Pictures are funny to look at. The lump, no big deal.
  20. Euromad

Euromad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is a 3 also. After 15 years I still have a bump and some pain. I believe some of the pain was from a torn rotator cuff. I finished tearing it racing last summer so...they fixed the and left the clavicle alone. Dr's comment was "What's the point? You're old, just deal with it."
    Good luck, sounds like you're well on your way. Chicks dig scars and bumps.