Accessories for 1250GS/GSA

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by igi2003, Mar 12, 2019.

1. 18415

18415 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is anyone removing the rubber bumper on the OEM bars to fit MAM guards and/or reinforcement bars?
    Ocho NA likes this.
  2. Motorman

Motorman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This thread is great. Just what I need since I will be picking up my brand new 2019 GSA HP in about 2 weeks.
    Thank you.
    timojhen likes this.
  3. DIRTLER

DIRTLER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is a picture with the rubber bumper mounted. 5-Right-3_4-w-crashbar-1.jpg
    18415 likes this.
  4. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As I mentioned, it looks like that’s the only way to mount them with my bent bars. Any idea how to remove?
    18415 likes this.
  5. svtride

svtride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    No need. #450
    18415 likes this.
  6. STLR

STLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You definitely have to remove the lower bars due to the physical size of these. I tried simply loosening them but that was still a NO GO. Even so, this is a quick job as these are easier to install than the R1200 version due to the way they mount. The R1250 variant is much improved in my opinion as it no longer relies on the long valve cover bolt.
    side-burn likes this.
  7. STLR

STLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    May be a silly question, but have you tried to man handle the bars in order to get them back into a semi-normal shape? I've bent bars and was able (with the aid of friends and/or persuasive tools) to get them lined back out.
  8. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have but I guess it’s not perfect yet. Thinking about it, anyone able to get the install with any kind of reinforcement bar?
  9. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool. Will report back today as they just came in and I’ll install this afternoon
    Fosters and STLR like this.
  10. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Installed the BMW brand valve cover protectors. Install was pretty simple and all stainless hardware is included. I just took off 3 bolts from the crash bars and loosened the 4th. Rotated the bars slightly down and away. After that, install was 5 minutes tops. The engine block actually has pre-drilled holes specifically for these guards, so there were zero fitment issues. They are made very well and have soft (squishy) polymer insulation that separates the guards from the valve covers. Road nearly 140 miles, 35 of which were off road on a fire road. Can't report back if they work since I didn't lay it down, but I suspect for how I ride THIS bike these will be more than sufficient. The technician said he saw one recently with a huge dent from a rock that also bent the bars inward and the valve cover was intact. They aren't as burly as the MAM covers, but I really like the look of stainless and as a bonus they won't fade over time from the sun. For 235 bucks I feel they are well worth the investment and look spectacular.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. _Gir_

_Gir_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They’re stainless steel?
  12. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    They look like it but could be aluminum. They are super stiff and when I tried to scratch the inside of the cover it barely made a mark.
  13. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    From the air intake aluminum covers to crash bars to skid plate to head guards, it's definitely a cohesive BMW metal treatment the way they polish then make it all a shiny rough finish. It looks nice all put together like that. They just need to do the same treatment to their box racks.
    gadgettr1 and side-burn like this.
  14. 18415

18415 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That frame looks really good with the black frame guards removed. It’s a shame they block so much of the painted frame.
    side-burn likes this.
  15. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's why I removed mine. It really looks nice without them. I used the Rizoma insert and that's about the only thing my boot touches anyway.
    gadgettr1 likes this.
  16. judgedelta

judgedelta Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I noticed that my 1250 did not come with a sidestand switch cover. It appears that the covers from prior years will fit and that the price varies from about $50 to a Chinesium (Amazon) model for $11. Anyone using a cover? and any reason not to use one? Thanks, JD
  17. STLR

STLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, the factory doesn't supply them and the switch is easy to hit while riding off road. I have put covers on all of mine, and am currently using the Touratech (and have used others). There is slight variance in mounting between them. There is zero reason not to use one as they are light, unobtrusive, and necessary.

I'll add that the GuardConcept I purchased from Wunderlich was the nicest one I've used. It's built a little nicer and mounts a little better. More importantly, it gave me the warm and fuzzies.
  18. STLR

STLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PSA: MAM covers still work.

I had swapped to Pirelli Scorpion Trails from TKC80s for an upcoming road trip and was practicing brake slide turns in the yard. Oddly enough, the Pirellis don't grip as well. :hmmmmm
    IMG_5975.jpeg

I'm definitely sold on them. Here's a a pic (also listed elsewhere) from a previous highside on my R1200GS without lower bars.
    IMG_3595.jpg
  19. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    I want these covers, where did you order them?

I had similar ones on my 2016 (still for sale BTW in the flea market).

TR
  20. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Directly from my local dealer. They are part of the newer catalog of parts for the 1250. I would imagine Sierra BMW and others can get them too.
    tentative_rider likes this.