1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Accessories for 1250GS/GSA

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by igi2003, Mar 12, 2019.

1. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Please come back and let us know how it works for you.
  2. Limbow

Limbow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone install a Skene P3 with decelerometer on a GSA? If so, where did you put the controller? Does it work well on the 1250?
  3. Magus

Magus Never grew up... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would love if someone can explain the benefits of this over a 2019+ GSA stock set-up with a Nav VI. Agree that this seems a cool upgrade making use of Android/IOS but I'm not clear on if it's mainly aimed at older, non-TFT equipped bikes...:hmmmmm
  4. idea man

Oddometer:
    Cost comes to mind. Those navi are very expensive and I have to carry the phone anyway. Others may have other ideas.
  5. Magus

Oddometer:
    Lets assume you already have one of those expensive Nav VI units...
  6. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    I don't think it is... It's more of a replacement for Navi, showing all of the bike info Navi (on non-TFT bike) does w added benefit of showing the tacho/speedo as TFT screen does - all that on top of analog tacho/speedo...
  7. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or 2
    CrustyAPO and Magus like this.
  8. idea man

Oddometer:
    Then Idea Wife is probably already mad at me so I may as well buy what I want. Yeah, back to the original question: There are some cool features in the app that comes with the device. I haven't used mine enough yet to know what the hell I'm doing. I just wanted to figure out something to put up in that wasted space where the navi goes since I know I will never (get to) have one (or 2).
  9. 2N2OUT

2N2OUT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really wish Wunderlinq would figure out how to offer a wireless charger. The device uses bluetooth, so there is no need for that cable.
  10. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    ^^ When (or if) they do offer it, the revised unit most likely will cost as much as Navi so won't be saving much pesos going that route vs. Navi...

But then, there's nothing wrong w Butler maps in the tank bag under the yellow vinyl so there's that option too. :-)

High tech bike w yesterday tech maps... :D
  11. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well from where I stand I don’t see BMW supporting the NAV cradle from here on out with the new TFT that is coming. Will they allow the info manufacturers need to make a GPS compatible with the cradle? Will it be worth a manufacturers time to make a device compatible with the cradle? The WunderlinQ is about the best option going forward for all the bikes with gps prep/cradles. You don’t need a dedicated display unit with the proper backplane to interface with it as any phone will work.
    Magus and AdamChandler like this.
  12. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    The R1250RT is the future clearly. BMW's profit comes from streamlining something and then putting it everywhere. Spread that R&D across 8 different bikes as soon as possible. I feel like 2022 will be the real mid-cycle R1250GS/A refresh with 10" TFT and the NAV platform is done then the F750/F850 and K1600 a year after. The heritage bikes will probably never get it (R12 - R18) nor will the G310 or S1000RR but I could be wrong on the sport bikes.

Like many other bike owners, many of us can just buy a Garmin / TomTom and mount it to our bikes via other methods. Less refined but it'll work. Luckily, I don't have to worry about this transition until I buy a new BMW which won't be for a while.
  13. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    If BMW continues to follow same platform life expectancy w LC, as they did w Hex/Camheads, '22 should be first year for R13GS although Covid may push that for half-a-year to a year back... :hmmmmm

W R1250RT getting launched as '21 MY, there'll be some beta testing by the "early-end-user-adopters" so when R13GS hits the pavement, some if not majority of the instrument panel/TFT/Nav/etc bugs should've been resolved already or so one would've hoped...

Time will tell how good our "crystal ball" predictions were accurate... :-)
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. Magus

Oddometer:
    Agree on the direction of the integrated GPS design, as on the new rt, but as Adam mentioned, if you have a GS, say, that is newish, and you have the Nav vi already, then you are not seeing a lot of gain with the wunderlinq... Or that's what it seems.
  15. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree, but when the NAV V’s and VI’s age out your going to be SOL with an empty Nav cradle. The WunderlinQ is the best option going forward. Personally I don’t like the split screen function that comes with the new RT TFT/GPS combo unless you can go to a full GPS screen or full TFT as an option. I like a dedicated unit so I am not fumbling with buttons or scroll wheels, flopping between displays or looking at a postage stamp sized image of the next interchange that is rapidly approaching. I am getting older and the TFT was a big help with aging eyes. But now they want a slightly larger screens doing double duty as a dashboard and GPS. I don’t think it is going to be that much of a step up, hopefully I am wrong. The TFT was flashy when it came out, but functionality has been underwhelming going by the posts I have read. Hopefully they listened and learned.
    Magus likes this.
  16. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Installed this wireless charger/phone mount today. Also has an on/off switch to ensure there’s no parasitic draw. It’s slightly larger than the RAM X mount, so it accommodates my phone with its fat cover.

45F41581-F297-4AAE-B50B-71C4D75A40B7.jpeg
    Magus likes this.
  18. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Each time I buy a new bike it's supposed to be the last one, but I'm a sucker for gadgets and Ill probably buy a R 13 if health and age does not put any obstacles in my way.
    While they're at it they should get BLIS in it as well, their Austrian brethren will have it/ has it
    Magus and Dan Diego like this.
  19. MIKE STH

MIKE STH '19 R1250 GSA HP2 Let's Rock

Oddometer:
    Called and asked same - they told me that the wireless QI charger didn't charge as quick - I stopped pursuit there. The Ram QI charger could provide the wireless charging and the Wunderlinq could provide the transmission and app source as a work around
  20. idea man

Oddometer:
    Luggage rack:
    Are we stuck with Altrider and Touratech? I just want something to go on the luggage rack (if you want to call it that) on my stock, non-rallye/HP seat 1250GSA. Bolt on. Not remove subframe and buy adaptive parts to get something I don't want.
    And I don't want to have to arrange for financing. Those two I mentioned are SUPER proud of their products. Any thoughts?
    AdamChandler likes this.