Accessories for 1250GS/GSA

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by igi2003, Mar 12, 2019.

1. RVJM

RVJM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will be replacing my r1200 LC for a r1250 gsa soon and planning to transfer all mods as far as possible.
    So far it seems most will fit except MAM covers. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the location and/or diameter on the 5 sump mount points has changed and my existing skid plate might not fit. Can anyone confirm this ? Has anyone tried transferring a 1200 skid plate to the 1250 ?

Thank you in advance for any input.
  2. 18415

18415 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know they’re redesigning the lower bars and the mounting points on the bottom are different. If you email Altrider, they get back to you real fast.
  3. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that seat really all that much lower than the stock seat in the low position? Thinking about ordering one...

4. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    According to the website, it's the same as the stock OEM seat height.

From their site:
    Not one, but two choices.

The World Sport Adventure Touring front rider's seat for the R1200GS is available in two seat heights:

The Regular Version, which is comparable to the OEM high seat, and the Low Version, for improved reach to the ground.

REGULAR LOW
    STOCK OEM 33.5" - 34.3" 32.3" - 33.1"
    SARGENT 33.5" - 34.3" 32.3" - 33.1"

The Front Seat is also compatible with the BMW Pillion Luggage Rack and the Sargent EM-5 Front Rider's Backrest. The Passenger Seat is the same for either set-up.
  5. scottydawg

scottydawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can someone give me a input on the advantage of the Machine Art Moto hand-guards. They look nice but I wasn't sure what the value is over the stock guards.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  6. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hate the way the look although they *appear* to offer more protection for the hand over stock. Maybe it makes a difference if you're doing a lot of off-road riding in the forest where things would constantly smack your hand otherwise? While I like having the stock hand guards, I'm not sure how much protection they actually provide...seems like zero to none in terms of wind protection. I guess it does keep some bugs off my I talian leather gloves.

Seems like a few folks have them and will chime in but I'm feeling chatty tonight so thought I'd add my $0.00.
    AdamChandler and scottydawg like this.
  7. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While I have a R1200 I’m pretty sure they didn’t change the stock hand guards. The stock units provide better wind protection than my BarkBuster VPS guards do. Even with the extra deflectors installed. However the Barkbusters provide protection that the stock ones don’t. The stock units are more susceptible to bending/breaking.

I can’t comment on the MAMs, I’ve just seen pictures of them here.
    scottydawg likes this.
  8. bigboyxl

bigboyxl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so still no valve cover protectors out there on the market right? isnt it strange? considering the GS is out for half a year already...
    igi2003 likes this.
  9. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  10. jpbadonk

jpbadonk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stronger and therefore more likely to protect your levers in a drop. More config options to block airflow/weather or allow for airflow (while still providing protection) in the summer.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Affirmative on all counts except last sentence - haven't crash-tested mine (yet)… :D
    scottydawg likes this.
  12. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    If you're looking just for valve protectors specifically for GS then sadly it seems that all big players are behind the ball... MAM was announcing their guards by spring '19 so since the spring just started, they should come up with their version shortly...

If you have either GSA or GS with factory crash bars then you do have options out-there...
  13. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    :nod

Ricochet guards are as industrial looking as they come but being at lowest price and together with reinforcement bars (Touratech/Altrider's coming up for Shifty as well), may be the ultimate on-the-budget solution for GS/GSA with factory crash bars - as long as "lookin' pretty" isn't your main objective... :lol3
  14. Tremblay

Oddometer:
    I didn't break mine either. My comments were based purely around the materials, and design. You have some contoured polymer that is mounted to the bars in two places. They take a hit just fine I suspect. But I also believe that a hit directly over your hand will result in them flexing inward significantly. They may not break, but they may not protect your hand either. The Barkbusters have a ridiculously thick aluminium spine that should hold up better to serious impacts.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  15. Dogslobber

Dogslobber Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not polymer, the spine is aluminum.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  16. bigboyxl

bigboyxl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks for the tip, didn't notice this option while scrolling 5 pages...

checked on their website says late May/June, so here in Europe probably mid/end of summer....

not so budget when shipped to Europe - almost 80 bucks for shipping + there is going to be customs and vat (+35% for both), in the end will be more expensive then MAM sourced locally once available....
    but as an idea looks good, maybe I'll be able just to fabricate something similar here if no big brand will come up will a solution
  17. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Machine Art Moto ADVAnce Handguards are indeed aluminum spined:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The wind inserts & riser are plastic.

This was not a light crash. they hold up to a baseball bat and low-speed crashes very well..about a dozen in total with no issues until this one.

Separate crash. they hold up just fine this time:
    [​IMG]

For the record, MachineArt Moto replaced my right broken piece but indicated they would not be replacing it again if I broke another one. They just wanted it back for R&D purposes. I would imagine idiocy is not covered by the warranty.
  18. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    A-ha... Sorry I missed to note you're in Eu... Get some Al sheet 3-4mm thick, brake press and a drill and you'll be in business in no time... :D
    bigboyxl likes this.
  19. Tremblay

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I might not have been clear. The OEM handguards are fully polymer to my eye, unless there is aluminum wire that the polymer is molded over.

I agree both the Barkbusters, and MAM guards structural components are aluminum.
    Dogslobber likes this.
  20. Dogslobber

Dogslobber Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That makes more sense. The OE is polymer as I have "modified" my OE handguards to work with my Barkbuster spines.