Acerbis 6.6 gallon tank install: '08 DR650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SeanF, Oct 26, 2009.

1. SeanF

SeanF Long timer

Oddometer:
    (This is also in the DR650 thread)

Acerbis offers a 6.6 gallon fuel tank for
    <strike>'92 and older</strike> 1992-1995 DRs. I wanted more capacity than the IMS 5 gallon model, and couldn't see spending $550 for the Aqualine 8 gallon model.

First, the physical differences between the stock tank and the Acerbis model:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We needed a few modifications to make it fit my 2008 model.

The turn signals are in the way of the tank well before full-lock of the handlebars, so I switched the mounting brackets to opposite sides, and then reversed them. This moved the lights up and forward a bit.
    [​IMG]

Spacers had to me made for the support bolt that runs across the frame tube. It helps to have a friend with a lathe who isn't afraid to use it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The spacers replaced a pile of washers and other kludgy bits.
    [​IMG]

Oil cooler and crash guard: The oil cooler has to move forward a few inches. The mounting tab was easily bent by hand. The cooler guard will take more work.

Oil cooler moved forward slightly; also cut out a section of the oil cooler guard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fortunately, 1/2" mild steel tubing fits perfectly inside the tubing used for the stock guard. Using a tubing cutter and a bender, I pieced together a new bracket that not only fits around the tank, but provides a little more coverage than the stocker.
    Mock-up:
    [​IMG]

Another angle:
    [​IMG]

Brazed and painted (sadly, my skills are lacking in both areas):
    [​IMG]

The angle of the tank doesn't quite match the angle of the seat, so I cut off the forward section of the pan:
    [​IMG]

...and the rear flange of the Acerbis tank is quite a bit thicker than the stocker -- so some tough love with a Dremel tool and a heat gun brings it into shape:
    [​IMG]
    (NOTE: Yes, that is a hole in the center of the rear flange of the tank [above]. We had a discussion about whether that flange was solid or hollow, because if solid it would open up more mounting possibilities. Turns out -- it's hollow. The hole was a test and easily patched.)

And now the seat foam gets some attention. After this pic was taken I leveled off the front of the foam and cleaned up the sides up front. An angle grinder used LIGHTLY makes a great foam sculpting tool.
    [​IMG]

The Acerbis tank has two petcocks, and comes with a length of fuel hose and a cheesy plastic tee -- I replaced it with a barbed brass tee.

Result
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next we'll make up some luggage racks from 1/2" CroMo tubing.
    REALGRAVEROBBER likes this.
  2. leonphelps

leonphelps TAT/Prudhoe Bay

Oddometer:
    When I had my 6.6 mounted on my WR250F, it ended up blowing out the fork seals while I was on my TAT ride. It gets very nose heavy and the front end plows through the sand/dirt. Very unsteady. I'd think about replacing the front fork springs to something stiffer if you haven't yet.
  3. SeanF

SeanF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Noted. I will probably start messing with suspension once I finish adding a bunch of extra weight. :lol3

Cheers:freaky
    Sean
  4. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    Isn't it going to be nice to only fill the tank when you feel like it?
    360+ miles to empty.
  5. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius)

Oddometer:
    Nice, just picked up an 02 and was thinking about this mod.

Not sure if it is worth the xtra hassle over the 4.9 gallon for me though. If I can up with a used 6.6 I might decide to give it a try.

Good work! :freaky
  6. REALGRAVEROBBER

REALGRAVEROBBER LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer:
    I hear that the fuel petcock attaches to the Acerbis 6.6 with self-tapping screws that only go into the plastic of the tank. Anyone have any trouble with this cheap design, or able to correct me that I am mistaken?
  7. SeanF

SeanF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Correct, that is how the petcocks attach.

No problems with it in 36k miles/6 years.
    REALGRAVEROBBER likes this.
  8. jet123

jet123 Using all my gears

Oddometer:
    There is a bike-specific index over in Thumpers. And there, you will see very few issues have been experienced with this tank / screw set-up.