Acerbis Koerta (Pressure Suit) Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Rogue_Ryder, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    http://mx1west.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=118

[​IMG]

After reading Tim Hall's experiences with the Koerta I was pretty much sold on this product. After going on a few rides with guys that had the sixsixone SP2 suit, I thought about getting that system, but after finding Tim's story and learning about the Koerta It seemed like the better buy. Cost less and looks like it has more Armor.

I ordered mine from MX1 West (I believe they're the only game around in the U.S. for this product, they give 10% of the purchase to Tim for sponsorship too if you mention his name). Customer service was great!!!! Amy was very helpful and courteous even though it took about 2 and half weeks longer than expected to get it. This was due to their shipment being held up at the port. Normally I get pretty frustrated with delayed shipments but Amy's coporation and professionalism still gave me a good feeling the whole time.

The back protector in this suit is probably worth the price alone. Very Very sturdy and well built.
    [​IMG]

The biggest size you can get is XXL but it's more like an XL in other brands. These run a little small. And that was apparent with the sleeves, if you got really big forearms or biceps you probably won't be able to wear this suit (*I don't know how big my arms are in Inches; I'm no body builder but I don't have skinny arms buy any means). There's a Velcro strap that goes around you arm a few inches above you wrist and I could just barely get it to hook together by pulling the sleeves down as far as the could go and stll retaining the elbow protection.

The Zipper down the front has "Fine Teeth"; I doubt it'll be a problem but was expecting a more rugged zipper like on my Darien or Joe Rocket Alter Ego Street Jackets.

Otherwise the fit was perfect, the good news is for you beer gut guys there's plenty of room in that area with this suit.

I put my Jersey Underneath and wore it on a trip out to the local ORV park. It's about 25miles one way. I did every track and loop they had and rode home a total of 65miles and the suit never hindered me in anyway or felt cumbersome or bulky. You do get a little hot if you sitting still or moving really slowly compared to wearing just a Jersey, but otherwise I have ZERO complaints so far.

I'll update in the future as I get more rides or experience any difficulties or deficiencies.
  2. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Thanks for the report,this is one I had not seen before.
    This will now be in the top 3 of my wish list,including the Rockgardn and the Bohn MX.
    Like the clavicle protection feature!

JR356
  3. BirtDike

BirtDike Like herding cats

Oddometer:
    Hi Dukeryder,

Timely thread my man - I posted this thread here just yesterday: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216137

Bugfnnuts/Tim Hall is a fecken legend! (If you haven't read his thread, do, you'll understand why)

Quick question re size - I'm long and thin(ish!) 6'4" and 34" waist - a lot of my height is in my back, and I have long (but not apeish!) arms. I don't want the thing to bag on my arms and chest, so would you recommend the Large/XL or the XXL?

Thanks mate.
  4. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    Hiya Greg, thanks for the write up.... this will be on my list!!

greg from pittsburgh
  5. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Duke. :thumb

Can you give us your jacket size/weight for fitment comparison? And any real-world pics you can post?

:beer
  6. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    I have rather long arms and torso my self, I'd say go with the XXL for the arm length the "Kidney Belt" seems to have a lot of adjustment shouldn't be a problem around your waist. If you've got a really skinny chest you might have a problem with the chest armor being too loose. If you can find a dealer that stocks them try one on first. I had to get my JoeRocket in XXL because when I tried on the XL the arms were too short, but fit perfect in the chest. That might give you some more room for comparison if your familar with Joe Rocket sizing.
  7. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    Will get some photos of me in it, next time I'm out off-roading and the Old Lady is nearby to snap some pics.

I'm 6'1" 250#, I think I wear a 48 athletic cut jacket I bought a suit for my Job Interview but it's been T-Shirt and Jeans at the office since then.
  8. BirtDike

BirtDike Like herding cats

Oddometer:
    Good call, that'd be appreciated. Also your thoughts on airflow and breathability would be great - I want to wear the thing through some proper hot countries, so it not being a pressure cooker is key to me!

Also, I'm a rugby playing Kiwi so I aint that small in the chest! Though at my 6'4" 205# I won't be kicking sand in your face anytime soon!:D

Cheers.
  9. nashopolis

nashopolis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ll chime in here as I too just got my Koerta suit a few days ago

As far as fit goes I am about 6’2” long torso, broad shoulders, long arms 180-190lbs

I usually wear a 42 or a 44 jacket and float between mediums and larges depending on brand

I got the L/XL and it seems to fit pretty well

This is my first pressure suit style get up and no time in the saddle with it yet
    I plan to wear it under unarmoured jackets etc.

It does takes a few moments to get it on but doesn’t shift around once in place
    one note

The literature says the back protector is removable but I haven’t figured it out yet
    (but I'm not that smart nor have I read all the instructions)

Many kudos to Amy ay MXWest
    My suit was also delayed several weeks due to the customs lay over but they stayed in touch and I wasn’t worried about it at all
  10. jmelaw

jmelaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nashopolis--sounds like we could be twins--same size. Thanks for input, as I'll likely be bying the same.

Question for all: How's the heat while wearing? I intend to wear both under a jersey and/or jacket (depending on season), but summers can get steamy here---is this an "all season" item or unbearably hot in summer?

Also: what's the length like? Do you tuck in pants, or is it short enough to ride above them?

Thanks-John
  11. bugfnnuts

bugfnnuts Somewhat Regrouped

Oddometer:
    Birtdike;

I am certainly no legend. I just managed to crash in a really cool place.

Dukeryder, I have the same problem with forearms and have had it with every pressure suit I have ever tried. This one is a little better.

The best solution I have found for overall riding comfort is to wear UnderArmour or another type of long sleeve technical clothing as a base layer to wick away moisture. The material works in hot or cold weather. It is very thin so it doesn't add bulk. It also keeps the mesh off of your skin.

Then get a jersey that is a size that is big enough to go over the pressure suit.

That is how I dress for the woods or harescrambles. Otherwise I put my jacket on right over the Koerta.

Hope you like it.

Amy and Jason are great aren't they?

Bug
  12. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    :thumb I made sure to write Amy back and tell her just how good I thought the Customer Service was. I normally never do that; so it's a true testament of how good they are.

BirtBike: One thing I can say about the Breathability is it's excellent cause it's all open mesh where ever there's not padding and you stay cool while riding. If you're sitting on the bike ideling you're gonna get hot though. It's nowhere near as cool as just wearing a MX Jersey; but there's no protection in just a jersey. I'll update in the future when the weather really gets hot it was only in the low 80s high 70s the day I tried it out.

Also the photos of me in it are comming soon.
  13. PackMule

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the updates, guys! :thumb

Sounds like I'm about the same build as Nash, so the L/XL should be for me.
  14. 514Advrider

514Advrider Addicted

Oddometer:
    Anyone knows if this would work with a Leatt neck brace, or would there be some interference with the collar bone shields?
  15. bugfnnuts

bugfnnuts Somewhat Regrouped

Oddometer:
    I am asking the same questions. I will be using a Leatt from here on out for anything other than woods.

I do not think it will work with the collar bone pads installed. The Koerta is shipped with them in a seperate bag. You put them on and adjust to fit.

I figure to not use them when wearing the Leatt but put them back on when not wearing it. They only take a few minutes to install.

The leat will protect the collar bone so it would prolly be redundant anyway.

Bug
  16. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's some pics of me in the Suit, for size comparisons.
  17. NorCalslowpoke

NorCalslowpoke Long timer

Oddometer:
    Timely write up.

this one is on my short list.

Summers in my area get pretty hot and it looks like the mesh of the Acerbis is better than most. I wish I could actually try one on.

I think I'll order one up. 6'2" 195lbs, sounds like the L/XL is the way to go.

Thanks for the photos.

Anyone else have an opinion on how it would breath in 90 degree+ conditions?

Of course only as compared to other pressure suits. I currently used an old Acerbis Zoom II chest protector, which breaths, of course, very well.

Cheers
  18. Oni

Oni Ronin

Oddometer:
    I just ordered one too. Been looking at pressure suits for awhile, was thinking of Fox or 661 but Bug's face plant thread did it for me and I got the Koerta.
  19. PackMule

Oddometer:
    I know it's been mentioned before, but it can't hurt to remind everyone -- if you mention Bug (Tim Hall) when you order from MX1west (the only US supplier?), they'll donate a portion of the proceeds to Tim's '08 Dakar effort. :thumb
  20. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    Should those back plates not be farther down your back to cover the lower vertebrae? Right now that last plate is going to place pressure on the lumbar area.

[​IMG]

A proper back protector will terminate on the sacrum as it it part of the lower pelvic structure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DW