Acerbis Koerta (Pressure Suit) Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Rogue_Ryder, Mar 26, 2007.

1. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    70 is not 'high speed' :huh
    You know that when you say 'dirt' there's actually trees and rocks and stuff right?
  2. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. The Yeti

The Yeti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, someone else in the U.S. besides MX1West sells the Koerta now? Not that I had any problems with MX1, great customer service and very fast delivery! :clap
  4. jackem

jackem Poseur Extrodinair

Oddometer:
    http://www.bajacycles.com/ stocks them in the store (along with a bunch of Acerbis gear), nice to be able to try on/buy -- great shop if you are in the San Diego area. :thumb
  5. mnormand

mnormand Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently sold my full mesh Koerta, just couldn't take the tight netting even tho it was the right size.

In turn I bought the Naked Koerta, and now layer it on top of an UnderArmor tshirt, and under my mesh summer (Frank Thomas) jacket, after removing the back and shoulder pads. Much better for me, everything fits well, not bulky, lots of airflow, jacket fits perfect, almost like everything was custom fit. I'm very happy with this, and feel very protected, especially with that big Koerta back protector instead of the usual cheesy foam pad from the jacket.

I plan to get some good elbow protectors for dirt riding with the Koerta over a jersey. Big vote +1 for the Naked Koerta for me.
  6. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:

Are the armors the same, just without the mesh? Specifically I'm wondering about the chest armor coverage.

Also, if you get a chance, could you take a pic of the armor on to get an idea of how much area/airflow is opened up?

Thanks. :beer
  7. mnormand

mnormand Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Sure thing, Out riding now with it , it's great. Pics later today.

Ok...back home now, I love this fit. Not too hot, of course its not friggin 100 like earlier this summer, only +/- 90 today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    So what's the concensus on the fit for tall, not fat guy - The L/XL size goes from 5'8" to 6'5" so that would mean the spine protector would be short on someone around 6'3" and 190lbs. My main worry is that the spine armor does not reach nor protect thte sacrum . Your views??

S/M 150lbs - 180lbs; 5'5" - 6'

L/XL 180lbs - 210lbs; 5'8" - 6'5"

XXL 210lbs - 260lbs; 5'8" - 6'8"
  9. MeanStreaker

MeanStreaker KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this is a stupid question...

Why wear a jacket over the full mesh Koerta? (Other than it being necessary in the cold.)
  10. header

header Chris

Oddometer:
    Large/XL should fit you just fine. Dont know specifically about protecting the sacrum, but I think it was covered a couple pages back.
  11. header

header Chris

Oddometer:
    Other than the cold I would wear one on road (pockets and abrasion resistant) and maybe in the rain, but otherwise you dont wear one.
  12. batman1939

batman1939 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, if you want the added security you could pop out the pads in your jacket and wear it over the Koerta. The padding in this thing is FAR superior to any jacket and it stays put (no sliding around). The back protection alone is worth the price.

In the dirt I wear a jersey over the Koerta (keeps it clean).

In the heat just the Koerta.
  13. header

header Chris

Oddometer:
    Thats a good idea, cleaning a jersey would be much easier than cleaning the suit.
  14. PackMule

Oddometer:
    Mnormand -- thanks for the pics. Think I'll try and trade my regular toward a naked at some point.
  15. Lord Quas

Lord Quas Dudely Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'2" and 160 lbs (i.e. tall and skinny). Anyone out there know how the Koerta will fit? Will being that skinny cause it to be sliding around?
  16. PackMule

Oddometer:

Nope. I think you'll be just fine. There is a lot of adjustablility on how snug you can make it.
  17. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    It will fit you well, perhaps even initially seem a little small. We are doing some fit testing with it comparing w/ a 661 Pressure Suit and AXO Air Cage. The Koerta runs smaller than the 661, and similar to the AXO.

It may actually fit well on you b/c you are thin. I have thicker shoulders, nd the cups have a fair amount of wrap. This causes them to sit on top of my shoulders somewhat.

The elbow cups do this slightly, but much less. The torso plates fit very well, the best of the three.

For reference I am 6' 215 lbs, and wear the 2XL. A key point: the Koerta (who named this thing?), like many other pressure suits, allow a fair amount of upsizing w/o negatively affecting the fit. The reasons for this are that the plastic pieces are all the same mold, and connected, but the "shirt" is what is graded for sizing. If the plastic plates have a good system of interconnecting, it is more comfortable to have the shirt be a little looser. Basically, I am saying the same thing as Packmule.

Brian
  18. PackMule

Oddometer:

In a much more descriptive way. You've always got great fitment notes on your site. :thumb

Guys with Popeye forearms seem to have the most trouble with the Koerta fit.

EDIT: Btw, Brian, have you guys gotten to take a look at the "naked" Koerta yet?
  19. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. I look at it on my distributors website every few days. Just to see when the "backorder" status will be dropped...

(BTW, supposed to be 12/7....)

That thing is nearly the ideal solution. Deleting the shirt from the design, but keeping the coverage, will make it MUCH more comfortable, fit more people, and not sacrifice protection. I am a little bummed that it drops the elbow guards, but I am DIY'ing them into my MSR jacket.

I am also going to test the EVS models next month. I am not a big EVS fan, I think they cut corners too much, and they thermalform the plastic pieces i/o injection. Thinner, not as rigid. But I do like their coverage, and they make sizes up to 4XL. Again, I don't really like them as a product designer, but people who have them love 'em, so I want to see what the buzz is about.

But the Koerta Naked looks really interesting.

BP
  20. PackMule

Oddometer:

:nod I'm willing to use stand-alone elbow protection or revert to jacket based pads for the increase in airflow w/o the shirt.

I'll also be happy to get rid of the gap in coverage over the sternum. Know anything about the Ladies version? Are the pads smaller? Chest piece looks more "solid".

:ear