Acerbis Koerta (Pressure Suit) Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Rogue_Ryder, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Myself also. I do not know the womens that well, but I have a partial recollection of it. IIRC the plates are similar to the mens, but they bulge outward to allow for the breasts. The Naked looks to be the best for minimizing the possibility of Scotts damper pain, because there is no front zip the plates have a very small gap.

Glad you mention this, protecting the sternum better is a no brainer. Most companies do not want to do it because the offset zip is viewed as a turnoff. My 661 has it, I don't mind it at all.

BP

BP
  2. atermon

atermon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    can someone with the xxl size suit measure the length of the back protector?
  3. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Sure, dimensions are as follows:

- Total Length from rear collar to bottom tip of protection: 26.6"
    - Length of back protector (foam) 24"
    - Length of plastic plates: 22"

They have great coverage, more than most other pressure suits.

There is also a model from Acerbis called the "Koerta Naked", similar to the Koerta except it does not use the mesh "shirt" tor its structure. The result is that it is a little more comfortable / less hot than a regular pressure suit. I personally prefer it, but it does lack elbow protection though.

Hope that helps!!

BP
  4. atermon

atermon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanx Brtp4
    it might be a little short for me though, if I'm measuring myself right :evil
    197cm tall 60cm from the base of neck to the waist.
  5. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    If I remember corectly the OP was similar in height. He posted pics wearing the Koerta, here is his pic from post 20:

[​IMG]

Hope that helps.

BP
  6. baron

baron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does the Leatt brace work well with this suit? Are there fitment issues?

tnx
  7. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Look in Post #140 of this thread...

a bit here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429998

Jonah Street has used the Koerta with Leatt brace and with the top straps removed.
  8. baron

baron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thnx cyborg...
  9. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:
    I have been using the 661 suit for a couple of years but was never very happy with the overall fit. I just got a Koerta suit and like the way it fits much better. The only problem I am having now is trying to fit the Leatt brace with it. The best I have gotten the brace to work with the suit so far is to remove the very top plastic button on the back armor so that I can slide the spine portion of the brace down behind the spine protector on the armor...then I have to remove the optional leatt straps and place the front portion of the brace inside the front of the armor. the big drawback to this setup is that it requires the use of a Leatt compatable jacket...which I do have but find it constricting. :gerg. The 661 armor was compact enough that I could wear the leatt over top of it or a rain jacket etc.

And a note on fitting: I am 6'3" tall and 200 lbs. I got the L/XL and the suit fits fine but the zipper just closes when I wear a layer under neath...so if you are jacked in the chest area you may need to go up a size.
  10. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    This is correct. I know some pros are using the Koerta w/a Leatt, but I suspect it has been modified considerably. The Koerta is a great protector but the rear plates are too thick and too high to sit the Leatt over. It is also quite difficult to slip the Leatt tail under it, as it is held to the upper back quite snugly.

One thing to note is that everyone has a different sequence for putting on gear with a Leatt. Some slip their Leatt on early, then protection, jersey, etc. Some prefer later. I think this causes a lot of confusion, because people will discuss fitment within two different sequence contexts.

I personally think a Leatt should go on as the 2nd > last or 3rd > last piece, after protection, jersey, jacket, etc., only followed by helmet and perhaps backpack (YMMV). This allows it be removed easily in the case of an injury, and is more comfortable. For this to work, there cannot be any upper plates on the back protector portion of a pressure suit, and no interference by the front plates. The Koerta is really sturdy and has a lot of coverage, and does not fit this description.

The best fitting one I have seen is the 661 Core Saver, as the upper back plates snap off, but it does not have shoulder or elbow protection. 2nd best I have seen are the Rockgardn Flak Jacket and Trailstar, which I am testing now. In general I like the Koerta (actually the Koerta Naked) better, but the fit with my Leatt is an issue.

BP
  11. Seth S

Oddometer:

I did a lot of looking before getting the Koerta but there wasnt much detail on this little leatt difficulty. I have seen the rock garden and it looks like it would work a bit better with the brace.

I agree with your layering description and I prefer to wear the brace over everything...putting it on last or near to last. I get chilled easily so I tend to wear the brace over top of my rain shell. If I can find my Leatt expander piece I may be able to wear it over the Koerta simply by lengthening the brace. I will report...take some photos at some point for others as reference.
  12. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    I do the same sequence....Leatt last, over a rain jacket, because it has the least interference in the collar area.

As a reference, check into that 661 Core Saver. Their solution for Leatt fitment is simple: no upper back plates. I plan to modify my Koerta Naked like this, remove the upper 2-3 plates. This will keep the brace from sitting up too high in the rear. I may also cut a u-shape in the foam to nest the rear tail of the brace in. Look at the 661, and then yours, it would not be that hard to modify.

I am also heading to the trade show in 2 weeks and plan to check there for new options.

BP
  13. Seth S

Oddometer:
    I located all of my Leatt brace adjustment pieces and I am going to try lengthening it so that it can fit over the top of the armor...I will report.
  14. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How does one pop the rivets on the Koerta? They seem plastic and I don't want to push them too hard. I'm looking to pop the top 2 plates to get the Leatt fitting better with the Koerta Naked.
  15. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Flip it over to the inner side. Then, either use a large wire cutter, or pliers, to either crush / distort the female part or cut it off. It will be easy.

BP
  16. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I already posted this on another thread, but I will post it here.

For those who wear the A Star bionic neck brace and have had to modify their A Star pressure suit/body armor to make them compatible, I just found out they will in a few months release a new body armor already cut out to be compatible with the bionic neck support.
  17. Solrider

Solrider Smiling Politely

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of picking one of these up and wearing it on top of the new Draggin Jeans kevlar shirts for summer riding:

[​IMG]

I live in Phoenix and have every intention of commuting this summer even in 115 degrees, so I'm wondering what people think of this combo.

Also, are there any other ladies out there sporting the Acerbis? I know Alpinestar makes a specific womans version, but I really like the added protection that Acerbis offers.
  18. jimrobinette

jimrobinette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Weezer,

Have you thought about the Koerta Naked for the summer? I live just west of Yuma and think the Koerta will be too warm for dirt riding this spring/summer.

Jim

19. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    There's a koerta lady version now...

On the subject of hot weather, I find that a lesser amount of controlled airflow is better than unrestricted (mesh). Mesh is like riding in a convection oven. :knary
  20. mnormand

mnormand Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a quick prop again for the Naked Koerta again. I use mine every single time I go out now. Road or dirt bike. Just pop it on under the winter or summer jacket with appropriate pads removed. Fleece jacket liner goes under the Naked if its cold. Otherwise just an UnderArmor Tshirt. I just take jacket and Koerta off at coffee/lunch stops, pile everthing on the bike over the gps, and sit where I can see it. Routine now, never think twice.

Everytime I see a crotch rocket with boy&girl in Tshirts, I just cringe, and glad that's not my daughters relying on some knucklehead to keep her safe.
    Sorry for the rant, but :puke1