Acerbis Koerta (Pressure Suit) Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Rogue_Ryder, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Koerta Naked. Most of the protection of a pressure suit but far more comfortable.

BP
  2. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    I bought a Koerta near the end of last year, and while it feels restrictive at first, when riding, it all goes away. So now I've picked up a Leatt, and combined with the pre-season trying on of the pressure suit ('how did I get used to it' feelings all over again), and the Leatt. . . . . I don't know if I can do it! They fit horribly together. The issue is in the back. The Koerta wants to spit the Leatt out, and it never feels nicely rested or comfortable. I considered removing just the top plate of the back protection, but the next piece down has a tongue of plastic extending under the one I was thinking of removing. Now, short of hacking everything up, how are you guys that are saying they are compatible dealing with all of this? I do not have the clavical straps on, as there was some missing hardware, and I didn't feel I needed them anyhow.
  3. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    THANK YOU for saying this....I agree, they fit horribly together. They can be made to work, but they are much less compatible than other pressure suits.

BP
  4. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    I've been monkeying around with it, even gone so far as to take pictures of it for the Flea Market, but I tried the Leatt completely under the Koerta, and it is not bad like this. I'll give it a whirl, and see how it works out.
  5. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:

That's how I wear it.
  6. Mozer2G

Mozer2G n00b

Oddometer:
    expt jacket
  7. header

header Chris

Oddometer:
    Hey, how is everyone cleaning these things?
  8. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    I've run my Koerta through the washing machine on Gentle and cold water, and mild detergent like Forever New that washes out completely. Get's the multi-day event sweat out pretty well and no damage to the suit. I always hang dry, no machine dry. Other times just to get the dust out I spray it off with a garden hose sprayer and let it dry. Works pretty well too.
  9. Happy Seal

Happy Seal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guys, trying to figure out which pressure suit to buy on a bit of a budget. 3 broken ribs says I need one but. I got a bit of a belly and I HATE wearing stuff that rides up, like the big chicks that wear those belly shirts that shouldn't be!!!!!!!! Is this suit long enough to not ride up. 6' and 240 what size would ya get if you were me. I know I am losing weight!
    thanks.
  10. jimrobinette

jimrobinette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy,

6' and 225. I first got a XXL, wore it one time and found it was just a tiny bit big for me. Not in the belly:cry , it fit ok there, but rather in the shoulders. So, I bought a XL and it seems to work well for me. Of course it fits a little tighter in the belly than I would like, but I'm working on losing that! Once I am out on the trail, I don't even notice I have it on.

I've shopped all over and never found one that didn't sit, what I would call, a little up on the belly. They all seem to ride up a little, but I'm happy with the Koerta. Seems to offer much more protection than the others out there, especially in the shoulder and back area.

It is just a little large in the shoulders for my Acerbis Desertika jacket to fit a loosely as I would like, so I thought about getting a different armor. Shopped again and couldn't find anything that I thought offered the protection of the Koerta. So, I gave up a little looseness in the jacket for the extra protection. Of course, I could always drop an extra $275 and get the bigger jacket!

If you are interested, I have a XXL Koerta used one time that I was about to drop on ebay or here. PM me if you are interested.

Jim

11. ranmafan

ranmafan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I finally found the ultimate piece of street gear that I was missing all along.

Could someone with the "naked" Koerta post a few more pictures/thoughts?

Thinking of getting one to put under a light textile jacket for street riding, but can't decide which one ("naked" or regular) would be easier to get in/out of quickly. So far, if I understand correctly:

- Regular: zipper (of questionable quality) in front, weak mesh (that will probably get torn quickly in day-to-day use)

- Naked: no mesh (and no loctite needed), single-piece chest protector (good), goes over the head (kinda bad?), elbow guards extra (maybe good - can remove them when off-bike and keep the rest on), probably about the same crashworthiness on the street otherwise

- WS/sleeveless: no shoulder guards?? Similar to Fieldsheer/Icon vests, I guess, but I don't see the point of having short mesh sleeves

(Too bad the back protector isn't level 2-rated, but for that price - oh well)
  12. ranmafan

ranmafan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. matkal

matkal Assault Commuter

Oddometer:
    Just got a 2XL, I'm 5'10", 220 and it fits great. I first tried it W/out the clavicle protectors and it was perfect. Then I installed them and put the suit back on, they hold the chest armor away from my chest at the top. Will this change after a while?
  14. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Yes. Eventually the collar bone protectors will bend and conform.
    Q~
  15. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    +1 but I used a small amount of Tide.
    Now it's clean enough that I can wear it to work. :wink:
    Q~
  16. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    What size jersey would you wear over the 2XL Acerbis Koerta pressure suit.
    I'm 6'1" (185cm), 225lbs (100kgs)
    (Klim Revolt jersey)
  17. matkal

matkal Assault Commuter

Oddometer:

I got a size 2xl MSR jersey, I'm 5'10"-225#, and it I think 3x would have been better.
  18. jimrobinette

jimrobinette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've bought a couple of 2XL's from different outfitters, and realized I wished I had bought a 3X. On the other hand, I've always worn TLD jerseys, and found a deeply discounted 2XL version of the regular jersey I had (prior to armor) and bought it. Fits great over the Koerta!

No idea why it fits so well, but it reinforced my fondness for TLD gear.

The shoulders of the Koerta are rather larger.

19. nevermind

nevermind over it.

Oddometer:
    Better late than never?

I have this shirt. The kevlar threads are very coarse and I can't wear it against my skin. If bet you could wear it over a long sleeve under-armor "heat" gear or any other type of moisture wicking under garment.

I was wearing it for road-rash protection, but I'm not sure it's really doing much with all the armor in the Koerta. Mine sits in a drawer these days and has been waiting quite some time to go for a ride...
  20. The Yeti

The Yeti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm wearing a 3x Klim jersey over my 2x Koerta, 2x was way too tight, especially with the Leatt....I can just get the neck hole of the 3x jersey over the Leatt.