Acerbis Koerta (Pressure Suit) Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Rogue_Ryder, Mar 26, 2007.

1. header

header Chris

Oddometer:
    Damn...well you will love the thing, I know mine really saved my ass (back) a few times.
  2. The Yeti

The Yeti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Better late than never, right? :D

My Koerta & Leatt get along just fine. I've been wearing this combo for two seasons now. However, I think I'm gonna do the mod shown above so the neck of the Koerta isn't quite so tight around the Leatt, that is my one complaint - not being able to zip the Koerta up very far, and the back of the neck hole on the Koerta trying to push up on the Leatt.
  3. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How does the Leatt work? I've got neck issues and like to ride off road /dual sport riding,and wondered if or how this could help me?
  4. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Did you guys know that Acerbis now have a new model. I think it replaces the Koerta and it is called the Kosmo. I saw one on the weekend, it is similar, only is in two pieces and the mesh only goes down just past the chest, not right down the front. It has a removable part around the neck which makes it compatible with neck braces. The mesh is more of a stocking type, not an open weave cotton type.
  5. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Know it well. Crashed in it recently in Moab. Broke 3 ribs :cry but the Kosmo suit saved me from far worse damage. Good stuff and the spine protector is less bulky than my older Koerta but I think even more protective. Suit is also cooler to ride in i.e I don't heat up as much as I did in the Koerta, plus the Kosmos is totally Leatt compatible with a removable chest section. I like the suit better than the Koerta.

One of the only pix I have of me wearing it since I'm usually taking the pix... I'm also wearing a Kreiga Hydro3 water system in the pic so that's the Kreiga harness in front of the chest plate.

[​IMG]
  6. ADVBedouin

ADVBedouin fly pelican!

Oddometer:
    Thought I'd share my experiance with the Koerta that I ordered, & returned; It's an awesome suit, no question, well built, sturdy, & a lot of protection for the money.

I'm 6'1", @ 190+ lbs, (athletic build?) & the Small/Med was the perfect size for me, a Large would've been way too big. The velcro wrist straps however were ridiculously small/tight & barely fastened over my somewhat skinny foreams.

Even with the small I found the shoulder cups didn't really sit on my shoulders, but floated off to the sides. If you try a Dainese on, you'll see how their shoulder cups hug the front/sides of your shoulders where you need them during crashes & impacts. They're the gold standard in my opinion of armor suits, pricey, but ultimately worth it & you can always find Dainese's on sale somewhere.

Otherwise the Koerta chest plates, elbow gaurds, & back protector sat right where they should & were very well designed. The 2 plastic padded clavicle/over straps make sense, but they also push the top of the chest plates outward making it a bit of an awkward fit. If I wore an XL jersey over the top of it, there'd likely be a big opening around the neck/collar for debris, roost, etc. to get into.

Overall the fit was just not quite right to make it workable for me; floppy shoulder cups, klunky clavicle pads, & puny wrist closures. Moral of the story is; make sure you can return the Koerta, or any other suit, because the fit can vary widely between different body types.
  7. mdfehrmann

mdfehrmann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So where is the best place to buy a Acerbis Cosmo, there are no dealers
    anywhere near me to try one on, I have ordered and returned a couple others and this looks like a good set to try out.

Thanks!
  8. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Try MX1West, they great to work with.

http://www.mx1west.com/acerbisarmorkoerta.aspx

Two Cosmo models

__Acerbis Cosmo MX Chest Protector__________Acerbis Cosmo Chest Roost Deflector
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mine is this model, the same size in my Koerta fitted in the Cosmo.

http://www.mx1west.com/acerbiscosmochestroostdeflector.aspx

[​IMG]
  9. captaincaveman1999

captaincaveman1999 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very helpful. I'm 5' 9" 180 lbs and as luck would have it, I'm right in between the S/M and L/XL. So I ordered the bigger size. It's coming on Monday.

10. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'9", 165lbs, and I find size S/M to be too big. It works, but I would prefer is much smaller.

D.

11. mdfehrmann

mdfehrmann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies so about sizing? Seeing as I am 5'10" 140lbs
    is this going to be too big? Just going on what some others are entering for height and weight comparisons I'm concerned about it. Man I wish we had a stocking dealer around here for these and Sidi boots....

Thanks again dudes!
  12. captaincaveman1999

Oddometer:
    What are you wearing over the pressure suits? Do your regular jackets fit comfortably over or did you have to get a larger jacket?

I ask cuz it seems I'll need to go up a size to fit anything over the Koerta. Even after removing all pads I doubt I'll be able to get any of my current jackets over the pressure suit. The shoulders and collar bone links are causing the biggest problems.
  13. matkal

matkal Assault Commuter

Oddometer:
    My XL Tourmaster Transition fits pretty good over mine without the armor in it.
    I wear either 2X or 3X jerseys over the Koerta. Me being 5'10"/225lb.
  14. captaincaveman1999

Oddometer:
    OK so did you have to size up in the Transition jacket or just removed the pads?

I like the protection of the Koerta but would like to use my existing jackets if possible. Gonna remove the collar bone links tonight and see if I can squeeze into my leather/textile jackets.
  15. matkal

matkal Assault Commuter

Oddometer:
    The Tourmaster is in my normal size, and I remove the pads.
  16. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
  17. Motodisiac

Oddometer:
    Here is how my Koerta fits. I really wish they made another smaller size. And I'm not even that small of a guy!

[​IMG]
  18. PomInOz

PomInOz Directions by Zen

Oddometer:
    I love my suit and it offers great protection BUT don't do what I did and rely on the clavicle pads providing the protection of a good neck brace.

This happened this weekend.

[​IMG]

I'm convinced the suit saved me from some other damage though. :wink:
  19. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ouch!
  20. Motodisiac

Oddometer:
    Ouch for sure.

I also did some testing yesterday, it works like a charm. Landed sideways off pretty big tabletop and ate it big time. A lot of pain today, but no broken bones :clap