Acerbis Koerta (Pressure Suit) Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Rogue_Ryder, Mar 26, 2007.

1. wparkinson

wparkinson Gear Whore

Oddometer:
    :huh:eek1:cry OUCH!!!

2. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:

Are you saying that the break was caused by your neck brace, despite the clavicle pads? (it makes sense, just trying to clarify the wording). :ear
  3. BlueMountain

BlueMountain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think what he is saying is he ONLY had the suit on and his clavicle still snapped, so not to rely on simply the suit's clavicle protection.
  4. header

header Chris

Oddometer:
    Something to remember..

The clavical is a bone that doesn't require a direct hit to break, it still can but to be at the angle to break a clavical by a direct hit you would have to be at an odd angle or hit by a bat or something. The clavical normally breaks when you land on an out stretched arm. Look whenever you get an X-ray, its always broke in the middle right at the narrow bend where all the energy is transfered.

The point of this? Don't try and brace yourself when you fall, its much better to just fall on your side and try to protect your head. Falling on an outstretched arm can cause many injuries, virtually break any part of your arm/shoulder/hand/wrist and many other problems. The protection you wear when riding is good at dispersing the impact so when I fall I just land on my side or something. I dislocated my left arm a couple of years ago and ive done it enough that the only reason I don't need surgery (yet) is im young and lots of exercise. If I wreck on my left side without my arm against my side it will almost always dislocate and I can't wear any protection that will actually help without immobilizing myself :lol3
  5. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:

I did this. I haven't been wearing the Leatt, but a giant high speed crash has changed my way of thinking. With the material cut, there is no epic battle getting the rear of the brace under the Koerta, it just slips right in, and zips all the way up and over the front of the brace. Thank you for the idea WParkinson. I just packed up the sewing machine. I have the same Klim jersey, and I stitched in a 9" zipper. Koerta on and zip most of the way up, then the jersey, Leatt, zip the Koerta, zip the jersey, and done!
  6. PomInOz

PomInOz Directions by Zen

Oddometer:
    Yep, correct, I had only the suit on, no neck brace, (I didn't own one then...I do now).

The break in the clavicle was caused by the rim of my helmet hitting my clavicle after my neck hyper-extended. I landed on the left side of my head, then left shoulder. The suit was shifted to the right, moving the RHS clavicle protector further to the right and allowing the rim of the helmet to pass to the left of the protector and hit my clavicle.

I didn't rush out and buy the neck brace because of the broken clavicle. I bought it because I think I was lucky not to break my neck! :eek1

I haven't modded the suit, I slip the back of the Leatt brace inside of the back protector, the front of the Leatt sits outside of the suit chest pads and then just zip up the suit. I can wear the brace and the suit pretty comfortably. Amply demonstrated this last weekend by going back to the sand dunes I was riding when I broke my clavicle! :rofl
  7. V-Stormer

V-Stormer Bush Basher

Oddometer:
    Don't count on it!. . . . I broke my right clavicle last year from a direct impact with the mirror on my bike in a major disagreement with some rocks and a large tree root. My torso went down on the front of the bike when it came to a sudden stop on the tree root. My chest/shoulder pushed the mirror stantion around until it went as far as it could go, then the remaining force of my body moving forward snapped my clavicle at it's thickest point. It was extremely painful and I lost a lot of sleep, 6 weeks of work, 9 weeks of riding and I still have some minor issues with the break.

If I was wearing one of these suits at the time, I'm quite certain my clavicle would not have been broken, although it might have been bruised. It is true that outstreched arms or shoulder slams into the ground can also break clavicles and may be more common, so this suit may not protect the clavicle against those kind of falls. But it should protect against the direct hit kind of injury I had. The only protection against every kind of motorcycle accident is not to ride motorcycles. No protection solution is perfect or will cover every situation, but IMHO, the more you have, the better off you are.

I'm going to purchase one of these suits tomorrow from someone who's given up riding (at least temporarily for raising children).

But I agree with the previous post to this, that a brace would provide extra protection from that kind of "helmet on clavicle" injury and I may be looking into a brace too. But hopefully with the clavicle protectors in place as well if it can be done.
  8. Happy Seal

Happy Seal Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, I bought the koerta last year. I wore it once and couldn't stand it. I wore it again last Saturday because I knew I was riding hard in some nasty singletrack. I immediatley into the ride felt uncomfortable. I couldn't move my head because the collar straps.
    I made it to a nasty rocky tree infested climb and literally couldn't move. I hit my head on a tree limb because I couldn't duck my head under it. I fell off the bike and onto a bunch of boulders all pissed off. I got to the top and took it off. I was gonna leave it up on this hill for the vultures to get it but my buddy talked me out of it.
    I was pissed off, the hardest part of the day was ruined. We went back to the trucks and I went w/ nothing and had a great ride.
    So tonight I decided it was sell time or mod time. this is what I did.
    1. I found a pad in between the back plate and the mesh, I removed it. This helps the suit sit lower and the armor is still there and suit is more comfortable.
    2. I removed the collar bone straps. ( your gonna break your collar bone anyway, like already mentioned) I put the hardware in a bag for later.
    3. I sewed on an extension ( my wife sewed) for the wrist straps that are made for peewee herman. so they are longer.
    I'll give it another try. wore it in the house tonight and at least can move my head. This tight new england singletrack is tough. you gotta be able to duck and twist your head around or you get caught on vines and branches.
    good posts guys. I hope this helps someone becuase it is a good suit.
  9. sTE610vE

sTE610vE First on the brakes, last on the gas...

Oddometer:
  10. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Thinking about buying a Koerta. (the full one, not Naked)

I'm 6'1" amd 190 so L/XL will be my choice. My question is What Enduro Jacket will fit over and what size? Im looking at the Klim Traverse and the Moose Expedition or Moose XCR.
  11. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    I think I had to go to a 2X Acerbis impact to fit over the Koerta. I'm about the same size as you. Arms are short on the Impact. OK in the attack position on the bike, but a tad short otherwise.

I think the Acerbis Desertika (leatt compatible) I have may be an XL. Much better cut than the Impact. Sleeves don't zip off, though.
  12. plv

plv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately "Naked" version has been discontinued by Acerbis :(
    If anyone finds LG size, pls let me know.
  13. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    They are avail on Ebay usually.
  14. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    I will be selling my size M soon, used less than a dozen times. Getting Dainese body armor with built in neck brace :)
  15. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth ... I just bought a closeout Koerta Naked, S/M. I'm 5-7, about 140 lbs., 37-in chest, wear size S jackets. With the elastic side adjusters fully tightened and the two bottom straps that pull down on the chest protector adjusted, it's a good fit. I don't have a gut, and the abdomen area is not loose. But I'm at the smallest end of who could wear it, I think. It lacks those plastic straps over the collar bones that are the source of complaints, but that's fine because the chest padding extends well up to the collar bones.

So perhaps if the full pressure suit in S/M is too loose for someone, the Naked with elbow guards will work ... if you can find one.
  16. AGOODHI

AGOODHI n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the description!!! I was worried about the S/M size, but now I think it should fit me good. 5'8", 170lbs, 42" coat size.
  17. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    I think that will work for you. I've plenty of room to "grow" ...

I've been trying to find a good jersey to wear over my Naked. Klim Mojave or something. But price seems high.
  18. AGOODHI

AGOODHI n00b

Oddometer:
    Got the Koerta naked. I had to loosen the arm straps all the way to fit. Eventually they will stretch so I'll have plenty of adjustment to tighten them up. Looks like the shoulder width is not adjustable, and it's a little snug, but again it should stretch out over time. For the torso area, I had to tighten them up all the way. I could see the pull down straps with velcro wearing out first since it has to hold down the chest plate. Overall I'm very happy with it, esp the back protector portion. Now, time to find an Omega X-1 brace for a good price!

I wonder if the L/XL uses the same plastic pieces with just the straps a tad bit longer?

--Ryan
  19. DanAllen

DanAllen ha-HAA

Oddometer:
    I been thinking about getting one of these pressure suits for street riding, as it gets very hot and humid here during the summer. How do you guys feel about hitting the pavement in one of these?
  20. DanAllen

DanAllen ha-HAA

Oddometer:
    Anyone ever crash on the pavement with a pressure suit on?