~ Across Australia Documentary~

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by George.Darwin, Apr 17, 2015.

1. George.Darwin

George.Darwin Burke and Wills

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone, my name is George, I've been a member on this site for 2 years. I wanted to share with you something I was part of in 2014 that completely changed how i looked at adventure riding. Back then i had never been off road with a motorbike, but i found myself planning an amazing trip across the heart of Australia. In this 7 part documentary i filmed, i document how i planned for the trip, selected my riders ( I own the bikes everyone rode on the adventure ) planned the adventure, and finally got it all together for an 18 day adventure. I made many mistakes and they are all out in the open for everyone to see. But thankfully the mistakes i made were limited thanks to people i met on here who helped advise me the whole way. During this adventure, we followed the footsteps of Burke and Wills, two famous explorers who died crossing Australia's Outback in 1860. Come and enjoy the adventure on Youtube by searching " The Burke and Wills Adventure 2014 Part 1" or go to this link https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+burke+and+wills+adventure+part+1 .
  2. Spaggy

Spaggy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds interesting. Just subscribed and I'll have a look when I can.
  3. George.Darwin

Oddometer:
    The first Part ( Part 1 ) kind of gives you a back story into Burke and Wills, for those who don't know who these explorers are. Remember I put this together not just for Australian Views, but those overseas. I also talk a lot about Australia so those planning to visit Australia can have some insight into what they are in for. But as you watch each part, I think 3 and 4 are really good as we hit the sand dunes, and the red dirt. clock on the link here for Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kFWkJQ3x7k
  4. George.Darwin

Oddometer:
    Here is Part 2. During this episode, we finally depart after getting the bikes south to Melbourne and preparing them along with all the supplies we'd need for 14 days. We get to test and check everything we have, and are taking along with us. by now you'd know we are all EX-Defence personnel, riding EX-Defence bikes that are 23 year old machines. Now the trouble starts, and the age of the bikes start to become a huge issue, and our adventure ride is questioned. Please enjoy Part 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHVRXVwKxYs
  5. George.Darwin

Oddometer:
    Part 3 and our ongoing issues plague us constantly and like the real Burke and Wulls adventure of 1860, our progress is slow. However soon enough we sort out these issues thanks to our Mechanic Chris who finds each and every fault these old Yamaha XT6003's through at us. Now the documentary starts to really heat up, and get interesting for those who love adventure riding. The next two episodes capture the true up's and downs you can expect to face, when crossing Australia. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG0AETqeRW0
  6. George.Darwin

Oddometer:
    By far my favourite chapter. Here we come together to pay tribute to SGT Wendy Jones. You see our Adventure ride isn't all about riding in the outback at full stick. Our ride is about seeing the country, being part of the soil beneath us, and seeing the same night sky the early explorers saw. This adventure was also a chance for us all to go and see the late SGT Wendy Jones, killed in a helicopter accident when the Navy lost Shark 02, in Indonesia while providing humanitarian support. She was a senior medic in the Airforce and we all knew her well. After playing our respects to Wendy, we hit the real outback finally and MAN IS IT GREAT.. No more problems from here, its all just high speed adventure from here. Do enjoy this chapter, i loved this part the most. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kAw12jOSUM
  7. GazzaFish

GazzaFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looks good. haven't watched it yet but as soon as i get a chance ;)
  8. potski

potski Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hi, or should that be g'day George. Darwin ;-)

Well, this looks like tonights entertainment solved... beats "the Voice" any day :-)

Been a massive fan of Les Hiddins (bush tucker man) stuff for years and inspired by his films have 4x4 travelled a bit in OZ; so great, this looks the same style and on bikes too. :clap

Cheers
    Potski
  9. George.Darwin

Oddometer:
    Mate thank you very much for the compliment. Yes I guess now that I watch the Doco i see what you mean about it having a real " Bush Tucker Man " feel to it. There is so much more coming and I assure you the last three episodes ( yet to be uploaded ) will be really enjoyable. If you're ever in QLD, let me know mate, I have a number of bikes waiting for a rider to go exploring with. George.
  10. potski

potski Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hi George,

Well, just watched parts 1-4 and it's clear ....it's an ADVenture; sure things went wrong, things in retrospect could maybe have been prepared better, but, above all what I am seeing is team of like minded well meaning guys re-enacting an expedition highlighting Australia's past explorers. Sure there were cock ups, sh*t happening etc. etc. but that's the way it goes...the way you have filmed it all and then with humour and compassion is (pardon the pun) well beyond the call of duty !!

As a 4x4 tour operator I camp for about 4- 5 months of the year in all sorts of "interesting" weather conditions and I'm looking and thinking, sh*t guys, where's your bl**dy tent? ... at least one between you all :D.... And your communication woes... tell me about it; communication between vehicles is the bane of my life :(:

Anyways, all in all great film and I'm looking forward to parts 5-7 where by the sounds of it, you go bush propper :evil

Cheers
    Potski
  11. George.Darwin

Oddometer:
    Yes mate, it sure is an adventure and things will heat up in the next three chapters. You mentioned you run 4X4 Tours, do make any videos to promote your work? This adventure ride i filmed isn't my work or my living, but clearly if it was I'd be shooting footage and making lots of these little documentaries no longer than 5 minutes long to pump my product out there. If you ever consider to make a short film about your work, let me know or watch Chapter 7, the final in the series as we go behind the scenes to show how all the documentary was filmed and what equipment was used. It's very easy to do all this, and I share it all in the last chapter. Thank you again for the kind words, as it makes it all very much worth the effort.
  12. potski

potski Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hi George....

Rather than ramble on here I've sent you a PM. :D

Cheers
    Potski
  13. Dashbaw

Dashbaw Fat Old Guy

Oddometer:
    Just viewed Part 1. Your Government training is showing through, very organized, just take everything and maybe you will need it, sometimes called "Natural Collection." I think I am going to really enjoy this trip and the ensuing "Rational Selection." Just take a "Free" sign!

Regards from Canader,

David :D
  14. George.Darwin

Oddometer:
    Hi all, the long await Part 5 of the Australian Documentary is ready for viewing. This documentary follows 5 former members of the Australian Armed forces, who cross Australia's Outback, following the footsteps of two famous explorers ( Burke and Wills ) Click on the link to watch. Feel free to comment or ask any questions, your thoughts are important and I'd love you to share them.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-GmR5SGdZU
  15. George.Darwin

Oddometer:
    Hi all, Part 6 is now available for everyone to watch and enjoy of our 4700km journey across Australia following two famous explorers of 1860. Click on the link and enjoy. George. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGg4MCnFJ6U
  16. potski

potski Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hi George,

Thanks for the update, I enjoyed it very much. You all certainly had your fair share of mishaps or is that ADVenture ;-) Great footage by everyone, especially some on the bike footage by yourself. You had/have a good solid group there all pulling together! Will keep a lookout for further "George Darwin" posts...travel safe.

Cheers
    Potski
  17. Dashbaw

Dashbaw Fat Old Guy

Oddometer:
  18. Proveick

Proveick Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's my bike!
  19. George.Darwin

Oddometer:
    Ok guys, the is the second last chapter of our epic adventure across Australia. In this episode we take on the Simpson desert over massive sand dunes. Please view and enjoy. Anyone looking to be part of our next adventure is welcomed to contact me as we have two more big rides coming up, and the only costs associated with the trip is your own fuel and food, so its cost neutral! enjoy part 7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8yErtY4ecA
  20. BryceB

BryceB It's OK, we know the Mayor!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the videos. I'm really enjoying them.:clap