Across Canada, anybody else thinking of doing it?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by wbrisett, Jan 7, 2018.

1. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somebody rated the top scenic roads in Canada.
    1. The Cabot trail in Nova Scotia
    2. The Icefields Parkway in Banff/Jasper.
    3. The North Shore of Superior in Ontario.

We drive from Alberta to Southern Ontario every other year and wouldn't miss the North Shore
    for anything. Southern Saskatchewan and Southern Manitoba make me look forward to self driving
    technology.
    outty and Sherwin84 like this.
  2. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you think Southern Saskatchewan is flat, you haven't driven the trans can in a Samurai:lol3.
    It's mountainous compared to Southern Manitoba.
  3. Sherwin84

Sherwin84 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha...no...I haven't done it in a samurai lol. I did in on a Road King with a stock 88ci which I suspect has about the same power/weight ratio as the Samurai haha. I've been through much of south Manitoba, and yes... At least south Sk has the badlands further west, and the Qu'appelle valley breaks up the southern flats as well. When I put some miles on within the prairies I usually head north. A couple-3 hrs north of my location and it turns into forest so the scenery is more appealing (to me) at least. North western Manitoba around Flin Flon is beautiful and reminds me a lot of the far east where I was b & r'd...
  4. smoltz

smoltz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be headed across Canada this year on the TCAT, likely around August. I'll be going from East -> West. Starting around Ontario / Quebec border. Headed to Prudhoe Bay.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  5. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    OP-where are you?
    I say anyone who can read or see can compare geographies? I grew up on the plains and miss those big skies and sunrise/sunsets not seen from my KY home shrouded by hills in all directions. My MIL's house doesn't get sub until 10 a.m. and the sun hides soon after. When weathers coming in at my house I hear it hitting the trees way up the holler but never see it until it's overhead. There's much to be said about the choice of words in the Kansas State Song I learned as a child. The buffalo part has changed a bit though...
  6. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    BTDT quite a few times.

Over the top of Superior is nice if you like trees lol There are some nice scenic spots to see the Big Water but mostly tress.

Usually I go through Sault Ste Marie and into the UP of Michigan and then to Duluth where you can get back into Canada
  7. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    2 out of 3 crossed off!!!
    Maybe the 3rd this year?
    :D
  8. Newstrom48

Newstrom48 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did loop of north TCH from Edmonton to St. John's NFLD and south TCH to Victoria and Tofino and then up to Prince Rupurt back to Edmonton a few years back to celebrate 50 years since TCH opened. Took 3 weeks. If you take a week to get to St. Johns's, won't be much time for sight seeing and getting back home. It is about 8000 km from St. John's to Victoria shortest route that is all pavement. Shipping bike to St. John's and then shipping home from Vancouver/Victoria would be good to increase tourist time.
  9. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    I did the trip from Vancouver to Halifax (and back) by car just under 10 years ago; very memorable trip that I would recommend anybody do.

However, we rented a car rather than taking our bikes and I am very glad we did so. Although the prairies are beautiful in their own right, there's basically nothing to see for days and days and days. The absolute worst part is western Ontario which has limited roads, limited speeds and there's nothing but trees and rocks for thousands of kilometres. It was rather unpleasant. I have nothing but fond memories of Montreal and Quebec City and all of New Brunswick, PEI and Nova Scotia. BC is incredibly spectacular but I think the Maritimes may be the most beautiful place in Canada.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  10. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Safe to say that if you like one of those areas....you will not like the other!
    There are city people and there are country people. Neither are better...or worse.... than the other.
  11. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    Absolute rubbish as far as I'm concerned.

The trouble with western Ontario for me is that there is absolutely nothing of interest whatsoever (except for a few rather large lakes). It ain't like BC where you go from mountain pass to stunning valley to dense forest to arid plateau to lush orchards to... I found lots of beauty in every province, including Ontario, within and far outside of metropolitan areas.
  12. lifeofliberty

lifeofliberty If you're bored, you're not living

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on heading up there this year. Like the OP, a camera, tent and fishing rod will be in my kit, going slow. Which means going alone may be preferable since I don't want to worry about being anywhere at a specific time or even having to return by such and such date.

I may only explore one province in detail (BC), go up and down, back and forth sort of thing, choosing different roads. That'll let me get to the coast too - and the mountains and a bunch of dirt and fishing on the way.

My riding isn't to go fast - it's intended to enjoy what is there. I still don't know if I'll be riding a street bike or a dual-sport, sort of depends on the route. The dual-sport will definitely allow for more route choices.
    dustin2 likes this.
  13. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    My dream ride has been Maine to Alaska with all but the first & last mile in Canada. Only must was north shore of Superior.
    Was waiting to get a big bike (check) and a camper/trailer. Now I just need spousal approval as well.
    TwistTheWrist and AdamChandler like this.
  14. Sherwin84

Sherwin84 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In a nutshell... To the OP... Please plan and execute your cross Canada Trip, coast to coast including Newfoundland (don't take VIA rail's definition of canada)... Report to us as you journey what you like and do not like about each portion of your journey. Don't be derogatory, don't be negative. We all have different tastes, but one should leave each other to form their own opinions through their own personal experiences. Whether we prefer gravel or slab, flat or mountainous, straight or twisty, leave each to their own desires.
  15. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a trip across Canada in the near future....would love to read a detailed ride report about the trip :thumb
  16. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeh, I get that. I like a lively discussion but not much on disconnected arguments, life's too short? I actually liked the idea of ride partnering across Canada with smell the roses, fishing, etc.... Either way we'll probably do a CA fishing trip this summer that got trshed when I had to get my 2nd THR in July when it became obvious sitting a boat was problematic.
    I'll throw this out: we came through Orlando yesterday where the tourism is alive and well and I-4 is heavily messed up too. I'll say that I'd trade a bit of lonesome prairie for every bit of that touristy nightmare that turns some people on, not this feller! How much crap can you pile in one place?
  17. RJ44

RJ44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well said. Northern Ontario and Northwestern Ontario are hardly a "yawn". Saskatchewan maybe, but like TheShnizzle suggests, stay South (or even North) of the TransCanada.

Rob
    kantuckid likes this.
  18. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is turning into an oil thread :lol3
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  19. outty

outty (☞゚ヮ゚)☞

Oddometer:
    I live in Alberta, every time I leave my home I'm either heading due south or due west - never have I wanted to travel east. I had to go to Winnipeg, MB in a U-haul cube van and it was torturous.

One day, I will make the journey, because the east coast of Canada looks just as majestic as the west coast.
    dustin2 and Tewster2 like this.
  20. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    Huh. Must be a different western Ontario. Ontario, California maybe?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    hubilado, powderzone, CaseyB and 2 others like this.