Across Canada, anybody else thinking of doing it?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by wbrisett, Jan 7, 2018.

1. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    Same Ontario but I just didn't get to see the things in the 3 pictures you posted. I have no doubt that you can find some incredible things in that part of the country but it sure ain't along the 1500 km stretch of highway between Winnipeg and Sault Ste. Marie. That's the point I was making.

I've crossed many long stretches of vast nothingness and enjoyed them all but that part of Ontario will always stand out to me as the most nothing-est of all.
  2. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    That bridge in the background of the first picture is the highway from Winnipeg to Sault St. Marie.

The canyon in the third picture is about 100 yards off the highway.

Northwest Ontario is a huge tourist destination.

Other than the insanely high provincial park fees, of course.
    outty and dustin2 like this.
  3. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pay parking in Day Use Areas.
    WTF is Ontario thinking? I remember the days when access to provincial parks was free.
  4. outty

outty (☞゚ヮ゚)☞

Oddometer:
    Expensive to maintain those parks, I'd imagine they need all the revenue they can muster.
  5. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    and great big piles of free split firewood!!
  6. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seriously, Ontario started charging for parking at the day use areas near the Sault years ago.
    Now you get a ton of cars parked just down the road on both sides of the trans-can creating a pretty
    hazardous situation. People just want to go to the beach.
    Let's not start on camping fees, free wood or not. For that money I should get
    concierge service an a free robe. We stopped at Grundy Lake last summer and found
    the roads in the campground nearly impassable and most of our site under 3" of water.
  7. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's no different in the USA. We pay a day use fee in the National Forests here. If I cross the fence on our land I'm supposed to have a tag.
    Seems the thread's moving upward since the Canuck's started to add some specifics/clarity.
    Our snowbird trip in FL state parks in progress now costs $30plus per day. The several hundred thousand $$$ motorhomes around me pay the same fee while they have the A/C on all day to keep the dogs happy inside while they drive around on a non-stop shopping event...We have had our camp trailer a couple years and never tried the A/C as yet, especially when the weathers been near perfect?
    Another rant item is people have turned these campgrounds into pet parades! Yes, I do like dogs. The natural plant barriers between most campsites are where thousands of dogs piss while on their owner/dog parade around the loops. They also take a dump which most clean-up bit fact remains it smells like dog piss at the campsite openings. All the free firewood in the world wont make the piss smell go away. When you meet a dog owner these days it's obvious one is supposed to acknowledge the dog as if it's expected, common courtesy. Back in the days I worked in a super market you could brag on peoples kids w/o being thought of as a serial killer, now it's about the dogs. You can be looking at the neatest terrain features like waterfalls, a moose along the road, etc., but a dog gets more interest now days.
    Back to Canada, lets here some neat roads for the OP to try out?
  8. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    OK, as a MB resident:
    You'll come into MB on Hwy 1 (Ont. 17)
    Take a right on 44 towards West Hawk Lake right at the border.
    A right on 307 into Whiteshell Prov Pk (shouldn't need a park pass, just tell them you're travelling through to Seven Sisters).
    If you're planning to stop to see some of the nice short hiking trails to various sights, then a day park pass is good to avoid getting ticketed.
    Left on 11 back to 44, then 44 west to Lockport. Cross the bridge and view the river locks and boat traffic.
    Lower Fort Garry is a good historical stop just north of Lockport on Hwy 9.
    Don't know what you're interested in for Winnipeg - history, restaurants, festivals, music?
    Or you can bypass around the perimeter hwy (101) to the west.
    At that point some decisions need to be made regarding route - further north (ends up in Edmonton) or south (ends up near Calgary)
  9. Sherwin84

Sherwin84 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The TCH compares to many of the interstates I've been on. They are great if you're wanting to put the miles down at a higher speed, but if you're wanting to see the interesting things and "enjoy a ride", its not all good. That being said, I loved parts of the I70 through Colorado, and the TCH through parts of Canada are absolutely awesome. I'll agree that it's not the most inviting for a bike on the prairies, especially if you happen to be passing through on one of the 360 days of the year when the wind is an absolute nightmare lol. HOWEVER...if you're wanting to slab it and make some miles...the TCH or interstates are the way to go...
    Tewster2 likes this.
  10. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I LOVE i70 ......that's a pretty nice freeway. I like the fact that in many places it's one way and you never see the oncoming traffic which is somewhere on another ridge.
    Sherwin84 and Tewster2 like this.
  11. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    In that locale where I-70 becomes enticing as a road there lie nearby some much better spots off road and on foot!
  12. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    ‘Cept the Mrs Tucker is following on her BMWR1200GS and dislikes off road. That’s OK....I’m happy she’s riding. I’ll stick to blacktop when we ride together. She tried a TW200 off road, that was fine, but it’s not a bike we want to ride from Los Angeles to Denver on.
  13. KSO

KSO Grab a Handfull

Oddometer:
    I'm in the early stages of planning a trip across Canada, east to west my self. The trip won't happen till 2019. Lots of great information out there, some comments I will consider and some no. Once I get thru most of Saskatchewan I'll drop down into Montana and head home. The prairies up north is something I just want to see and experience. Been on the western side of Alberta and thru out most of BC. It's all an adventure, right.
  14. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    My key words r.e., . I-70 near Glenwood Springs was "on foot". There are also some dandy streams there!
  15. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    36 years ago I was young and foolish. I rode a Honda CB125 street bike from Vancouver (SFU) to Newfoundland and back. I took 2 months and went almost everywhere.

The last of my family obligations has died or disappeared so I might do it again some time soon on a 250cc size motorcycle.
    Maggot12, dustin2, AdvRich and 2 others like this.
  17. hookeniggy

hookeniggy Good at getting lost

Oddometer:
    I've done eastern Canada, New Brunswick Nova Scotia New Foundland and Labrador until my bike broke down and could not find the right parts in Canada, Canada post was on strike that year as well, and send the parts i needed from Europe back, from the port of Saint John, where i was waiting it out for two months by that time, i was really happy to find a fellow traveler to share motelrooms and cost on the TLH, and spent nights in youth hostels as well would have gone through the whole of Canada. its nice but expensive, if you're not tenting it.
  18. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I trimmed some bickering out of this thread. A complaint called my attention to it. I can see how it got started (again) so I understand some of the reactions, but we shouldn't trash someone's trip planning thread with side arguments. As we go forward, thanks for staying on topic and avoiding antagonistic remarks. :D
    Tewster2 and dustin2 like this.
  19. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK
  20. Also Ran

Also Ran Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heading west from Ottawa July 1st/2018. Wife and I will be camping and strolling to Vancouver Island over ten days. If any of you see the Yellow DL1000 "Flyng Banana" or "Beezuki" maybe we can churn up a few miles together. If your looking for camping space any other time in the Ottawa area lemmi know. As for skipping Northern Ontario and the prairies. That would be your loss. North Ontario has awesome scenery and roads and yes the prairie roads are straight but at the right time of year the view is amazing. Plus you can look at it ALOT since you won't be maneuvering a curve any time soon.:D Cheers
    kantuckid likes this.